Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Sportster 1200T and Custom, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Amos Iron Wolf
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default EVO Sportster 1200T and Custom, a few questions

Having already seen, heard, read, plenty of hands on folks about what a great engine and bike the EVO Sportsters are I do have a couple of questions.

If I understand it correctly the 1200 Custom and the 1200 Tour have the larger 4+ gallon fuel tanks. What kind of mileage and what kind of range are people actually getting with those setups? Heavier loads and just solo with no gear?

As the wife has ridden with me a little more on the 93 FLHS and then back on my 94 Shadow VT1100C we have discussed the experience on both bikes. She actually likes the look of the VT1100 more. (Could be the color too, but who knows.)

She also stated that she is a little more comfortable on the FLHS, but enjoys riding with me more on the Shadow. She feels more part of the bike and the ride and she feels closer to me on the Shadow. Not in a cramped way, but in like we are riding together. I also find it is a heck of lot easier doing slow speed piloting and stopping gracefully with her on the back with the Shadow vs the FLHS. So for now it seems Shadow 1100 is the two-up around town and short runs out of town bike and the FLHS complete it full tour pak is my solo bike and doubles for pure highway miles. The VT1100 sucks for range on the fuel tank. And for MPG.

So this has me thinking that a carbed, EVO Sportster 1200 Custom with saddle bags and passenger backrest or the 1200T would probably work well for us both double and as a solo for me.

How is the passenger comfort? Most issues she had on the 2012 Shadow Aero (21K miles in 3.5 years) with Mustang seat was because of the peg position. It was not only rough on her knees, but on a 5'9" 23 year old fit female that used to ride with me sometimes. Peg position on the VT1100 is good and doesn't bind up the knees of the wife or the friend (who is now stationed in Turkey).

Gotta admit, I like the reputation the EVO Sportsters have for being well designed and built engines and being pretty trouble free.

I appreciate hearing from folks about the mileage, range, comfort, and handling both solo and double.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:15 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf
I appreciate hearing from folks about the mileage, range, comfort, and handling both solo and double.
Riding solo on my almost stock 1200 with the 4.5 gal tank, I can do 150 miles before anxiety sets in and I start frentically looking for a gas station. The empty gas warning light comes on at about 125 miles.

The stock seat sucks for long distances and you may want to buy a spare seat like the HD sundowner for touring.

For the rear suspension, it depends on whether you have the 1200C or the 1200T. The T comes with premium suspension and if you are not heavy, that might do.

The T also comes with a windshield, which is great for going long distances at 70+ mph.

You should probably also consider upgrading the front fork springs/oil.

HTH.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have an FLHS, owned from new, plus a SuperLow 883 ditto. Mrs B and I ride 2-up on the Glide, but we both ride the Sporty solo. We have members who ride 2-up on Sporties, but the few photos I've seen suggests they are slim and fit, not very big! Mrs B and I are of a more ample form and wouldn't entertain riding a Sporty 2-up. We have a tourpak on the Glide which she loves, so that is our favourite for trips out together. There are many ways to make a Glide, even an old one, much more user friendly for both riders.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Amos Iron Wolf
Cruiser

Sounds like if we went that route it would be the 1200T. Shield and bags are a must even for me rolling solo. The adjustable suspension sounds good too.

Between us we were about 20 lbs over the data plate on the 12 Shadow Aero with bags and windshield taking it a little more than that. I ran it with the shocks set full out on the back. Actually, it ran us both around quite well even in hilly terrain and that with it being a 750. It was the passenger peg placement that was the major issue. Progressives would have made the Aero a little nicer suspension wise, but it handled things a lot better than you would think it should.

Riding around yesterday on the 94 Shadow 1100 in town over some rough sections of road with both of us the wife even felt the Shadow was more comfortable over rough stuff than the FLHS. It was certainly a lot easier for me to pilot with her on the back than the FLHS at around town and low speeds. Love the wife, but she puts some weight up high on that back of the FLHS. And my old legs ain't what they used to be. One thing I noticed is that with Ms Kitteh (Her initials are CAT) on the back the at rest lean zone of the FLHS is extremely narrow where solo I can toss it left to right under me much further before getting to the no return point.

With the Aero 750 at highway speeds of 70-75 with both of us or solo it usually meant 112-120 before the light came on. Running around 38-40 MPG. Drop below 65 even when running the constantly changing elevations and steep hills of things like FM 337 near hear and range and mileage went up drastically. With the 1100 you are thinking fuel at 70-80 MPG. So we can't run the same places with the 1100 we used to with the supposedly undersized Aero 750. The 750 btw would do 90 MPH max indicated with both of us on it with shield and bags, but only 85 MPH with me. LOL

So I guess what I'm trying to see what will replicate the lighter frame and handling for us together of the Shadow 1100 with a reasonable fuel range while still packing saddlebags and a windshield.

Weird that I find the FLHS a much more fun solo bike and the Shadows more fun for two up for both of us. I do wish there was a HD dealer closer to us than 2-3 hours we could go to and try out some different bikes. I work split days off and have a lot of other things crying for my time on those days lately it seems. Not to mention the HD dealers are mostly in San Antonio or Austin and I really don't want to go test riding a strange bike two up in that traffic.

GR, like the fairing on the FLHS. Would kind of like to do that to mine. I'm thinking Mustang seat for me is priority though. Ms Kitteh is just fine with her seat.

Okay, rambling now. I'll stop.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Amos, I bought my FLHS new and it is rather like a trusty old axe - has had several new heads and handles over the years! It is much developed beyond original spec with Ohlins suspension, S&S engine and a whole lot more. The batwing is actually off an older shovel. As a fellow Evo owner I recommend you pop into the Evo section, to meet up with fellow Evo and FLHS owners and we can all chew the fat!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I have almost a 1K on my 3 wk old T now. I ended up with the T because of the diff of finding a custom with ABS. Otherwise I probably would have got the Custom. I went with the Sportster because of cost and the EVO and I only ride solo now and that won't change. The bags for any kind of touring are just not there (IMO). They are very small, difficult to load, and other stuff. I knew that I would have to replace them. The seat has already been replaced with a Mustang. The suspension is one up loaded adequate, I think. I will replace front springs next yr or maybe sooner. So far there are not a lot of tire choices. FWIW, I have put quite a few miles on 1200/1800 GWs and 1600 Kaw Nomad. Back in the day I just used bag pack, tent, bag tied to a sissy bar on a 73FX Shovel--it worked fine for me--back then. Although the engine can do it I wouldn't look at the 1200T as a good 2 up tourer, but I am sure it is fine for many. Hey the stock seat even has a strap for the pillion. Now that brings back some memories, lol.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Amos Iron Wolf
Cruiser

Yeah, probably pushing it going Sportster for us. Though we probably won't be doing more than the very occasional overnight given the things usually work out timewise. Mostly will be day trips in the under 200 mile range and a few over that, but still back home in the evening. I'd rather spend several hours riding backroads and making little stops here and there than blasting down a major highway eating miles for a full day. I find the full speed, big ribbons boring.

Having not been on a Sportster I can't compare it to the 1100 Shadow, but was thinking it would be similar, though the Sportster frame seems a little tighter than the Shadow. I recall seeing my old Aero 750 sitting by a 1200C where I used to work once and was amazed that the Sportster looked a little shorter in the frame and like a smaller bike with a bigger engine.

I just wish the 1100 had a larger tank and more range. If it did I would set it up for us with bags and a small to medium leather tail bag It already has a small handy bag attached to the backrest.

Oddly enough I get less shoved forward with the wife while on the VT1100 than I do on the FLHS. I wish I could move the Tour Pak further back, but the mounting holes have it about as far back as I can go without redrilling the mounting plate. I may have to look at that. As it sits it looks like there is about 3 inches of passenger pillion wasted.

When I look at the Road Kings and similar bikes it doesn't look like I lose much in terms of bike weight or seating changes. The FLHS is practically a RK with full luggage already.

The preferred alternative is to tell mi esposa to lose 40-50 lbs. That's probably more like lighting a cigarette with a torch lighter right over your tank while fueling up. A rather flammable situation.

I guess we're just going to have to get out when, if we can, and try out some bikes with both of us on them. There are nice things about being away from major cities. Occasionally, there are some real disadvantages. The advantages win, but there are rare occasions such as wanting something from Arby's, some good Greek food, or checking out a variety of bikes. All the those involve a three hour trip one way.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I don't want to put you off buying a Sporty (it took me long enough to get round to buying one for myself one!), but there is plenty of room for two on your FLHS, although that may well involve putting in a little effort to achieve. The stock seat, if you still have it, is pretty awful, probably way past its best after 20+ years. A change will make both of you more comfortable. The tourpak can be relocated to improve room using a simple kit, which shouldn't involve any drilling or other mods. There are ways ahead!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Amos Iron Wolf
Cruiser

Thanks.

Yeah, the stock seat is about as bad as the stock seat on a Honda Shadow and will have to go for me. I'm a big believer in Mustang seats.

I just put a post in the EVO forum about changing the Tour Pak to a backrest/luggage rack which might lower the center of gravity just a tiny bit. Or not. But I kind of like the look and idea. It's worked well for the wife and I on other bikes. Just as long as she feels like she won't slide off she is good.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:32 PM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf

The preferred alternative is to tell mi esposa to lose 40-50 lbs. That's probably more like lighting a cigarette with a torch lighter right over your tank while fueling up. A rather flammable situation.
You are probably right on with your analogy. OTOH, I lost 50# last yr and at 170 I still could only go about 2 hr on the stocker so it probably isn't worth the risk of blowing yourself to kingdom come anyway--just in case you are still thinking about it.