Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 924 Posts
Default brake upgrade ?

I know there's lots of info, much of which I've researched already. So hope you don't mind me asking a few questions specific to me to help me dial in my choice.

Looking to upgrade my stopping power. Not looking for bling and bragging rights. Just good ole fashion boring utility. I'm NOT swapping to ABS or dual front so please don't recommend that so we can keep the replies relevant.

Current brake situation - XL1200N with Magnum Shielding front brake line, fresh fluids as per FSM spec, straight factory rotors (it seems) and properly bled. I purchased bike used so don't know what pads are on there but assuming factory. I sometimes ride on the spirited side but far from knee dragging.

Rotors -
I called EBC and the tech said my stock rotors are fine. Not going to get any real world additional performance by buying a new rotor. My 1st question is,...does this sound about right? I see lots of rotors with fancy cuts, slots, holes, etc.. Just don't know if that's all show? I understand floating rotors and it seems that feature is only practical for racing, not going to do me much good on the street.

Pads -
He recommended the HH https://ebcbrakes.com/product/double-h-superbike-pads/ or EPFA https://ebcbrakes.com/product/extreme-pro-brake-pads/ which are a notch better. If EPFA are better I would just as well get them regardless of the higher price. Unless someone here has objection? I see lots of good HH reviews but not much on EPFA. Maybe they're newer?

Also, the rear brake locks up too easily,..as you all know. I explained this to him but since he was not familiar with Sportsters specifically, he mentioned maybe doing the EBC organic https://ebcbrakes.com/product/organi...rcycle-brakes/ in the rear. I guess organic pads have a lighter touch? I'd appreciate any thoughts on getting a bit more stopping power out back IF that's possible without a ABS or caliper swap.

Thanks in advance.

And I'll head off the wise guys by saying,...yes I know it's a Harley and no I do not expect high performance.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:16 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

floaters give better performance, contours dissipate heat better than non.

cheap upgrade.... lyndall z+ pads: https://shop.lyndallbrakes.com/collections/all/Brakes

Old 06-22-2017, 03:31 PM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Cvaria is the brakes expert around here.

That said... you can see my build thread in sig for what I went with. EBC contoured floaters and stainless braided lines front and rear (consulted Cvaria on purchase). I'm happy with the upgrade.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:50 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadrubberboy

That said... you can see my build thread in sig for what I went with. EBC contoured floaters and stainless braided lines front and rear (consulted Cvaria on purchase). I'm happy with the upgrade.
no way an expert.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:54 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Be Careful

Be careful! If you stop your Sporty any faster than factory brakes can, you just might find yourself pulling a car outa yer ars!

Old 06-22-2017, 04:07 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

cvaria,
Most of what I'm finding on floating vs solid is better heat dissipation which means less chance of warped rotors. Since I'm not boiling my brakes I'm not sure there's actual braking value in upgrading to a floater? In other words how many feet will I stop shorter if I'm out for a loaf of bread and have to stop in a hurry?

I'm not saying floaters won't stop me better. I'm questioning where's the data that shows they will in real world application?

I have an email into to Lyndall about this very question. I'll report back what they say.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:11 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Be careful! If you stop your Sporty any faster than factory brakes can, you just might find yourself pulling a car outa yer ars!
The reason I'm inquiring about upgrading brakes is cause a car pulled out in front of me and I almost ended up in his ars!

Old 06-22-2017, 04:16 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadrubberboy

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on your REAR brake functionality stock vs current? I'm assuming your $300-$350 deep into rear braking alone (rotor, pads and line). Did you do the sintered pads? They still lock up easily? Do they provide stopping power or stopping assistance? (I know rears aren't supposed to flat out stop you. Asking for illustrative purpose)

Old 06-22-2017, 07:16 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Red face

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
cvaria,
Most of what I'm finding on floating vs solid is better heat dissipation which means less chance of warped rotors. Since I'm not boiling my brakes I'm not sure there's actual braking value in upgrading to a floater? In other words how many feet will I stop shorter if I'm out for a loaf of bread and have to stop in a hurry?

I'm not saying floaters won't stop me better. I'm questioning where's the data that shows they will in real world application?

I have an email into to Lyndall about this very question. I'll report back what they say.
contours will help with fade, not so much with emergency braking. to be honest, beefing up your brakes to not hit something may be the wrong approach. may actually hurt you.

enhancing/learning skills like threshold braking may be a better bet... and they are almost free. abs can can help but, skills outweigh aids. keep what the system you have in good condition and beef up your skills and you will be in a better position than someone with abs, super brakes, and reverse thrusters.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ri...orcyclist-tips

Keith Code wants you to:
  • relpace your lines every few years or less beased on usage
  • replace your fluid on a regular basis
  • read his books twist of the wrist volume 1 and 2

Edit:
see also:
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well - David L. Hough

Last edited by cvaria; 06-22-2017 at 07:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cvaria:
hexnut (06-22-2017), Ratwerke (06-22-2017), TinCupChalice (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
... beefing up your brakes to not hit something may be the wrong approach. may actually hurt you.

I'm actually going in the direction of making it more effortless to brake under emergency. I bought this:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ster-2006-2013
I will install it while keeping the same brand of pads and the same brake line.

The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (06-22-2017)

Quick Reply: brake upgrade ?