Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Reduction List

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 AM
Dale Gribble
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care about handling, I just want straight line acceleration. I don't expect to dust an R1 or anything but I think I would easily keep up with most inline 600 bikes. That 75 lbs means nothing if the guy on the sport bike weighs 75 lbs more than me. Equal weight, same power, and double the torque must count for something.

Last edited by Dale Gribble; 06-29-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:07 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Dude idk how to put this to you nicely but this pipe dream your smoking ain't gonna happen...... If you think you can take a couple pounds off this sportster and dust a 600 sportbike your sorely mistaken!!! Dont matter if your the size of a camel jockey or not. What's your sportster redline @ again.....??? Half @ best what a 600 will. On a stretch of highway they will give you a head start stop and grab some lunch and still blow bye you as if your in neutral!

Now you wanna dump a few a few thousand dollars into motor work and carbon fiber be my guest but it will more than likely end with the same result minus stopping to get lunch. I've ridden sportbikes and still own 1 of the fastest ever produced (Hayabusa). Owned a couple Harley's now too so I've got a full perspective. They are 2 completely different animals. You may be able to get them for a traffic light but that's about it. 600's will top out @ over 135 mph in no time at all and that's with an average sized rider on it. Honestly your better off trying to improve the handling and suspension. That way you have a better chance of catching a squid rider in turns/twisties who can only Go Fast on a straight patch of highway.

The following 5 users liked this post by MatteGlide15:
Campy Roadie (08-22-2017), cvaria (06-29-2017), kokemill (07-01-2017), mrhammer2u (06-29-2017), Norcalsvt (12-25-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:38 AM
Dale Gribble
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a video of a Sportster running a 10.7 in the 1/4 mile: watch?v=jK0gAMuNrgs

Compared to a 2013 R6 that does 11.6 and a 2012 Hayabusa that does 9.9. Not too shabby, and that's at well over 100 mph. I understand that a Harley is a cruiser and it's best served cruising, but they do have potential. I plan on also buying a sport bike eventually, but in the mean time I don't see any harm in dropping 50 pounds and doubling my horsepower. As far as handling, I have no interest in flying around corners. I live in the mountains and a mistake here would end in a several hundred foot drop.

With that being said, this thread is getting off topic. Let's please stick to part weights and weight reduction suggestions. If anyone wants to debate about something feel free to message me.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Dale, one of our members Madnss has a sub-10 second Sportster.

You will probably have better success in improving performance by adding tuning parts rather than taking weight off, unless you get radical. For example one of our sponsors has access to carbon fibre wheels and brake rotors for a Touring bike, although I'm not sure about availability for a Sportster. I believe they are made in South Africa and are darned expensive, although remarkably light.

As for reducing weight the simplest way to do that is to take stuff off and leave it off, where practical.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:26 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Gribble
Here's a video of a Sportster running a 10.7 in the 1/4 mile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK0gAMuNrgs
that's madnss.

he has been pouring $ and evil into that bike for years.

Last edited by cvaria; 06-29-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:05 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Red face

That's too easy though. I've always been a car guy so I see the 883 as a fun sleeper project. It's probably smarter to just buy a bigger bike later, but honestly it doesn't currently seem worth it. It would cost me at least a few more thousand to upgrade to a Dyna, not to mention the 100% insurance cost increase. Or, for half that much I can upgrade the suspension, still have a comfortable ride, and be on a sub 500 pound 883 making V-Rod power.
vrod power huh. ..

you will spend those same big bike $'s incrementally upgrading... ton's of folks here do it and the then turn around and say they can't yet afford a dyna, softail(bad move), etc.
  • 1000-4000 on engine,
  • 2000+ on looks
  • 500-1000+ on brakes (usually the last thing people think about, no idea why)
then you have folks that just refuse to upgrade and sit around doing the "crabs in a barrel" thing. opining on thier love of sportsters and talking sih about how sportsters are faster... they aren't. you'll get off the line faster but, the pass will happen. and that stock, if someone did work on the twin... you may not even get the the brief off the line advantage.

fact is you can get a 103 for about $5-6k, 88"er are less you just gotta look and be willing to travel.

i understand you want to build. have fun and enjoy the process. if you want to up your bike to 1250cc or 1275cc, you can do that for as low as $499 if you are willing to do the work. http://www.hammerperf.com/garagesale.shtml

few folks posted their charts and stuff done here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ults-here.html , more have just done it and sprinkled it all though out the threads. xlforums has a section dedicated to molesting sportys and 130hp+ builds. lot of money involved there.

better bet than trying to pull stuff off your bike. if you must, pull of anything that serves no purpose. do yourself a favor and leave the front fender alone (dental bills) and, unless you are going chain drive, belt guards alone, they have a purpose.

good luck

Last edited by cvaria; 06-29-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Here's a video of a Sportster running a 10.7 in the 1/4 mile: watch?v=jK0gAMuNrgs

Compared to a 2013 R6 that does 11.6 and a 2012 Hayabusa that does 9.9. Not too shabby, and that's at well over 100 mph. I understand that a Harley is a cruiser and it's best served cruising, but they do have potential. I plan on also buying a sport bike eventually, but in the mean time I don't see any harm in dropping 50 pounds and doubling my horsepower. As far as handling, I have no interest in flying around corners. I live in the mountains and a mistake here would end in a several hundred foot drop.

With that being said, this thread is getting off topic. Let's please stick to part weights and weight reduction suggestions. If anyone wants to debate about something feel free to message me.
When you get to own the forum you can dictate what people post in threads, until then chill out.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

Rider weight is the big item for race winning.

With Sportster's they are metal machines.
IMO It would be expensive to get 75 lbs off the bike and retain ridability.

Guesses...easiest weight loss:
OEM Battery is 12 lbs...Lithium 5 lbs

1/4 mile race bike: Horn, turn signals, gauges, handlebar switches, rear brakes.... maybe 15lbs.

IMO: OP it is up to you to emulate your stock parts versus aftermarket part grid.
Could be a fun project.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Like Madnss I have always been a hot rodder. Bikes, cars any thing automotive. Its a life long hobby. I have gotten much pleasure and satisfaction from it. Money was never a consideration. Fun cost money and I have had a bunch. So when I die I wont look back and wish I hadn't had so much fun.

When people say damn look how much money he sunk into that project they never realize the satisfaction and pleasure I got per dollar. I cant take it with me so why not enjoy it while I can.

Its never been what goes the fastest. I like Harleys, always have. I like to build them and get the most out of them I can. The fact that some one else is faster is never a consideration. I don't care. I'm doing this for me not what some one else thinks is important. I have my Sportster hopped up some and its a joy to ride. It puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

In my opinion you would be much better off to add power instead of loosing weight. You would be far ahead in that regard. You cant take enough pounds off to make that much difference. If you don't think madnss gets his moneys worth in pleasure you will never get it. The money spent is never a consideration. These projects are not an investment with a monetary return in mind. The return is enjoyment in something you love to do.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

The following 2 users liked this post by hexnut:
JimmyL (06-29-2017), ss27gogeta (07-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Hayabusasteve
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Steve Knecum (if you're into lsr, pst or pretty much any sport bike racing that isn't gp stuff you'll know him) just took a stock prepped zx6r with a street pipe and went 9.90s.

That's what you're competing with.

now look at what Madness has put into his bike, through r&d and money and chassis development for very similar numbers.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction List