Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road test on new mod complete and successful!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road test on new mod complete and successful!

Wife, Kris, and I put 160 miles on together today with the new seat arrangement and WOW!!! Can this really be a XL1200?????? Except when she touches me with her hands, I don't even know she's back there!! I kept checking my mirrors to make sure she didn't fall off!!!

Final measurement comparison concluded that I have added 8.5" to the passenger seating area. By adding a 15 deg rake to the sissy bar, Kris says, "changed the whole riding position completely", making it feel like she can "lay back" and enjoy the ride. In case anyone is wondering (seems to be popular question among riding buddies), this modification made no detectable difference in the geometry or balance of the bike. I have taken off from a dead stop with very heavy throttle just to see if the front would come up on me, and it didn't even offer to. ( I know what it takes to do a wheelie...I didn't get on it THAT hard.)

Overall, Kris enjoyed the ride COMPLETELY on the Sporty today for the first time, and plans for buying a touring bike are being put off....this is just too much fun!

My offer is this....any Sporty riders interested in doing the same mod for two-up riding, PM me, and I will help you through it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23003/EB2BB09AA05E42FA8EDBCA8290F9F5C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Road test on new mod complete and successful!

Wow TX that looks so different. Where are your rear turn signals? Are you able to cut off the back part of the sissy bar that is sticking out towards the tail light? I think it would look evencleaner with it gone. Great job, I can't believe the passenger gains that much room on a Sportster but obviously they do.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:30 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Good job jammer, this is the first time I heard sissy bar rake, good try and sweet looking. You better keep an eye on her coz she might fall asleep behind you lol.
Be creative!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

I forgot to explain that....... The part that you are talking about "cutting off", is where the rear turn signals will be mounted....just haven't got that far yet.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Ok be sure and post pics again when they are mounted.I can't believe no one has made a sissy bar like that already since it gains so much space. I guess no one realized it would do all that much till now.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job Bro! I know it makes ya feel good when something like this works out!!! Looks good too.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

Ok be sure and post pics again when they are mounted.I can't believe no one has made a sissy bar like that already since it gains so much space. I guess no one realized it would do all that much till now.
As I said before in a previous thread...I don't think Harley-Davidson wants you to know it can be done. They want you to buy a Sporty, get dissappointed with the two-up riding situation, and trade in for something else....they make alot of money off of that kind of trade.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Yep I agree with you there TX.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:40 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you plan to chrome it or leave it as is? I think black looks alright, what about polish?
By the way, how many are you going to make to sell online? Make some $$ for bling bling Later...Alex

Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

Well, Pig, just the sissy bar change won't do what I've got here. First, that is a passenger pillion for a Dyna. Second it is mounted further back on the fender than where the normal Sporty pillion is.....which makes you have to "invent" a way to attach the front of the pillion. Alot of people see how much work it's gonna be and quit right there.

Quick Reply: Road test on new mod complete and successful!