Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Sportster turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Chris Turk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Sportster turn signals

I bought a 97 Sportster 883 (w/big bore kit) from a friend and it didn't come with turn signals. He said he got it that way and just used hand signals.
I wanted something more so I bought led mirrors that came with these little circuit boards with a bunch of wires and heat shrink over everything, and a lot of connectors. I took the heat shrink off so I can look at the board. On one end has a connector the old lights would plug into. Then it has a fuse on the positive wire. Then the circuit board then 6 wires out from there. 1 Red, 1Blue, and 1 black with male pins, and the same with females.
They are labeled: Black = GND, Red = TSM, Blue = RL
(I'm assuming GND is Ground, TSM is Turn Signal Module. Is RL running light?)
I've tried looking online for info but I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I tried wiring without it, but the turn signals do not blink. I can turn them on and off by pressing the turn signal switches, and if I hold both down the flashers work.
I even picked up some cheap bulbed turn signals, and wired straight to the turn signal model and got the exact same results.
I even ran through the troubleshooting on my factory service manual but it says to replace the module.

The closest I could find relating to this on the forums was this post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/932480-sportster-68540-96-turn-signal-module.html

The module part number is: 68540-96

Pic of parts:

Harley wires And for fun, my bike

Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:31 PM
xerofokus
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

When you say "the flashers work" when you push both switches, you mean that the lights will flash? Or are they just turning on?

Old 07-29-2017, 04:33 PM
xerofokus
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chris Turk
I even picked up some cheap bulbed turn signals, and wired straight to the turn signal model and got the exact same results.
You wired fronts and rears up with the incandescent lamps, or just tried one?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Chris Turk
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by xerofokus
When you say "the flashers work" when you push both switches, you mean that the lights will flash? Or are they just turning on?
​​​​​​both sides flash

Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Chris Turk
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by xerofokus
You wired fronts and rears up with the incandescent lamps, or just tried one?
two, but remember the bike didn't come with any lights, that goes for wiring too

Old 07-31-2017, 01:45 PM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 66 Posts

If you just wired up the led signals on front and nothing else they're not gonna work. I just went through this on my sons 98 Sporty, it didn't have rear signals when we got it and front wouldn't blink. We put led rear signals on and still didn't blink but hooked up incandescent bulbs and they worked. We had to add load equalizer to get the signals to flash with leds.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 AM
xerofokus
Tourer

Originally Posted by nickrat
If you just wired up the led signals on front and nothing else they're not gonna work. I just went through this on my sons 98 Sporty, it didn't have rear signals when we got it and front wouldn't blink. We put led rear signals on and still didn't blink but hooked up incandescent bulbs and they worked. We had to add load equalizer to get the signals to flash with leds.
x2

That's what I was getting at. Make sure you have all the incandesents wired in. Otherwise your bike will detect low resistance and "think" you have a bad lamp.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

You don't need to mess with load equalizers. Use the Badlands turn signal module. It has signal canceller and will run your LED signals without any issues. Also plug n play simplicity.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 PM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 66 Posts

Badlands is a load equalizer, that's what I used. It's also not plug and play for the older sportster, but it is an easy wire up.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by nickrat
Badlands is a load equalizer, that's what I used. It's also not plug and play for the older sportster, but it is an easy wire up.
It is a plug n play. I put one on my '93, unless by "older" you mean something older than that. And it's not technically a load equalizer, it's a self-canceling, flasher module.

I think this is the one you would need Chris, if you felt like spending $95 +/-.

https://www.namzcustomcycleproducts....sch-connector/

Last edited by TStephen; 08-03-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 Sportster turn signals