Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I would never have thought this...

Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

I Can't wait to get these bad boys installed!!
I was well aware that the Dunlops were a reasonably hard compound, but after feeling these... HOLY S**T! I've been riding on rocks!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:51 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,372 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger

You know you have spoke envy!
Well, actually I'd have to say no.

The spokes were the one thing on the VLX I couldn't clean up to match the rest of the bike. Problem was, I wasn't going to spend $500 with Buchanan for a set of chrome ones. So I lived with them.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,372 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I Can't wait to get these bad boys installed!!
I was well aware that the Dunlops were a reasonably hard compound, but after feeling these... HOLY S**T! I've been riding on rocks!
Those will look great on your bike!

Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
WTF?!?

And that squishy rubbery looking bit won't come out with tweezers?

Not to worry since your putting new skins on your rims, but that's weird man. :O
I've had that happen. Used a tooth pick and or a sewing needle to extract the O-Ring. My metal valve stem caps, HD SKULL and my Subaru ones on my cars, have small O-Rings in the tips of the metal valve stem covers. YUP you tighten them up and they look pretty but I've been burnt 2 times, on my bikes and cars, when the O-rings get jammed like the pic shows that squish thingy jamming the valve plunger in the valve stem.

That is not the tube...its an O-ring. What type of valve stem cap did you have on the valve stem? Most cheap plastic caps have NO O-ring in them.

Now if I put fancy valve stem caps on my wheels I remove the O-Rings first. Problem solved...

GOOD LUCK!

The following 3 users liked this post by GMRO:
Ratwerke (08-15-2017), S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r (08-15-2017), TStephen (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 05:19 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master

Originally Posted by GMRO
That is not the tube...its an O-ring. What type of valve stem cap did you have on the valve stem? Most cheap plastic caps have NO O-ring in them.

Now if I put fancy valve stem caps on my wheels I remove the O-Rings first. Problem solved...

GOOD LUCK!

Well S**T!!
went back and tugged at the obstruction some more...with a little more force this time since I wasn't as worried about ripping a whole and poof, out came an o-ring!
GMRO... you da man!

So... piece of crap tire is aired up again and I'm back to riding until the new tires get installed this weekend.
Thanks everbody for all the input, it's been appreciated.

Damn!

The following users liked this post:
GMRO (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 AM
GMRO
Road Captain

Well S**T!!
went back and tugged at the obstruction some more...with a little more force this time since I wasn't as worried about ripping a whole and poof, out came an o-ring!
GMRO... you da man!

So... piece of crap tire is aired up again and I'm back to riding until the new tires get installed this weekend.
Thanks everbody for all the input, it's been appreciated.

Damn!
Glad to hear it. Just be careful on that tire till you have the new ones installed.

ENJOY and ride safely!!!

Old 08-17-2017, 07:50 AM
garthw
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, no matter when that tire was put on, it needs to be replaced. The weather checking shows the rubber breaking down and the slice is unrepairable.

When you ride a bike you are constantly only in touch with the earth at 2 small patches of rubber. As we speed up those patches get smaller.... Those patches of rubber need to be the best we can make them.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:31 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Youz got ballz.
I wouldn't risk that tire. :O

Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master

Originally Posted by TStephen
Youz got ballz.
I wouldn't risk that tire. :O
I Lived! ...avoided twisties.

AVON Cobras installed!!

They are every bit the night and day difference I expected them to be.
I anticipated the significant handling improvement but was surprised how much better the overall ride is.
They absorb every day bumps CONSIDERABLY better than the stock Dunlops ever did.
I'll wait and see how they wear, but after the first 180+ miles, I'd buy another set no doubt about it.

Even though they are a GIGANTIC improvement, they aren't magic... hot thick Tar Snakes still suck!
There are a couple of favorite roads with big sweeping turns that are now on my "avoid at all costs" list until something changes with them.

Avon Cobra's rock!

Old 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM
GMRO
Road Captain

I Lived! ...avoided twisties.

AVON Cobras installed!!

They are every bit the night and day difference I expected them to be.
I anticipated the significant handling improvement but was surprised how much better the overall ride is.
They absorb every day bumps CONSIDERABLY better than the stock Dunlops ever did.
I'll wait and see how they wear, but after the first 180+ miles, I'd buy another set no doubt about it.

Even though they are a GIGANTIC improvement, they aren't magic... hot thick Tar Snakes still suck!
There are a couple of favorite roads with big sweeping turns that are now on my "avoid at all costs" list until something changes with them.

Avon Cobra's rock!
Bike looks great! Glad you got the new skins on it.

Not sure any tire is better than any other with the hot "tar-snakes". I always try and watch for them to roll around them or at least to not hit them directly while in a banked turn for sure.

The following users liked this post:
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r (08-22-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I would never have thought this...