Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I scrapped the foot peg ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:46 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Not pegs, but the heel rests got some serious grinding when I was in East TN last year.

In this photo you can see the jiffy stand is close, which is not a real problem until it pushes up against the rubber bumper on the frame and won't go any further.

In this photo you can see the heel rest AND the heel of my boot dragging on the road.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Jman990 (08-15-2017), TroutBum (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM
RedIronHarley
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
Are you sure it was a bike body part scraping against the asphalt? If you were bottoming out hard, it could also be your rear tire rubbing against the inside of your rear fender.
This is what I was thinking too

Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by TroutBum
It was on the right. I checked the under carriage and exhaust when I got home last night. I could not find any scrap marks. I did not think I was leaning that much to make contact, but I guess the suspension bounce was enough to bring whatever into contact with the road. This is my first Harley and I am getting used to the reduced lean angle. I am taking curves a bit slower and wider.
Lean angle is a downside for Harleys, stock, they make grinding noises easily. I've ridden Hondas that made contact real easy, too, even had one I took the center stand off because I came out of too many corners sideways with the rear wheel off the road. That wasn't so bad, but once it also ground a bit of an angle on a handlebar end (kinda hard on the grip, too). I've been told that's low siding, but I figure if you're back up on two wheels before it stops, that's just unintended stunt riding.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Lean angle is a downside for Harleys, stock, they make grinding noises easily. I've ridden Hondas that made contact real easy, too, even had one I took the center stand off because I came out of too many corners sideways with the rear wheel off the road. That wasn't so bad, but once it also ground a bit of an angle on a handlebar end (kinda hard on the grip, too). I've been told that's low siding, but I figure if you're back up on two wheels before it stops, that's just unintended stunt riding.

Yeah, I meant to do that!

Unintended stunt riding.

Dirt riding days aside...on the street, I've only gotten my back tire "light" four times. I remember each one vividly, and they each scared the crap out of me.

Kevin

Old 08-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Dirt riding days aside...on the street, I've only gotten my back tire "light" four times. I remember each one vividly, and they each scared the crap out of me.

Kevin
Dirt riding, that wasn't unusual, did it many times, but on pavement I only did it for more than an instant the one time, on a decreasing radius mountain curve I went into way too fast, and was down around 60 when I lost the rear - and on the outside of the curve, with tree tops about even with the road. The bike continued following the curve till it slowed enough to get back up, maybe the dragging handlebar did that, or the guardian angel I really kept busy in my younger days. One of my worst scares on a bike, slowed me down on mountain twisties. That's not to say I didn't have some other lessons in foolishness to learn... This was back in the late '60s, too, I'm a much more conservative rider now, haven't had that kind of fun in decades.

Yeah, those kind of memories tend to be vivid. Had some in helicopters that still seem vivid, too.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Dirt riding, that wasn't unusual, did it many times, but on pavement I only did it for more than an instant the one time, on a decreasing radius mountain curve I went into way too fast, and was down around 60 when I lost the rear - and on the outside of the curve, with tree tops about even with the road. The bike continued following the curve till it slowed enough to get back up, maybe the dragging handlebar did that, or the guardian angel I really kept busy in my younger days. One of my worst scares on a bike, slowed me down on mountain twisties. That's not to say I didn't have some other lessons in foolishness to learn... This was back in the late '60s, too, I'm a much more conservative rider now, haven't had that kind of fun in decades.

Yeah, those kind of memories tend to be vivid. Had some in helicopters that still seem vivid, too.
Your guardian angel was logging some overtime hours!

Kevin