Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of rattles and noise and Sporty rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Royw
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lots of rattles and noise and Sporty rant

Took delivery of a new XL1200T a few weeks ago. Its a real rattle trap. EXHAUST system shields were vibrating really bad and it drove me up a wall till I found the source of the noise. The saddlebag lids have lots of play, and the only way to adjust is,by way of the lock which is not doable. I used a piece of slit tygon tube to take up the slack and kill the noise. The seat was loose and no amount of tighening would sevure it. I wound up putting a spacer under the head of the retention nut in the fender and using a metal E clip in place of that plastic clip. Seat is now secute but it shifted side to side as if that center pin was not in place. Took up the slop with a piece of rubber hose. Cut a piece of 1 inch thick closed cell foam to fit inside the bottom of the seats recess. Solved the looseness and reduced heat transfer through the seat.

Just finished puttin a pair of Rienhart Slipons on. Lots of throaty rumble now and much louder but its a,loudness and sound I like. When I changed the slipons out itvwas then I realized that the shields where they overlap and the hose clamp ends were what was vibrating, so reposition of shield on slipon and bending the end of clp down slightly eliminated the noise. Overall I am satisfied with a Sporty for quick runs but its like going from a Cadillac to a Pinto in terms of comfort and ride, when compared to the Tri Glide. I had no real choice in getting a Sporty as I could not control a Heritage that I wound up with when the son decided not to make but 1 payment on it after I went out on the limb and fiananced it for him with HD. Did not want bad credit on a repo but could not see paying on a bike I could not ride, and there was no way I was able to sell it for what was owed as someone could buy a new unused Heritage for same price. It only had about 1000 miles on it. Overall I enjoy the Sportster . Still want to change the speedometer assy out on it and possibly the seat.