Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Sportster 883 stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:25 PM
Dustin Wicks
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Sportster 883 stalling issue

Hey Guys,

Noob here. Just bought a seldom ridden garage kept 02 Sportster for a song. Only problem is it won't stay running! I can start it on full choke it stays running for a minute then stalls. Any time I throttle or turn choke off it stalls as well.

It was last serviced by HD in July of 16 and they did a carb cleaning, replaced the starter, replaced a rusted clutch line; and replaced the battery.

After buying I replaced the fuel with fresh fuel, replaced the brand new battery (it had died from a year of no use since last replacement). Still wouldn't stay running.

I opened the carb today and and cleaned the jets and float. (first time doing so and used YouTube so maybe I messed something up though I was careful and it's still running the same so I don't think so) It seemed to idle better, even got it 500 feet down the road before it stalled again.

Dropped the tank and cleaned the fuel filter no change. Replaced the plugs and wires because the plugs were fouled. No improvement. After googling some more think it might be a fuel delivery issue. But I don't know how to test that! Right now I'm trying to decide if I should A.) give up and tow it to a shop for diag, B.) tow it to Harley and trade it in for a new one (I only paid $500 for it) or C. Keep throwing parts at it.

One note, the fuel lines do seem to be dry rotted, cracked and torn. When you touch them the rubber stains your fingers black but I'm not sure how to verify. I watched a YouTube video showing gas squirting into carb when you throttle I didn't see that happen when I turned throttle but the vid was of a crotch rocket so not sure if design is the same.

What should I do?!?!?!

Old 09-23-2017, 04:29 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

You may have a vacuum petcock shutoff, check and replace those hoses! A vacuum leak could cause intermittent shutting off of fuel.

You should see a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump nozzle if you look in the carb mouth (engine off!) you can see a stream of gas. You may have to blow out the pilot circuit passages with carb cleaner and air. If your carb still has a small metal cap on the bottom, covering your idle mixture screw, you need to remove the cap so you can remove the screw and properly blow out the passages. Then re-install the screw, gently seat, then back out 2.5 turns. Throw the little metal cap away. You might want to change the manifold seals, they are easy to change with a stubby allen wrench. The carb seal you probably already changed.

John

Old 09-24-2017, 03:51 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Check and make sure the float in your carb bowl is set to the right height. If it isn't then the fuel will not go as high as it should to be sucked up the idle jet so no matter how you adjust the idle screw it still won't work if fuel is not getting up to it.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:22 PM
devote0805
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Could this also cause my bike to stall while riding? I've been having a problem with my 2002 Harley Sportster 883 where at first it was popping and coughing through the carb then started to back fire then would shut off after. I would wait for a minute or less and all power would come back on. So i bought a new battery for it also ended up buying circuit breaker as well and a new ign. Module and cleaned out my carb. I turned it on ran it for about 30 mins it ran great no more back fire coughing or anything. Then I turned it off let it cool down for about 20 mins and drove it again. This time as I was driving on the freeway it stalled again. But no backfire or cough or anything. Any idea what it could be ?I'm waiting for my new ignition coil but at this point I'm pulling my hair!