Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Ride a Vintage Sportster

Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Anyone Ride a Vintage Sportster

Tomorrow, I will be checking out a 1980 Sportster 1000 all original in very good condition with 6k or 8k original miles. It has been sitting so will need to flush the tank, clean out the carb, and change oils. Not sure if I can get an owners manual being 37 years old.

Anyone have a vintage sporty? Any issues getting parts? Anything I should know before I pull the trigger?

Talking to a couple experienced mechanics at the dealership, they don't recommend a vintage sporty. One said he wouldn't recommend anything vintage...he has a shovelhead. The other one said get a vintage big twin over a vintage sporty. GM said the sporty is a cheap project bike (which is what I was looking for) and will retain its value being all original. He said no OEM parts but a lot of aftermarket replacement parts for repairs/maintenance.

Any thoughts, opinions, sly remarks?

Last edited by hscic; 12-13-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I'm not sure about the original owners manual, but hopefully you can still get the FSM, as H-D seems to be very good at covering their bikes, way back to the Ark (well, almost!). We Evo big twin owners are already accustomed to not getting much of our essentials direct from H-D, but relying on the aftermarket.

I started riding while we still had a British bike industry over here and if it's any consolation I reckon parts availability for them is much better today than when BSA, Triumph, Velocette and Norton etc were still alive and well! I expect much the same comment applies to ironheads......

Post pics when you get your 'new' bike back home!

The following users liked this post:
hscic (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:36 AM
FMB42
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

How old are the tires? They should be replaced if they're more than 5 years old and/or show any signs of cracking and/or any flat spots. Meanwhile, I'd definately keep it original or capable of being returned to original. Original vintage Sportsters are pretty rare these days.

hscic (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a '77 1,000cc XLCH Ironhead and found the owner's manual on eBay with no problem. It's my "short haul" Sportster and if you like wrenching as much, or more than riding, the Ironheads are fun. Unfortunately, it was modded before I bought it, and I wish it was original.

hscic (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 2,549 Posts

The Bay is your friend, 1980 is not that old, plenty of stuff and knowledge still out there. The Dealership may not be the best source. Go for it, it is a lot of fun and the Vintage community has some really good people. Join AMCA and start bringing her to events, you will never look back. Good luck and post pics.

hscic (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm not sure about the original owners manual, but hopefully you can still get the FSM, as H-D seems to be very good at covering their bikes, way back to the Ark (well, almost!). We Evo big twin owners are already accustomed to not getting much of our essentials direct from H-D, but relying on the aftermarket.

I started riding while we still had a British bike industry over here and if it's any consolation I reckon parts availability for them is much better today than when BSA, Triumph, Velocette and Norton etc were still alive and well! I expect much the same comment applies to ironheads......

Post pics when you get your 'new' bike back home!
Thanks...the bike will be arriving today from another part of the state...will definitely take some pics today and post it up.

Last edited by hscic; 12-13-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FMB42
How old are the tires? They should be replaced if they're more than 5 years old and/or show any signs of cracking and/or any flat spots. Meanwhile, I'd definately keep it original or capable of being returned to original. Original vintage Sportsters are pretty rare these days.
Good point, forgot about them tires. It's been sitting for a very long time which is why it is in such great condition and low mileage.

Rare usually means higher value if it is something desirable....not sure how many people want a 1000cc Sportster, but I guess HD still sells the 883 so perhaps....

Last edited by hscic; 12-13-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:49 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thumper26
I have a '77 1,000cc XLCH Ironhead and found the owner's manual on eBay with no problem. It's my "short haul" Sportster and if you like wrenching as much, or more than riding, the Ironheads are fun. Unfortunately, it was modded before I bought it, and I wish it was original.
Good to hear. Do you do your own wenching on the ironhead? I love to wrench and restore which is why I am trying to decide to get this bike and sell my 2011 sporty bagger. BUT I ride daily to/from work so it also needs to be dependable too.

Why only short hauls?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:52 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
The Bay is your friend, 1980 is not that old, plenty of stuff and knowledge still out there. The Dealership may not be the best source. Go for it, it is a lot of fun and the Vintage community has some really good people. Join AMCA and start bringing her to events, you will never look back. Good luck and post pics.
Thank for the encouragement....don't like to reveal stuff like this, but my dealership is my best source because I also work there...LOL I am in semi-retirement and decided to work at the HD dealership to get discounts and know who is good/knowledgeable and who is not...so I can pick their brain when I run into problems when wrenching. The dealership brings in a couple of HD "engineers" (mechanical I believe) for extensive one week training for all the mechanics....so the mechanics all know more than I do..haha, but they need to keep up with the new stuff vs the old stuff.

Wow you got some old stuff too...unfortunately I can have only one bike by order of the wife lol so I have to pick between vintage and my customized 2011

Last edited by hscic; 12-13-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Good to hear. Do you do your own wenching on the ironhead? I love to wrench and restore which is why I am trying to decide to get this bike and sell my 2011 sporty bagger. BUT I ride daily to/from work so it also needs to be dependable too.

Why only short hauls?
I have owned the bike about 12 years now and done all my own wrenching so far. I say "short haul" because it's nowhere near as reliable as my '05 1200 EVO. Don't want to get stranded too far from home on the XLCH.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Ride a Vintage Sportster