Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fix for oil out breather bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Jafar89
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fix for oil out breather bolts?

Ive read and heard of people drilling out the oil drain hole in the rocker box cover to stop oil from coming out the breather bolts but has anyone actually done this and did it work?

Evo sportster 1200 drag pipes and hypercharger intake. I have my breather bolts hooked up to a drip line currantly but would drill the oil drain hole wider if this has actually worked for someone. Anyone ever try this?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Excessive oil coming out of the breathers is a symptom of another problem, drilling out drain holes will not solve the problem.
Either your "umbrella" valves are not working properly or you have too much blow by in your crank case.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Ronnie Arthur
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem was thinking it’s the rings?

Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Jafar89
Ive read and heard of people drilling out the oil drain hole in the rocker box cover to stop oil from coming out the breather bolts but has anyone actually done this and did it work?

Evo sportster 1200 drag pipes and hypercharger intake. I have my breather bolts hooked up to a drip line currantly but would drill the oil drain hole wider if this has actually worked for someone. Anyone ever try this?
As HOTLAP mentioned, drilling out is, at best, a bandaid...there is another issue, possibly simple, possibly more serious. Below is a link to a thread on the subject that gives a list of the possible reasons for excessive blow-by, and how to determine which you are experiencing.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...f-my-bike.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Before you start considering wild and crazy solutions, try this: Next time you change your oil, put in the first three quarts, run the bike for a minute or so, and then let it sit for a few minutes. Check the oil. If it's around 1/2 to 3/4 full, just leave it. Don't add more oil up to the "Full" mark. Clean your air filter, and see how it goes.

Or, if you have the dealer do the oil changes, tell them to do the same thing.

In my experience, owners who fill the oil up to the "Full" mark have oil dripping out of the air filter and other places, owners who keep the oil level around half don't have those problems.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:01 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,732 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Before you start considering wild and crazy solutions, try this: Next time you change your oil, put in the first three quarts, run the bike for a minute or so, and then let it sit for a few minutes.
It will only take 3 quarts to fill it to full, the other 0.6 stays in the engine and doesn't drain. Even if the bike is using oil there will still be 0.6 quart in the engine after you drain out what you can.

You should put in the first 2 quarts, then check and add oil if necessary.

Leaving the engine for a few minutes is not the way the FSM describes how the oil level should be checked.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 04-26-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:07 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Drop your oil level by a 1/2 quart

Old 04-27-2019, 05:02 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

In most cases to much oil and if you are going to say ......my bike is maintained by the dealer , then I can say it is to much oil in there for sure

Last edited by MoneyFor; 04-27-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:56 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,732 Likes on 2,397 Posts

The dealer will in my opinion just make sure the oil is at the full mark. No more, no less. If the owner then wants to take some out that is their prerogative.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:18 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Indeed, that is exactly what I say "too much oil" , when maintained by the dealer, 99% of the staff do not think and just put in the amount of oil that is prescribed, no more no less.
There is no further thought, the only thing that matters is when the wages are paid or when they have time off. I f*****g hate dealers , I only come there to buy a new bike or parts
but they will never ever touch my bike or work on it.

I even wont let them do first service, screw warranty that dont bother me at all, the matter infact when a recall action is on hand, I just went to get the parts with recall actions and
did the work myself, that's how far I go with that dealer thing. I always get the replacement parts, just needed to sign a letter of responsibility.

Let me say it differently, long ago I worked at a dealership and know how it works, I was always in conflict with the manager because I did things like they should be done....... but time
was money and I needed to follow what was written, so I quit because that was not always the right way to do things.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (05-04-2019)

Quick Reply: fix for oil out breather bolts?