Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Exhaust safety question? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1214159-exhaust-safety-question.html)

artc 01-11-2018 02:25 PM

Exhaust safety question?

3 Attachment(s)
2003 Sportster 1200c Forward controls

Purchases a DANMOTO 2 into 1 Exhaust yesterday.
Went to install it and I saw that it covered the brake pedal. I stopped and took photos and emailed DANMOTO.
He got back to me and said to bolt it all up and it should pull the pipe in another 1/2".
I did it today and tried it out. In my 10 minute drive to work I burn my boot on the toe and heel, also my toe gets caught under the pipe when braking.
It also rubs the brake rod to the master cylinder.
I emailed him and waiting to here back.
I enclosed some photos. I am not happy about it.
Would you all deal with this?

72 Ironhead XLH 01-11-2018 02:36 PM

Did you mention the forwards before you purchased?

HOTLAP 01-11-2018 03:07 PM

It looks like the system is designed for mid controls but they show pics and vids on their site with forward controls but their forward controls are in a completely different location than yours, are yours the stock forwards?
There is no doubt that that system is not going to work acceptably on your bike, I'd say either return them and go with a different brand or change your forward controls to the type they show on their web site.

artc 01-11-2018 03:13 PM

Yes, stock forward controls. This system is made to work with both.

HOTLAP 01-11-2018 03:36 PM

I just googled 1200C images and it looks like up to about 2003 the forward controls were in the same location as yours and the 2004's & newer the forward controls were moved up and back.
I'm no expert on the C models with forwards but that's what it looks like to me, maybe someone more familiar with the custom model can chime in on that.

edit: just checked their site again and it clearly says "fits sportster models 2004-2017" I think you have your answer right there!

sailmotion 01-11-2018 04:08 PM

I find the positioning totally unacceptable. I suppose you could eventually adapt and develop a stance where you are not constantly burning your foot or leg; however, I'd fear getting a foot full of pipe instead of brake pedal in a panic stop. No thanks.

Dheez 01-11-2018 04:17 PM

That sucks! Those are nice looking pipes. DK makes a 2" forward control extension and Accutronix makes a 6" if you wanted to try and push the brake pedal farther to the front.

maverick31210 01-11-2018 06:37 PM

Probably...I tend to only use the corner of the pedal anyway. If I really liked the pipes, I'd find a way to make it work.

Campy Roadie 01-12-2018 05:40 AM

I'd send it back and buy something else that fit. I wouldn't make "allowances" for anything that obstructed a control.

cvaria 01-12-2018 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nomadmax (Post 16990140)
I'd send it back and buy something else that fit. I wouldn't make "allowances" for anything that obstructed a control.

agreed, melted boots/shoes and lost skin are what i see.