Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opioions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:40 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
I think there's likely plenty of difference between a poorly setup/poorly running 1200 Sporty (or any bike for that matter) and one that has been properly setup (component wise etc.) and competently tuned etc. As I mentioned before making just that little bit of change might lead to being pleasantly surprised. If after that he's left with "wanting" more, then fine. As a bonus, he's not wasted money on the components already purchased.

Or he could go ***** to the wall right off the bat, spend significant change on performance enhancements that perhaps he really didn't want/need, when he could have got where he wanted to be for a lot less. Given his presumable lack of familiarity with the territory, which could lead to a path fraught with potential error and poor choices, the end may result in mucho money spent and poor results.
i can't get behind the tune idea as a super performance enhancement that will have the bike hanging with twins/m8s and not having to downshift into better points in the power band for passing. it's unrealistic and could instill hopes and lead to disappointment/frustration/ritual suicides.

incremental changes, trash the drag pipes and get a decent pipe, intake, and jet/tune (stage redo), then move on to the next step if it doesn't affect the house goals.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:40 PM
Josh Griffin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
I think there's likely plenty of difference between a poorly setup/poorly running 1200 Sporty (or any bike for that matter) and one that has been properly setup (component wise etc.) and competently tuned etc. As I mentioned before making just that little bit of change might lead to being pleasantly surprised. If after that he's left with "wanting" more, then fine. As a bonus, he's not wasted money on the components already purchased.

Or he could go ***** to the wall right off the bat, spend significant change on performance enhancements that perhaps he really didn't want/need, when he could have got where he wanted to be for a lot less. Given his presumable lack of familiarity with the territory, which could lead to a path fraught with potential error and poor choices, the end may result in mucho money spent and poor results.
ok well I hit a deer in Oct tore few things up ima get them fixed and bike inspected ima go ahead and get it dyno'd and see if its tuned right if not ill get it tuned right then I will look into intakes and new pipes. Now I like the way may drags sound are there any performance exhaust that will give me the same sound? And what kind of new intake should I look into brand wise?

Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Josh Griffin
Novice

Originally Posted by cvaria
i can't get behind the tune idea as a super performance enhancement that will have the bike hanging with twins/m8s and not having to downshift into better points in the power band for passing. it's unrealistic and could instill hopes and lead to disappointment/frustration/ritual suicides.

incremental changes, trash the drag pipes and get a decent pipe, intake, and jet/tune (stage redo), then move on to the next step if it doesn't affect the house goals.
i think what he is saying he thinks my bike ain't tuned right and I could be lacking in power and if I get it tuned right I could see a difference in it running better which I understand but as far as the whole downshift to pass that's not a option cause at 70 75ish in 5th gear I'm at about 4000rpm and red line starts at 6 I believe if i downshift in sure ill be at the 6 and don't want to majority **** it up so i stay in 5th and just turn the throttle I mean I don't get left I just feel like it takes me longer to pass

Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Josh Griffin
i think what he is saying he thinks my bike ain't tuned right and I could be lacking in power and if I get it tuned right I could see a difference in it running better which I understand but as far as the whole downshift to pass that's not a option cause at 70 75ish in 5th gear I'm at about 4000rpm and red line starts at 6 I believe if i downshift in sure ill be at the 6 and don't want to majority **** it up so i stay in 5th and just turn the throttle I mean I don't get left I just feel like it takes me longer to pass
i get what he's saying and i don't agree with it as the panacea he's presenting it as. he loves tuning and will go crazy over it. he into it deep i agree that a tune is in order with ditching the pipe and intake but, it's not going to change the slow pass situation. tuning will not increase displacement or compression. it will optimize what is already going on, netting you smoother delivery of power, among other things. if you want a change in that range, you need to change the parts. that's being real.

you aren't going to trash it by down shifting. sometimes you have to to get the bump you need at that moment.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Josh Griffin
Novice

i get what he's saying and i don't agree with it as the panacea he's presenting it as. he loves tuning and will go crazy over it. he into it deep i agree that a tune is in order with ditching the pipe and intake but, it's not going to change the slow pass situation. tuning will not increase displacement or compression. it will optimize what is already going on, netting you smoother delivery of power, among other things. if you want a change in that range, you need to change the parts. that's being real.

you aren't going to trash it by down shifting. sometimes you have to to get the bump you need at that moment.
oh ok got you and yea I think ima just go ahead and get it dyno'd and see what's going n if not tuned right get it tuned right then air intake n pipes you got any suggestions on intakes?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:17 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 719 Posts

i can't get behind the tune idea as a super performance enhancement...
Who said "super performance enhancement"?

I think the whole of my comments suggested the contrary... More modest improvements... As far as being able to tell the difference between a poorly running/poorly tuned bike and one that has been done right, I don't think that's a stretch in the slightest. Otherwise, why would anybody bother? Plenty do, and I for one certainly noticed improvements in my case. As I mentioned elsewhere, will doing a stage 1 miraculously turn the bike into a rocket ship? No. Of course not. But it can have significant impact in many respects. Could you improve/resolve issues in the torque/power curves (maybe some reversion/a hole down low)? Likely. Got some issues like surging or poor operation/running in parts of the power band? Could a proper stage 1/tune (mixed with the proper components) help with this? Probably. Poor throttle response? Perhaps that too. Etc. etc. etc.

Here we seem to be in agreement and saying the same thing.

Last edited by T^2; 01-14-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Josh Griffin
ok well I hit a deer in Oct tore few things up ima get them fixed and bike inspected ima go ahead and get it dyno'd and see if its tuned right if not ill get it tuned right then I will look into intakes and new pipes. Now I like the way may drags sound are there any performance exhaust that will give me the same sound? And what kind of new intake should I look into brand wise?
I suggest you get the right components first before spending money on dyno time. The drag pipes will likely have to go or you will be wasting your time. You can't overcome the problems encountered with drag pipes with tuning. Their problems are inherent in what they are. Once they are removed and replaced your are going to have to re-jet/re-tune anyway. Get a good pipe and intake combo, have them installed, and then do the dyno/tuning work.

Yes you can find various aftermarket performance pipes that both perform and sound good. You might take a look at Hammer Performance's site for a starting point in the research...

http://hammerperf.com/ttxlexhaust.shtml

Some helpful information there. I might quibble with how much they hype differences in max performance numbers etc... (real world impact being less significant perhaps), but useful information just the same. Also note, the pipe they use as their standard - the Patriot Defender - is no longer available.

As for intakes... Many aftermarket performance intakes will flow more air than the initial stage upgrades will demand. Personal taste may be a factor here. One note, I prefer intakes that accommodate an external breather system. Currently, I have an Outlaw HiFlow 636V from DK Customs installed. It's similar in style to the HD Heavy Breather. Don't believe it will present a flow problem for any stage/build if that's a concern.

Last edited by T^2; 01-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:04 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
grbrown (01-15-2018), T^2 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:20 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Great video... Explains the problem clearly and concisely... I think that makes it clear were the OP's first steps should be.

Other decent reading material about overall exhaust theory...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=960.0

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm