Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starterfault Sportster 883

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Joakim Butli Berdahl
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starterfault Sportster 883

Hey!
New on this forum, I'm kinda in the deep here: I've got a 2000 sportster 883 custom for the last 4
years.
The starter is now acting up, but not like aaaaal the others do when they begin to fail. The sportster starts like its supposed to, quick and no hessitation(hesitation?)

But then! With the engine running, the starter kicks in with no initiation on my behalf. The starterbutton is not engaged, but the starter somewhat initiates all by it self! Creating a hawoc of faulty enginesounds, ratling and crushing like hell. With fear of damaging the crankcase/engine ec. Im quick to shut it off.

What the heck is going on? The starterbutton has no loose ends, and is not pressed down. If its no quick easy fix: can I hypoteticaly start the bike, then somehow pull the contact/relay on the starter so that I can drive it down to the local dealer for service? Without wrecking it on the way?

Thanks for any advice regarding this

Joakim

Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

It's likely the starter clutch (bendix) hanging up mechanically. You can try cleaning the bendix or replacing it (~$60), but you'll need to remove the starter to do either.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Joakim Butli Berdahl
Stage IV

Originally Posted by cHarley
It's likely the starter clutch (bendix) hanging up mechanically. You can try cleaning the bendix or replacing it (~$60), but you'll need to remove the starter to do either.

So the easy way is to get the dealer to fix/replace it

Old 04-16-2018, 02:05 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Joakim Butli Berdahl
So the easy way is to get the dealer to fix/replace it
Easy but likely expensive as the rear exhaust pipe and primary cover have to come off

Old 04-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Joakim Butli Berdahl
Stage IV

Ahaa
So; Alternative 2: disassembly the primarycover, exhaust and the whole starter myself. Then either replace with Oem/used original, or some kind of a servicekit?

The winter did suddenly end, and the weather has been perfect lately. So I want to get it on the road fast

Old 04-16-2018, 02:21 PM
cacomly
Road Master

Ah, here in Eastern PA winter ended last Wednesday and came back Saturday!

Also, not sure if a dealer would want to try and repair it or if they will push a new starter on you. You may be better off finding an independent bike shop to do the work.

If you have tools and a place to work on the bike you can likely get it done in the same amount of time. If the weather is getting nice it is likely they will make you wait a few days to bring it in since they are busy and have others on the schedule ahead of you.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 AM
Joakim Butli Berdahl
Stage IV

Originally Posted by cacomly
Ah, here in Eastern PA winter ended last Wednesday and came back Saturday!

Also, not sure if a dealer would want to try and repair it or if they will push a new starter on you. You may be better off finding an independent bike shop to do the work.

If you have tools and a place to work on the bike you can likely get it done in the same amount of time. If the weather is getting nice it is likely they will make you wait a few days to bring it in since they are busy and have others on the schedule ahead of you.

Im from Norway
So, as you have forseen Cacomly; the local shops are all too busy with prepping of winterstorage-bikes. Im gonna do it my self, wish me luck

Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 AM
cacomly
Road Master

Originally Posted by Joakim Butli Berdahl
Im from Norway
So, as you have forseen Cacomly; the local shops are all too busy with prepping of winterstorage-bikes. Im gonna do it my self, wish me luck
It did not occur to me that you were not in the US which is rather embarrassing as my MBA is in International Business!

Best of luck to you