Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Bike is down for a week.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1228655-bike-is-down-for-a-week.html)

John Harper 04-18-2018 05:39 PM

SD1,

For what it's worth, I've had my bike almost 28 years and it's been amazingly trouble free. I haven't even had to change my oil lines yet, and the bike runs just beautifully. I see you live locally, send me a PM if you need any help or insight about Sportsters. I prefer a pre-rubbermounted and carbed bike myself, but they're all pretty simple machines. Hang in there, see if you can buy off Ebay. Last time I went to the dealer was for two intake manifold seals (just superstitious about that stuff) a couple years ago, but everything else I get off the internet. Battery, tires, carb kits, drive chain, etc. So much easier to just get it sent to my door than driving 20 miles to HD.

John

SD1 04-18-2018 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by John Harper (Post 17287019)
SD1,

For what it's worth, I've had my bike almost 28 years and it's been amazingly trouble free. I haven't even had to change my oil lines yet, and the bike runs just beautifully. I see you live locally, send me a PM if you need any help or insight about Sportsters. I prefer a pre-rubbermounted and carbed bike myself, but they're all pretty simple machines. Hang in there, see if you can buy off Ebay. Last time I went to the dealer was for two intake manifold seals (just superstitious about that stuff) a couple years ago, but everything else I get off the internet. Battery, tires, carb kits, drive chain, etc. So much easier to just get it sent to my door than driving 20 miles to HD.

John

Don't get me wrong, I love the bikes, and in my experience, for the most part they have been VERY good bikes, just new to me that you can't walk in a get these very common parts off the shelf. If I had paid 20k+ for a new bike and had to deal with this kind of thing, I would be pretty unhappy BUT, that said, I just buy used bikes and should expect some of this stuff. I am very handy with a wrench, and I was able to find the part online without issue, just not willing to wait 10-14 days to get them. I happen to be in El Cajon today and they at least had the oil cap. I even stopped into the shop in Yuma on my way to phoenix but of course they didn't have it either. I will update when I get some oil line and swap the line out. Should be pretty straight forward. Thanks for the offer of help, much appreciated. And yeah, tough weather conditions for us...... ; )

SD1 04-20-2018 11:14 PM

So I spent some time on the bike today, replaced the oil fill cap with the stock unit and tossed the oil temp unit that was leaking. I inspected the oil drain line and wound up just replacing the clamp (I had purchased some bulk line) and having ridden about 30 miles this afternoon, my leak is gone..... so going for an extended ride in the morning! The stock crimp was a bit uncooperative, and I had to be cautious per the warning here of the fragile nature of the plastic tank. All is well that ends well and I am back in the saddle. Thanks for the help!