Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you negotiate price on a new Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:44 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can you negotiate price on a new Sportster?

I feel like there is no wiggle room at HD dealerships on new bike pricing.

Who has gotten away with paying under MSRP and how did you go about it?

Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
I feel like there is no wiggle room at HD dealerships on new bike pricing.

Who has gotten away with paying under MSRP and how did you go about it?
How did I do it? I bought used... from a private party...

I suspect there are plenty of good low mileage examples just waiting to be snapped up.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Make the dealer a reasonable offfer. Don’t pay dealer mark-up, or dealer prep. Don’t by paint treatment, or wheel & tire coverage. ESP is your choice.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:59 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
How did I do it? I bought used... from a private party...

I suspect there are plenty of good low mileage examples just waiting to be snapped up.
I'm trying to buy from a dealer so I can finance. I'm by far not new on here and you didn't offer any help.

I refuse to do a personal loan to buy a used bike from a private party and pay 9% to 12% APR.

But thanks!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:04 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
I'm trying to buy from a dealer so I can finance. I'm by far not new on here and you didn't offer any help.

I refuse to do a personal loan to buy a used bike from a private party and pay 9% to 12% APR.

But thanks!
Harley has a program where they will finance private sales.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:11 PM
mikejjmay
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would think based on how much their sales have declined they would be willing to negotiate just to move some inventory, with Sportsters in particular because those by far seem to be the most common that pop-up used for sale with low mileage both private and a dealerships, cuz a lot of people want to move up in size pretty quickly.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

I just looked at the stock of every dealer within a 90 minute drive of me for a new black Iron. Five dealers, four of them had either none or one, one had five bikes in stock. That fifth dealer is where I went. I had a number in mind, walked in, and was very straight forward with them. Told the sales manager I would buy the bike right now if they knocked off $1,500 (Canadian). They said they couldn't do that but could do $900 off. We settled for $980 off list. The number I had in mind was $1,000.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

i usually get pre-approved by the Credit Union, then go to a few dealers, and have them do a "buyers order" that shows ALL the numbers and add-on and hidden fees.

I collect 2 or 3 buyers orders, then i study them.

then I call dealers who are in state, but in a different city, and ask them to provide a buyers order via email or fax: that does two things: shows you are somewhat knowledgeable, and they have all your contact data in case they WANT to sell a bike.

it took me 6 months to buy my last bike, but I saved $3k over initial offers, by waiting.

managers get % bonuses at certain levels, and have to meet monthly numbers, so when they have your contact info, and know you are pre-approved & just need to meet a certain price, they may call you when they need one more unit out the door.

i talked to the GM one day and he said "i would make ANY deal to get one more bike out before the end of February"

pray about it!

The following 2 users liked this post by 04ctd:
cvaria (05-03-2018), skypeace (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:44 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

credit union. better rates and blank check. lets you walk around like you hve cash to make deals and can even add in $ for initial mods.

dealer financing is not your friend.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:13 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,051 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
i usually get pre-approved by the Credit Union, then go to a few dealers, and have them do a "buyers order" that shows ALL the numbers and add-on and hidden fees.

I collect 2 or 3 buyers orders, then i study them.

then I call dealers who are in state, but in a different city, and ask them to provide a buyers order via email or fax: that does two things: shows you are somewhat knowledgeable, and they have all your contact data in case they WANT to sell a bike.

it took me 6 months to buy my last bike, but I saved $3k over initial offers, by waiting.

managers get % bonuses at certain levels, and have to meet monthly numbers, so when they have your contact info, and know you are pre-approved & just need to meet a certain price, they may call you when they need one more unit out the door.

i talked to the GM one day and he said "i would make ANY deal to get one more bike out before the end of February"

pray about it!

Phifffft, “then I study them” Bahahaha “it took me 6 months” phiffft haha

“Somewhat knowledgeable” bahahaha

Quick Reply: Can you negotiate price on a new Sportster?