Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   EFI vs. CARB (Stats/Final Word) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/123259-efi-vs-carb-stats-final-word.html)

Zeb 06-23-2007 10:54 PM

RE: EFI vs. CARB (Stats/Final Word)

ORIGINAL: bdavis

...I would still rather have the EFI for its ease of starting, no choke, etc... than the carbed model even if it has a little less HP and gets a few less miles to the gallon. For me, the trade off is worth it...

As I said in another thread, that's the whole main reason behind EFI in the first place. It's idiot proof when it comes to starting a vehicle.

Dallastx 06-23-2007 11:02 PM

Hmm. Whatever!

ryback 06-23-2007 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bdavis

Are you guys really that worried about gas mileage on your bike?

Also, I would still rather have the EFI for its ease of starting, no choke, etc... than the carbed model even if it has a little less HP and gets a few less miles to the gallon. For me, the trade off is worth it.

And I have a 1972 XLH with an S & S carb on it and know the pain in the butt that can be.
No, within reason, I don't care about a couple of MPG's one way or the other. What is interesting is that given the change to EFI for the purpose of meeting EPA mandates, which results in bikes coming from the factory, running to lean, and they wind up getting fewer MPG's than their carbed counter parts. This certainly was notthe case when auto manufactures switched from carbs to EFI.

Dallastx 06-23-2007 11:29 PM

If my 1200c only gets 56 or so horses. then my 883 only got equal to a briggs and stratton lawnmower engine. I don't agree with those numbers at all. I gotta be pushing at least 65 plus.

OldFenderGuy 06-23-2007 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Zeb

I just have a feeling that you run with a rich crowd and can afford such a thing all the time these days. 'Nothing wrong with that, if you can afford it.
LMAO, that's good. http://dogsdoom.com/PI/bikerthumbup.gif

The 'crowd' I 'run with' has been called a lot of things, and accused of a lot of things, but I don't believe any of them have been known as the "Rich Crowd"....

I'll have to tell some of the guys about their new assumed status, as I'm sure it would be good for a laugh or ten. ;)

BTW, I don't own a cell phone, never have, just don't have a use for them...

Dallastx 06-23-2007 11:46 PM

Yeah. I could see that bro. I'm not rich, just love my man toys.

ryback 06-23-2007 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

If my 1200c only gets 56 or so horses. then my 883 only got equal to a briggs and stratton lawnmower engine. I don't agree with those numbers at all. I gotta be pushing at least 65 plus.
Dallas, it's been pretty well documented here with dyno reports/results that a Full Stage 1 upgrade on a 1200 results in about a 10-13 HP gain over stock, depending on the exhaust & high flow A/C installed,with the resulting HP being in the upper 60's to low 70's. Your 883 musta been runnin on one cylinder or your feeding your non stage 1 1200 nitrous. :D:D

Dallastx 06-24-2007 12:16 AM

I'm gonna dyno my 1200. It has much more power than my 883. My 883 couldn't get the front wheel up in the air if I used a tow truck. It was running just fine. My 1200 has the drags and home made BCT baffles. I can easily pull the front wheel off the ground.

ryback 06-24-2007 12:37 AM

We will all be interested in your results. I still believe taking the cob outa the pigs a$$ only makes the farts louder. If you don't get the apple outa it's mouth the sucker will die from lack of air. Ya won't get a good fart out if ya can't get the beans in. :D:D

SportyPig 06-24-2007 12:40 AM

Interesting numbers. I really think the reason HD went to EFI on all bikes in 07 had to do more with emissoins requirements more than fuel mileage requirements.