Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny_bravo00 ~ Mods & Maintanance thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

Late last night I felt the project was going along too smoothly. I decided to snap my clutch cable threads off flush inside the primary cover so I wouldn't have to feel that way anymore.

SMH

Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
Late last night I felt the project was going along too smoothly. I decided to snap my clutch cable threads off flush inside the primary cover so I wouldn't have to feel that way anymore.

SMH
That sucks !

I al so had this once in the past but I was lucky to get the broken part out with a reverse tap, a tool for removing broken bolts.

The following users liked this post:
johnny_bravo00 (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

For a split second I almost kicked the bike over, lol. It was late, I was tired. Took a few breaths, walked inside and shut the lights off. I'm going to try an easy-out tonight. Fingers crossed it comes out without much fuss.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

Thats why when things are going way to smoothly, I call it a day and walk away before slmething like this happens.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:09 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

Originally Posted by whylee
Thats why when things are going way to smoothly, I call it a day and walk away before slmething like this happens.
That salt in a wound feeling today.

Hindsight > 20/20

Old 06-14-2019, 03:42 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

SMH
Good call! I mean, if you're going to totally FUBAR something, make it a fairly easy fix, like a broken clutch cable. Don't go totally nuts and crack your cases or anything like that.

I feel your pain.

How did you manage to break it?

Old 06-14-2019, 03:58 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TStephen
Good call! I mean, if you're going to totally FUBAR something, make it a fairly easy fix, like a broken clutch cable. Don't go totally nuts and crack your cases or anything like that.

I feel your pain.

How did you manage to break it?
LOL, i'll try not go crazy on the casing. If the cable threads dislodge it will be a fairly easy fix. Best case scenario...
Had the wrench on it, wanted to make sure the O-ring was seated properly. Heard the "click" sound and knew immediately I had snapped it. Stood up, almost kicked the bike over. Put the wrench back on to try and loosen it, that's when it came completely apart. Few choice words and a moment of heavy breathing.

Called today and ordered a new cable ($85), not expected to see it until next Thursday/Friday. The best I can do now is get the rest buttoned up and ready for when the cable arrives.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

Although I havnt tried to extract the broken stud out of the primary cover, I finished up the belt side of the bike. Forward controls, intake and heat shields are on. Not noticeable in pics but I polished up the external breather drain line coming out of the bottom of the intake. It is a rigid brake line that I plummed into the breather bolts. Originally it had no finish on it, then I painted it, it and hated it. Now she's shiny .

Using a factory intake and the way I am draining the breather tubes. You have to cut off the tubes feeding into the filter. Thought I'd show how I covered them up. A dime is a perfect cover once super glued on. Only adding to the value of the bike...

Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

LOL, i'll try not go crazy on the casing. If the cable threads dislodge it will be a fairly easy fix. Best case scenario...
Had the wrench on it, wanted to make sure the O-ring was seated properly. Heard the "click" sound and knew immediately I had snapped it. Stood up, almost kicked the bike over. Put the wrench back on to try and loosen it, that's when it came completely apart. Few choice words and a moment of heavy breathing.

Called today and ordered a new cable ($85), not expected to see it until next Thursday/Friday. The best I can do now is get the rest buttoned up and ready for when the cable arrives.
Don't go all "Hulk SMASH!!" on it when you finally get around to removing it.

johnny_bravo00 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

I’m going to take it completely off to try my best to “finesse” the stud out. If she doesn’t budge.. Well, I hope it comes out. Don’t want to torch it (and hulk smash). Lol

Honestly, I wasn’t even torquing on that bolt. It snapped soo easily in the first place. Not sure if it was just an old fatigued piece..? Or is it simply because it’s a hollow bolt.

Quick Reply: Johnny_bravo00 ~ Mods & Maintanance thread