Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny_bravo00 ~ Mods & Maintanance thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Good Luck man!

Better late than never. I have a project that is two years in and on hold.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
johnny_bravo00 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by whylee
Good luck, lets hope its ready to go when the weather breaks.
Thanks Whylee, thats what I'm hoping for. Sat in my garage end of July-on last year and I had nothing but regrets.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Good Luck man!

Better late than never. I have a project that is two years in and on hold.
I follow your projects. Your build is much more in depth than mine, lol. So thats understandable. Mine, I started off just wanting to change a rocker box gasket. One part off for powder led to another. Now I've got cams falling out on the floor.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

Rocker box gasket kit came in the mail yesterday.
Now, if it was only a little warmer than -20C in my garage

Old 03-11-2019, 07:23 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

Getting a little bit warmer. Decided to start finishing the parts, readying them for powder. Stripping the heat shields of the old powder. Decided to go gloss this time instead of the satin that was there before.

Bottom shot gives some of the southerners an idea of the weather here in Toronto. Had some above freezing temps yesterday so I decided to start chipping away at the ice build up. Spring weather is just around the corner.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 332 Likes on 290 Posts

Thank you, I enjoyed reading.
Continued luck to you as we all await your bike's completion.

johnny_bravo00 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:35 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

I feel your pain with regards to the weather. We have had nothing but snow and freezing temps since Dec. Just canr bring myself to take the bike out with all the ice and salt on the roads.

johnny_bravo00 (03-11-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 01:07 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

Managed to get an hour or two in. Was able to finish polishing off the old powder off of the heat shields, remove the horrible teflon washers off the rocker tops and clean everything (kind of). Questioning what to do with the lower Rocker tops (piece that holds rocker arms). Has anyone powder coated theirs?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:53 PM
ahappydude
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your build has me totally confused. What is the master plan?

Are you powder coating everything? If so, what color and why did you sand everything(are you saving the powder coater work, as it needs to be sandblasted)?

I would powder coat the lower box like the CVO harley's, orange or color match the tank. I recently powder coated my fender and tank. I wish I though ahead and did the rocker box to match. Now I have to wait for the next leak to do it. Probably going to re-powder coat the bike a different color over winter. It drives my bike buddies nuts that I can repaint my bike each year for under $50 bucks.

Korbenw7p3c (07-03-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ahappydude
Your build has me totally confused. What is the master plan?

Are you powder coating everything? If so, what color and why did you sand everything(are you saving the powder coater work, as it needs to be sandblasted)?

I would powder coat the lower box like the CVO harley's, orange or color match the tank. I recently powder coated my fender and tank. I wish I though ahead and did the rocker box to match. Now I have to wait for the next leak to do it. Probably going to re-powder coat the bike a different color over winter. It drives my bike buddies nuts that I can repaint my bike each year for under $50 bucks.
I love the look of that CVO but wont be doing mine the same. If the bike had red accents I definitely would. Most parts will be powdered gloss or satin black. As for the sanding, I try to do as much prep work I can. The guy laying the powder is a "friend of a friend" and I get a discount.
Colours aside, I was more-so asking if anyone has powder coated the lower pieces as I feel that would be the hardest piece to do properly. If it is to hard to do (properly) without getting any powder on the internal portion. I would just tell the applicator not to bother. I don't want to chance it coming back ruined.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:08 PM
ahappydude
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am tracking you, as I do powder coating myself and it is much easier to sandblast bare metal. I don't see any issues with powder coating the primary or cam covers. Your coater should mask off the inside and any plug the holes.

Heads up on black powder coating. If you are trying to match the factory finish go with Harley denim black powder coat. It is the closest match that I have found.

I do most of my engine parts in hi heat texture black from Columbia coating s. The texture helps hide the color shift. If you are looking for a pop, I highly recommend prismatic powders illusion colors. My green bike is illusion money.

Quick Reply: Johnny_bravo00 ~ Mods & Maintanance thread