Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first "long" trip on my Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 587 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
I guess you missed the memo about the Sportster being good for nothing but putting to the store for some milk...

NICE looking bike! Sportsters are a blast to ride, I know I love mine.
ha! Yeah I’ve heard that too....guess I’ll just have to enjoy riding it distances even though it’s a girls bike hahahaha.

thanks man, I really like the pictures I’ve seen of your bike too.

The following users liked this post:
firehawk6 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:17 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by futzy
I just started riding and have done a couple of 2 hour trips from Chicago to Wisconsin on a sportster 48. First time was a breeze, just a bit stiff in the back/neck but this recent trip left me feeling like I have carpal tunnel in my right hand. My middle and ring fingers are hard to straighten out and I've got very little finger strength (didn't even notice until I went to pull the key out the ignition and struggled). Hoping it will pass soon and my body will adjust for more trips in the near future.
hey futzy, I hope your hand gets better too. Have you tried a different bar set up or grips? My original bars put me in a position that was really uncomfortable and made my hands numb. As soon as I tried bars with a higher rise/more back sweep it cured the issues. Also those stock grips are garbage!

futzy (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 PM
futzy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudepants

hey futzy, I hope your hand gets better too. Have you tried a different bar set up or grips? My original bars put me in a position that was really uncomfortable and made my hands numb. As soon as I tried bars with a higher rise/more back sweep it cured the issues. Also those stock grips are garbage!
Not willing to change the bars at this time. I really like the look of the low ones. Good to know about the grips tho, I'll have to do some research/shopping.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by futzy
Not willing to change the bars at this time. I really like the look of the low ones. Good to know about the grips tho, I'll have to do some research/shopping.
yeah try some biltwell or lowbrow rubber grips. They’re cheap and easy to replace. I’ve got some lowbrow beck grips that are on the thinner side but comfy as hell! The biltwell Kung fu grips are awesome too, feel like a nicer version of the mushroom grips we had on bmx bikes back in the day. I guess that’s not a surprise since one of the owners, Magoo, came from bmx

futzy (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Zedbra
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 497 Posts

I was missing the 'wind therapy' after years off the saddle and have been out cruising non-stop, taking the roads I have never travelled and enjoying my 120 mile round trip commute. I have put over 1200 miles on my new bike in less than a week - still feeling like I need more therapy. If you find yourself wanting to do more touring, I would also suggest getting different bars to prevent any numbness in your fingers - you need those fingers to respond how you need them, when you need them.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Blue Scoot
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Next time you take a ride on the bike pay attention to your grip. Most riders without realizing it will grip the handlebars really tight. Also try stretching your forearms before and after the ride. That might be all you need to do instead of changing parts.

Keep putting miles on that Sporty!! We need more of us with high miles on our Sportsters to prove they aren't just bar hoppers.

Have you ever thought about motorcycle camping? Definitely one of my favorite ways to travel!

futzy (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:17 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Blue Scoot
Have you ever thought about motorcycle camping? Definitely one of my favorite ways to travel!
I definitely would like to try that. A friend of mine and I have been talking about riding around Lake Superior. Itd be cool to do some camping on that trip

Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

It's definitely a different feeling being out in the world with nothing but your bike, I love the adventure too. +1 on the camping trip, tie on a tent and sleeping bag and just go.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by samhallnc
It's definitely a different feeling being out in the world with nothing but your bike, I love the adventure too. +1 on the camping trip, tie on a tent and sleeping bag and just go.
yeah, I’m totally hooked. This little trip solidified me as a rider, I’m in it until I can’t do it anymore. I’m thinking about doing an early fall trip to South Dakota or something. That’d be a good test for the new helmet.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Pnut48
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

love the style you did your bike in. the Le Pera seat sets it off nicely too. Glad you had a good ride

Quick Reply: My first "long" trip on my Sportster