Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Sportster not starting sitting for 3 years + repairs

Old 05-13-2019, 03:03 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone. I will try putting some carb cleaner in the carb throat tonight and let you know if that gets it started. One other thing I saw from a post on this site is to check to see if my vacuum line from my petcock is installed, though I'm not sure where it goes to on the carb.

What would cause lack of compression?

Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

A valve being stuck open would do it, if both plugs are in tight. Cracked or worn compression rings also.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM
TexNorth
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Don't use carb cleaner. Buy a can of starting fluid and give it a shot in the carb and see if it fires. Carb cleaner is iffy on whether it will fire off or not. If it doesn't fire off, then I would pull the plugs and do a quick compression test and see if there is a valve stuck open. Check both cylinders. If it was stuck open, there is a slight chance it may have hit the piston and now it's bent and will not close. Rings are a whole different animal but you can check if you do a compression test and it shows low, then shoot some oil in the sparkplug hole and test compression again, if it goes up, may have an issue with rings.

Sitting that long I can guarantee that the carb needs cleaning and maybe new rubber parts. The new gas with alcohol is terrible to store in an engine.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced

ok so I tested the carb cleaner. The bike fired and started for about 2-3 seconds. So it is pretty safe to say that the bike isn't getting fuel at the point, right? I still have to check the vacuum line. Does anyone know where the vacuum line from the petcock goes?

Old 05-13-2019, 04:20 PM
TexNorth
Tourer

Is there a vacuum line? My 92 has a standard petcock, no vacuum. If there is a line it should from the back side of the petcock to the intake manifold somewhere. Turn the petcock off and pull the gas line. Get a cup and open the petcock and see if you are getting a good flow (assuming you don't have a vacuum style petcock). If you are getting flow, time to pull the carb and rebuild it. If not, your petcock is plugged up.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

What I would do at this point is turn off your petcock, remove the fuel line at the float bowl, stick the hose in a container and turn on the petcock to determine if you have good flow. Shut off petcock. If flow is bad, replace the fuel line from petcock to bowl and clean the petcock screen/filter ....then do the flow test again....if flow is good, install the line to the bowl, turn on petcock, then try starting her again.

If she doesn't start or if flow is good, then remove the float bowl and both jets....soak in something like this (pic below) overnight (longer depending on how much crud you find). while it is soaking, shoot carb cleaner up every hole in the carb i.e. intermediate and main jet in addition to the chock/enricher. When you remove the float bowl and jets from the soak, use a soft brush to remove any left over residue then shoot carb cleaner around every moving part as well as the float needle. For me, I just replaced my jets with new ones the same sizes...I suggest you buy whatever you need i.e. jets (if desired) and several float bowl gaskets before removing the float bowl so you have them when you are ready to reinstall the jets and bowl.

Side note...before you put back the float bowl, be sure the float level is in the proper position.

Last edited by hscic; 05-13-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced

I guess there isn't a vacuum line or at least I can't see one. I know fuel is getting to the petcock. I drained all of the fuel last summer and did so through the petcock.

Initially before this whole issue started, I was attempting to rebuild my carb. Mostly because of an issue with the accelerator pump seal. I bought the kit below and changed out all of those parts. Do you think it needs done again?

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/402...&totalResult=1

Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

You may have drained the fuel last summer, but you need to check it now. Alot can go wrong sitting for a year. If fuel is running out of the fuel line to the carb, then it is more than likely something wrong with the carb. Either dirty and plugged up or you did something wrong when you were in it last year.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (06-02-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:52 PM
TexNorth
Tourer

If the gas flow is good then it's time to pull the carb. Total tear down and clean and new parts as needed. I bet you have goo and debris in the orifices and/or the ports and jets.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfarley1
ok so I tested the carb cleaner. The bike fired and started for about 2-3 seconds. So it is pretty safe to say that the bike isn't getting fuel at the point, right? I still have to check the vacuum line. Does anyone know where the vacuum line from the petcock goes?
No vac line on a '91.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 Sportster not starting sitting for 3 years + repairs