Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Sportster not starting sitting for 3 years + repairs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 91 Sportster not starting sitting for 3 years + repairs

I have been on and off this forum for the last three years trying to get my bike running. At first I was experiencing an issue where my bike didn't idle. I was recommended to change the accelerator pump. I successfully repaired this( at least I think so - the fuel was squirt when I pumped it). Then I had all kinds of electrical issues and finally repaired those.

Today I put my bike mostly back together and cleaned my large carb jet. I went to start it and it is not starting. There is about half a gallon of gas in it.

Here is a video. Does anyone have any ideas from the sound?

Old 08-14-2018, 05:07 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfarley1
Does anyone have any ideas from the sound?

Last edited by underwhelmd; 08-14-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

^+1, does seem to be cranking over very fast, plugs not in or loose?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced

Plugs are definitely in and there should be no reason why they are lose. I didn't touch them. Could it be anything other than that?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:49 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Well first things first, shoot a bit of gas down the throat and try to start it, if it starts for a few seconds or at least kicks then your not getting gas, if no change then probably no spark.
Handlebar kill switch is on right?

Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I just went through this with my Ironhead and Shovelhead. There are three things needed to start the bike....compression, spark, fuel. knock off the easy stuff first.

Since fuel is squirting, seems to be fine. but test as previously mentioned. Could be other stuff that is hindering flow like fuel line, petcock, fuel inlet or even dirty tank or bad fuel.

Check for spark. Did you replace spark plugs? If plugs are new, then pull the plug, touch the plug to a ground source such as the heads, then turn the motor....you should see spark on the plugs. Caution before doing this test, be sure there is no fuel in the cylinder...otherwise when you test for spark and fuel sprays out of the plug holes, fire may occur. If no spark, could be your wires or something in the starting system such as coil.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (06-02-2019)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Check for spark. Did you replace spark plugs? If plugs are new, then pull the plug, touch the plug to a ground source such as the heads, then turn the motor....you should see spark on the plugs. Caution before doing this test, be sure there is no fuel in the cylinder...otherwise when you test for spark and fuel sprays out of the plug holes, fire may occur. If no spark, could be your wires or something in the starting system such as coil.
Yeah that's what I was suggesting as well. Since it didn't sound like it even wanted to go, just turning over, check for spark by grounding one out against the head. Simple to rule out.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-14-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry for the delay, I went on vacation right after posting this and am now just getting back to it.

Before the start of all of the problem I had with the bike, I replaced the plugs and they worked fine after.

I went out and unplugged the plug and touched it to the head. I didn't see any spark coming out and touching the head...unless I am doing it wrong. See image below. It is what I was doing.

Anyone know what else I should check?

Old 09-03-2018, 03:56 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

You should take out the plug, leave it connected to the wire. Hold the base of the plug against the engine for ground. Have someone crank it over see it the spark plug gap gets spark. Make sure you ground the plug, or you can possibly hurt the ignition module. Or, at least, I think that's what I've read. I'm not sure why it's bad, but maybe someone here can explain. Get that 1991 going, there's not a lot of us around. I like the black painted cylinders too.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 09-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Harper:
Midpegs (06-01-2019), Pfarley1 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Harper
You should take out the plug, leave it connected to the wire. Hold the base of the plug against the engine for ground. Have someone crank it over see it the spark plug gap gets spark. Make sure you ground the plug, or you can possibly hurt the ignition module. Or, at least, I think that's what I've read. I'm not sure why it's bad, but maybe someone here can explain. Get that 1991 going, there's not a lot of us around. I like the black painted cylinders too.

John
Do you recommend I put the plug elsewhere than the head? I'm not sure of a good spot to put it.

Quick Reply: 91 Sportster not starting sitting for 3 years + repairs