Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling UK Sportster Owners info needed on restricted 883

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:36 PM
forrest
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling UK Sportster Owners info needed on restricted 883

Hi, doesanyone out there have any experience of running an 883 on a restricted licence ? My wife is due to take her bike test, but has to take it on a 125 as we cant find a learning centre with a low enough, large enough bike for her to take her full licence on. So as she wants an 883 low, she will have to have it restricted, which I am told is done through the air intake. She is planning on buying a new one early next year, but how does an 883 injected run, what will it be like etc. So if anyone has any experience of this issue, I would be very glad for your info.

Many thanks
Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Calling UK Sportster Owners info needed on restricted 883

Why don't you let her use your bike?If the air intake is restricted the bike will run like a piece if ****.It may not even pull a hill.On the plus side if they can restrict it you can remove what they did.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Lev
Tourer

I believe they are restricted usung a washerbetween the carb andthe inlet manifold to reduce the amount of fuel/air delivered into the cylinder

Ive neverridden a restricted Sporty, but haveread on tother forumsthat
you don't notice much, if any, difference accelerating up through the gears, it just takes some off the top end. Im told It certainly seems to get up to 70 pretty quickly, then tails off up to 80-85, after which ... nothing.
I would imagine on an 883reducing to 33bhpwouldnt be taking too much from the stock power output?

Hope this helps

Lev

Old 06-30-2007, 06:08 PM
forrest
Cruiser

Thanks for the info so far, my wife can't use my bike as she is not tall enough to reach the ground properly and safely. (a lowrider is not low enough). She was getting a little disheartened as she had heard several stories of, a friend of a friend, of a friend, of a friend had one and it was teribble to ride. I hate the idea of restricting the power but it's the stupid law we have over here which discriminates the vertically challanged ! with the 07 being fuel injected, I'm hoping it would be a smooth and less noticable problem than perhaps the older carb models (if a problem ever existed in the first place, with riding a restricted 883)

please keep your views and info coming

many thanks
Steve

Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 AM
Lev
Tourer

Where are you getting the Sporty from? The lads at Dockgate 20 will be able to help you with sorting it out ( probably even if you didnt get it from there) Or if you want to get advice from one of the best 'independant' shops near you, try Tubbs down in Poole at

http://www.hotrodsandharleys.co.uk/

Lev

Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
forrest
Cruiser

Thanks for the post Lev,

but it's not getting the restriction done that's the problem, it's finding someone with a restricted 07 bike as there seem to be very few about, so I can get some genuine feedback on what the bike will be like.
I contacted 3 harley dealers in the south of England and at that time, about 2 months ago, they didn't know what neded to be done, they do now, just nobody seems to have done one.
I have spoken with the owner of an 05 model and she was not impressed at all and said the bike was un-reliable (spluttering / cutting out etc) and put her offf riding it. She claimed once the bike was de-restricted all the problems ended.
I just don't want to buy a bike and have problems, put my wife off now she's got the bug !
So i am still after info please.

Steve

Old 01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
fatboyxxxxx
3rd Gear

my g/f had same problem as your wife being short and did her test on 125 ,bought her a 98 sporty and had to restrict it for her ,its just a steel washer that fits in inlet to restrict airflow hardly any difference in power loss just top end speed not sure how it would work with efi model though should be pretty much the same i would have thought hope this helps

Old 01-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont know as Ive never really looked into them, but I know there are metric cruisers at 125cc. Dont any of them do something a bit bigger around 250-400ccyou could get her second hand which would be low enough and come within the regulations for a couple of years until she could ride an 883 unrestricted.

I appreciate she may prefer a Harley to a metric, but a couple of years experience on a bike bigger than a 125cc but smaller and lighter than an 883 might be useful.

If she really has her heart set on an 883, perhaps a dealer could arrange an off road test ride? It would be worthwhile establishing how confident she felt with the weight and balance of such a bike.

Anyway, just throwing in suggestions which you can either consider or discard as you think fit.

Hope you find something suitable.