Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jagg 4550 oil filter adapter (oil cooler)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default jagg 4550 oil filter adapter (oil cooler)

ok, i made a big fuss about the jagg 4500 filter sandwich adapter... sad part is i've had one (jag 4550-ish sandwhich adapter) on my sportster for years (3+) I cant find the hissy fit)thread but i know it's here somewhere.

https://jagg.com/products/jagg-oil-f...ith-thermostat

the filter shot off last time oi rode the sporty due to, whatever...... but i reached out to jagg for gaskets and all that jazz which they had slong before my accident. all that got here and has been in my garage since it months ago....., i'm going to fix zll that this week.

long story short. after that incident. i had to redo the gasket on the adapter and everything any way. (no laughing matter)...

so i will be replacing the filter, some oil, the gaskets, etc, over the next few days.

I cant find the adapter thread from the install of the newer 4550-idh adapter in the now dead duna but. Here are some pictures.

the bike has non been started since the oil filter shooting off issue at months ago. Should be fun. Locktite will be used on the rocket filter threaded threads. No more rocket filters.

took long but I had no idea where the keys and fins where. Found them today

more info: from jagg https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...02895804425445

me fussing way back when, but already had one on my sporty for years.: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...rking-117.html

Last edited by cvaria; 08-27-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:11 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I thought you had this repair sorted and done long ago?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by underwhelmd
I thought you had this repair sorted and done long ago?
lol, once it happened i moved on to get the dyna's plumbing right. this sorta took a back seat. i had torn everything down but moved on. that filter shooting off was no joke. luckily i saw it all happen. there were warning signs too. smell of oil burning. no drips i could see though. i will fix this for possible sale the old rocket filter is in one of those plastic bags. the bike has been parked ever since. fresh new tires and all

Last edited by cvaria; 08-27-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
packmen21
Banned
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
lol, once it happened i moved on to get the dyna's plumbing right. this sorta took a back seat. i had torn everything down but moved on. that filter shooting off was no joke. luckily i saw it all happen. there were warning signs too. smell of oil burning. no drips i could see though. i will fix this for possible sale the old rocket filter is in one of those plastic bags. the bike has been parked ever since. fresh new tires and all
+1

Old 08-27-2018, 09:02 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria

Ah jeez, it was a while ago eh. I remember the pics from the rocket filter and oil on the road. Glad to see you are working on it. I'm kinda hoping you will keep it but you gotta do what's good for you. In the meantime, Amazon has almost gone broke because you aren't buying parts anymore. Jeff Bezos may quit.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:29 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Glad to see you back on here....the forum misses your expertise. Hope you are doing well. Wrenching is therapeutical.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

i reached out to jagg today to talk about the oil filter rocket incident that brought this all about. the guy i spoke to said that he hadn't heard of such a thing. (my luck, right?) so i asked him if dragging a screw driver accros the threads on the oil filter mount extesntion would prevent it from launching agaim. he said the use Vibratite at Jagg. ( https://www.vibra-tite.com/ ) on many applications with no rocket fire like mine. he said dragging the screw driver across the threads is a grass roots metthod thT MIGHT WORK BUT vibratit ewas good. i can;t find it locally, hmmm

Last edited by cvaria; 08-28-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 2,938 Posts

It is great to see you posting up again! Curious, I went with the 4550 adapter on my Sportster and while this obviously did happen I'm at a loss to figure out how. Did the threads on the Jaggs supplied filter nipple strip out, was the nipple still in the filter? I was somewhat shocked when I saw it was made from aluminum. You would think the pressure from the adapter gasket to engine filter mount would be enough tension to keep it from spinning. I did put some blue locktite on mine when I installed it. Again, you would think the combined tension from the filter gasket and the adapter gasket on the nipple would help prevent this from happening so suddenly.

Last edited by firehawk6; 08-28-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:27 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Is there a link about this "rocket" filter. I must have missed that one. Sounds very interesting.

Blue Vibra-Tite 121 is the same as Blue Loctite 242. See how they did that with the numbers? Very clever marketing department. Or, it's half as good? Who knows.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 08-28-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by firehawk6
It is great to see you posting up again! Curious, I went with the 4550 adapter on my Sportster and while this obviously did happen I'm at a loss to figure out how. Did the threads on the Jaggs supplied filter nipple strip out, was the nipple still in the filter? I was somewhat shocked when I saw it was made from aluminum. You would think the pressure from the adapter gasket to engine filter mount would be enough tension to keep it from spinning. I did put some blue locktite on mine when I installed it. Again, you would think the combined tension from the filter gasket and the adapter gasket on the nipple would help prevent this from happening so suddenly.

no they didn't strip out, i'm THINKING vibrationion caused the issue. i'm not sure what happened there. the filtyer and the thread ed nipple extension came off. the extension was still in the filter when i finally found it. it had been on there for years through numerous oil changes. could hve been any number of issues that cuased it in the end. i'm not reallly sure, i just don't want to relive that incident i=or another accident.

Quick Reply: jagg 4550 oil filter adapter (oil cooler)