Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Sportster 48 cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Brandon Michaels
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Sportster 48 cranks but wont start

Hey guys, I need some help with my 2013 48:

22,000 miles
2-1 exhaust
Vance and Hines intake
Fuelpak 3 tuner

About 2 weeks ago I rode over to my buddy’s house about 10 miles, went out to start my bike after a few hours and started right up, after about a 1/4 mile, it died. Just bogged down like it was running out of gas. I tried to bump it before I came to a stop but couldn’t get it going, tried to start it once stopped but starter just clicked, ended up towing it home. Put it on the tender, the next morning went out and started right up. Figured I’d go and get some gas. Let it warm up, and rode over to the gas station, it was hesitating the whole time, made it about 3 miles till it just died at a light. Towed it home again. Strap broke on the tow truck and my bike fell over... got it home, figured it wasn’t charging hence it kept dying and wouldn’t turn over (battery is pretty new, need to have it load tested still) went out and threw the new regulator on, but it only cranks and cranks and cranks but won’t start, checked all my fuses with a VOM, all good. Swapped the relays around, nothing. Figured I’d pull out my spare (brand new) CPS, with no change. Reflashed the ECM back to stock, no change. Pulled the plugs and they were wet with fuel, pulled the coil and tested it, from what I’ve read it’s good. Around 3 ohms, but im not getting spark. Tested for 12v to the coil and found out I’m not getting 12v to the coil. I’m pretty stumped here. No codes on the speedo. Made sure everything was plugged in. Thanks for reading any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited by Brandon Michaels; 09-13-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 09-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Check the ground wire that attaches to the frame.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Brandon Michaels
Intermediate

Cleaned both terminals, and the frame ground and the engine ground, no spark still

Old 09-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

FP3's ok?

Old 09-13-2018, 06:16 PM
Brandon Michaels
Intermediate

Seemed fine, flashed my tune over again, nothing, flashed back to stock, nothing.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:31 PM
suntzuzuzki
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you programming your FP3 from an iPhone? I had something just like this happen. Turned out there was a firmware update that had only partially installed in my FP3. I went to 'Customer Support' and updated the firmware again. Then re-flash your maps.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:01 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

You will only get voltage to the coil (without the engine running) for a few seconds until the ECM detects the engine being cranked.
The coil power comes from the system relay when you first turn the run switch on. When not running, the power is removed from the coil until the ECU
detects the engine is being cranked and the ECU detects compression (slowing down of the crankshaft due to compression)

You may not see spark when cranking with the spark plugs removed.
The ECU will only fire the plugs if it detects compression, the crank shaft slows during cranking on the compression stroke then the ECU will allow spark as it knows where the compression stroke is.

Phase
(TDC compression) is determined by the ECM during startup and, when necessary, while running. No engine ignition events
can occur until the ECM determines the relationship of piston position to crankshaft position.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Brandon Michaels
Intermediate

Originally Posted by suntzuzuzki
Are you programming your FP3 from an iPhone? I had something just like this happen. Turned out there was a firmware update that had only partially installed in my FP3. I went to 'Customer Support' and updated the firmware again. Then re-flash your maps.
suntzuzuzki, I am doing it from an iPhone but the only option I have is to check for updates, I can’t force it to re update, how did you get it to update?

Old 09-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Brandon Michaels
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shanneba
You will only get voltage to the coil (without the engine running) for a few seconds until the ECM detects the engine being cranked.
The coil power comes from the system relay when you first turn the run switch on. When not running, the power is removed from the coil until the ECU
detects the engine is being cranked and the ECU detects compression (slowing down of the crankshaft due to compression)

You may not see spark when cranking with the spark plugs removed.
The ECU will only fire the plugs if it detects compression, the crank shaft slows during cranking on the compression stroke then the ECU will allow spark as it knows where the compression stroke is.

Phase
(TDC compression) is determined by the ECM during startup and, when necessary, while running. No engine ignition events
can occur until the ECM determines the relationship of piston position to crankshaft position.
shanneba, thank you for the info, it was really helpful understand how the ecu works, does the engine see compression from the sensor in cylinder 1? If so, if that sensor is bad would it prevent spark?

What other things could I check? Would it be possible that the coil is bad even tho it ohm’d out okay?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:13 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

The ECU detects compression in both cylinders when the crankshaft slows down slightly during cranking.
It uses the output of the CPS sensor to measure the slow down.

You might try opening the throttle slightly, maybe 10%, then try starting.
Same as you would normally do for a flooded engine.

Last edited by shanneba; 09-15-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Sportster 48 cranks but wont start