Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Nightster wheel fitment (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1253680-nightster-wheel-fitment.html)

whylee 09-16-2018 11:40 AM

Nightster wheel fitment

I have a 18 1200 Iron. I want a set of spoke wheels instead of the mag wheels. Just from checking specs, the Nightsters have the same size wheels. Anyone know if anything has changed in the way of axel size or anything else that would prevent this from being a bolt on swap.

SPORTSTER0311 09-16-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by whylee (Post 17686580)
I have a 18 1200 Iron. I want a set of spoke wheels instead of the mag wheels. Just from checking specs, the Nightsters have the same size wheels. Anyone know if anything has changed in the way of axel size or anything else that would prevent this from being a bolt on swap.

I did the same thing but went from spokes to mags. Used my old rotors and pulley and everything was a direct swap. I did get new bolts for the pulley based off what I had read. Spacers were the same and it was a pretty easy job after watching some YouTube videos first and getting all the torque specs for the job. The hardest part was finding a good set of used mags from the right year with the 25mm bearings.

whylee 09-16-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SPORTSTER0311 (Post 17687034)

I did the same thing but went from spokes to mags. Used my old rotors and pulley and everything was a direct swap. I did get new bolts for the pulley based off what I had read. Spacers were the same and it was a pretty easy job after watching some YouTube videos first and getting all the torque specs for the job. The hardest part was finding a good set of used mags from the right year with the 25mm bearings.

from what I have found, it seems 08 and up use the same bearings. Did you trade for your wheels or buy them?
I have been kicking around the idea of trading my mags, just not sure which have greater value.

SPORTSTER0311 09-16-2018 05:06 PM

Correct on the year. I tried to trade but no takers so I bought the mags off eBay and sold the stock spokes/tires locally. Threw new tires on the mags and came out close to even but had what I wanted. I don’t think you’d have a hard time finding someone to trade with you. Your bike being so new I’d ask or expect someone trading to add cash. If you can’t find the deal you want just buy some and sell yours. The new mags shouldn’t be hard to sell especially with good tires on them. I’m glad I sold mine locally. I didn’t want to pay or deal with shipping.

whylee 09-16-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SPORTSTER0311 (Post 17687086)
Correct on the year. I tried to trade but no takers so I bought the mags off eBay and sold the stock spokes/tires locally. Threw new tires on the mags and came out close to even but had what I wanted. I don’t think you’d have a hard time finding someone to trade with you. Your bike being so new I’d ask or expect someone trading to add cash. If you can’t find the deal you want just buy some and sell yours. The new mags shouldn’t be hard to sell especially with good tires on them. I’m glad I sold mine locally. I didn’t want to pay or deal with shipping.

Seeing as my tires are like new, only 200 miles on them I would think I would come out with some cash out of it. Im transforming my bike to a tracker over the winter so I need the 19 inch front and the rear hub to relace it to a 19 rear.

Looney888 09-17-2018 03:11 AM

Do you have ABS? if so you will need to ensure your new wheels have ABS bearings installed, if you don't have ABS it won't matter.

Spokes look cool but they rust and tubes suck balls. Each to their own though, so good luck.

whylee 09-17-2018 07:36 AM

No ABS on my bike.