Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

Rubber is for Duckies............damn $375

Last edited by Zateeva; 12-28-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 581 Likes on 329 Posts

haha, that’s not going to happen, sticking with my rubber duckies hahahaha

Old 12-29-2018, 06:37 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,773 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Looking good dude. Love the stance. Forgot to tell you an electrical supply house has small boxes you can adapt for your electronics.Check Grainger out too.Mounted above the battery it will fill some of the space that’s in there now. I’m going to run my stock harness with the breakers and fuses. I learned the hard way what parts cost on an earlier build when you fry something. When I tore the bike down I eliminated all unnessary wires I wasn’t going to use.
You’re doing a good job man. You got a color picked out yet?

Old 12-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by back again
Looking good dude. Love the stance. Forgot to tell you an electrical supply house has small boxes you can adapt for your electronics.Check Grainger out too.Mounted above the battery it will fill some of the space that’s in there now. I’m going to run my stock harness with the breakers and fuses. I learned the hard way what parts cost on an earlier build when you fry something. When I tore the bike down I eliminated all unnessary wires I wasn’t going to use.
You’re doing a good job man. You got a color picked out yet?
awesome, thank you for all the pointers BA. they’ve really been helpful. i need to figure out the following issues:

- with a rubbermount sporty, the swing arm attaches to the rear motor mount. now that i don’t have a swing arm, i’m not sure how to take up the gap left. might try finding some really large washers or something
- wiring - i need to sit down with the stock harness and start disecting what i really need and where it will all go. your tip on the electrical box might do the trick for the ICU and fuses.
- tail light - am i going to mount it to the fender or do a sissy bar? if i did a sissy, it’d be rather short.
- better check that chain line befor i go much further, i’m a little scared it might hit the oil tank

Old 12-29-2018, 01:30 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

That’s where I was talking about putting the box. If you get a little larger box rectangle shaped may as high as needed to get your circuit breaker block in it will take a lot of the open look away. Weld that section of fender back on also.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by back again
That’s where I was talking about putting the box. If you get a little larger box rectangle shaped may as high as needed to get your circuit breaker block in it will take a lot of the open look away. Weld that section of fender back on also.
ah gotcha. yeah i will definitely look into a box or modifiying the one i have. in the mean time, from what i can tell the chain line looks good, but it hits the fender, so it looks like i’ll be notching it. Also with the two inch stretch my chain is too short hahaha!

Last edited by Dudepants; 12-29-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:00 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

You talk to anyone yet that has a rubber mount rigid about the chain slap? Pat or Joe at LS should be able to tell you weather or not you need to run a roller. I heard some say you need it with more stretch than two”. Looks like when you get chain adjusted a lot of the there now is going away. I don’t know anyone who has hard tailed a rubber mount in my crowd.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,256 Likes on 926 Posts

These guys have urethane mounts and are alot cheaper than those billet ones.
Their webpage says their mounts will eliminate chain-slap.

https://shop.rycamotors.com/solid_mo...rtster_02.html

hth,

T.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:25 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Dude, you need to talk to Kevin at DK Customs, sponsor on this site. He is in the middle of a similar build, should be able to help you out. Good guy to chat with.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:58 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,256 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Dude, you need to talk to Kevin at DK Customs, sponsor on this site. He is in the middle of a similar build, should be able to help you out. Good guy to chat with.
Kevin's build is with a solid mount 2003 so that rear mount isn't the same issue as this one.

Could start with this thread for reference pictures;
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post15749357

They started in 2016 and are still slowly working on it.

T.

Quick Reply: Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop