Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,921 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Looks great, get the fuse block and go for a ride. Then start fixing everything that breaks or falls off from the "shakedown" runs. Might take a month or so but she should shake out well and then be a killer ride. Almost there.

The following users liked this post:
Dudepants (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 587 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Looks great, get the fuse block and go for a ride. Then start fixing everything that breaks or falls off from the "shakedown" runs. Might take a month or so but she should shake out well and then be a killer ride. Almost there.
i think everything might fall off hahahaha!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kevin R
I don't think my back could handle a ridged. Looks good though. Have fun
Haha, I hope my back can handle it too hahaha

Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Dude the bike looks great !

Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Dude the bike looks great !
Thanks man! took it for a quick shakedown ride with temporary fuses in place. felt great and ran awesome, but found the chain is too loose. going to tighten it and try again. if it’s still bouncing around too much, i’ll add a tensioner wheel

Old 03-24-2019, 02:34 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

The add of a tensioner wheel is not a bad thing, must add it myself because my frame is 3" stretched so the chain will bouncing for sure. A chain needs to have +- 0,60" à 0.78" play otherweis she is going
to make a crackling noise. A chain that is not tensioned in the right way, if your chain "flaps", it is too weak. Abruptly accelerating with a slack chain also means that your gearbox and, among other things,
bearings in your rear wheel get extra blows. A chain that is too tight is put under extra strain and can even result in an annoying switching motor. You measure the play in the middle of the chain.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

The add of a tensioner wheel is not a bad thing, must add it myself because my frame is 3" stretched so the chain will bouncing for sure. A chain needs to have +- 0,60" à 0.78" play otherweis she is going
to make a crackling noise. A chain that is not tensioned in the right way, if your chain "flaps", it is too weak. Abruptly accelerating with a slack chain also means that your gearbox and, among other things,
bearings in your rear wheel get extra blows. A chain that is too tight is put under extra strain and can even result in an annoying switching motor. You measure the play in the middle of the chain.
Thanks Money. Yeah i think i probably have an inch or more there, so i’ll adjust it and see how it goes. other than that it runs fantastic. with all the **** talking on this site about straight pipes, it feels great to me. Maybe those DK torque inserts i put in really make a difference!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:28 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 2,122 Posts

On the mark Money. Check again a couple times dude after some miles especially if you have a tendency for burnouts haha. Tq cones or lollipops are a must with straight pipes. Did you use leather washers under gas tank and rear fender? Great vibration isolator Also check your plugs and rejet if needed. It’s possible going from mufflers to the pipes it may have leaned it out.That primer looks pretty good for a color . I know you can’t wait to get some miles on it.
Did you happen to weigh parts as you assembled? G.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Thanks BA! yeah tightening the chain seems to have helped substantially, not getting nearly the “rattling” i was getting before. i’ll check it after a few rides to see where it’s at. Low end still feels awesome on this thing! i slide off the seat a bit when i goose it hahahaha. Believe it or not but that color is actually paint, some Toyota color from Dupli Color spray paint. i know, sac-religious!

So so far i’m loving it. rides smooth and runs so much better than it did before. i will check the plugs to make sure it’s not running lean though.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

This thing is just way too much fun hahahaha

The following 6 users liked this post by Dudepants:
Andy from Sandy (03-25-2019), Architect (03-25-2019), johnny_bravo00 (03-26-2019), normannewguy (03-25-2019), Oddman (03-27-2019), WKNDS (03-24-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop