Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusable oil filters: gimmick, or. . . ?

Old 11-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Souzafone
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The reusable helps cool the oil, is easier to remove, and is simple to clean. If you're changing your own oil you have to dispose of the used oil, it only takes a minute to clean the mesh. It also will move from bike to bike, the only filter I will buy is when I sell or trade. For me the ease of removal is probably the most obvious benefit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Souzafone:
DK Custom (11-12-2018), skypeace (04-26-2019)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Norm31
Their claim is that their filter will catch particles 3x smaller than a conventional filter will (about 35 microns). Another claim from Ness is that conventional filters can flow so poorly that unfiltered oil can flow thru the bypass valve. I thought that was interesting.

This is a selling tactic and total BS...it is not possible to filter smaller particles, and have more flow...you get to pick one...

The following users liked this post:
Swartzy (12-10-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Souzafone
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Surface area also comes into consideration. So does the media type.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:35 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Oil filters are changing for the better with synthetic media.

Here are a couple of links that you may find interesting-

http://www.ilk-end.com/SharedFiles/D...id=20&mid=1068

"Fiberglass media was the first high efficiency/low restriction media used in filtration.
Microglass media has a much greater capacity and efficiency than a comparable cellulose, yet has a much lower restriction"

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/s...udy/index.html

"Abrasive engine wear can be substantially reduced with an increase in filter single pass efficiency.
Compared to a 40µ filter, engine wear was reduced by 50% with 30µ filtration.
Likewise, wear was reduced by 70% with 15µ filtration.

Controlling the abrasive contaminants in the range of 2 to 22µ in the lube oil is necessary for controlling engine wear."

Old 11-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Peak Seaker
Road Master
Received 925 Likes on 385 Posts

I have used this for 6 years and love the fact that I can see whats going on in there. No leaks, works great!

The following 2 users liked this post by Peak Seaker:
Old 11-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

FWIW I run one on my sporty. the local Indie mechanic also runs a Harley rental service and runs them on all of his bikes. I've never had any issues with mine, never leaked and I havnt seen any difference in the dirty oil when I change it. I payed $102 with the thought being that I will have this bike until I cant ride any longer. It's also touted to keep the oil temps down slightly which is a bonus although ive never confirmed for myself. @DK Custom could probably through down some facts for us all

The following 2 users liked this post by Oddman:
Old 11-12-2018, 05:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

There are a lot more details at this LINK on why many of us see the benefit to these performance oil filters.

Below is an excerpt explaining HOW you can have Better filtration AND Better flow-

More Details:

The Outlaw High Performance filter offers many features not found in standard paper filters. Outstanding performance is obtained by their high flow rates, magnetic pre-filtering, consistent filtering medium, billet outer housing which aids in cooling the oil, and a unique progressive rate bypass which avoids unfiltered oil bypassing the filter at startup, and high-rpm operation — a major concern with standard paper filters.

At the heart of the filter is a medical grade 304 stainless-steel micronic cloth filter designed to pass a large volume of oil when compared to standard paper filters. The cloth is designed to filter out particles 35 microns or larger. (35 microns is below the limit of human visibility)

Before you start with the, “my filter is rated at 5 microns and it filters way better,” you need to understand just how the micron rating applies to oil filters. The HD OEM filters and aftermarket paper filters are rated on averages, percentages and multiple passes, so a 10-micron-rated paper filter may be letting particles 100 microns and larger through. The medical grade stainless steel cloth used in the performance filters is consistent across the entire surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns will pass through the material, it is an absolute, with paper filters, the rating is an average. Additionally, paper filters have a bypass, so on startup & high RPM the oil is not being filtered at all!

There have been many discussions about this, some folks like them, others don't. I personally run them on all my bikes for many reasons-

1. Better filtration
2. Related to above...no bypassing of filter media
3. Runs a bit cooler
4. Less drag on oil pump
5. Looks good
6. Less crap going in landfills
7. Saves money....one of the ones I have has over 200,000 miles on it, still looks like new. Just on that I've saved a bunch of $.

I do not run these because it is easier. It does take me 3-5 minutes to clean the filter media. It would be easier to just pop open a box and screw on the new filter. But, for me, the benefits are worth that extra 3-5 minutes each oil change.

I realize it may not be worth it to some folks that don't ride much (they would not save $), or to some folks that don't want to take the 3-5 minute to clean the media.

Different strokes for different folks.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 4 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Oddman (11-15-2018), Quadancer (01-12-2023), Road_King_Rider (10-19-2021), skypeace (04-26-2019)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

You sell then. What did we think you would say. LOL

Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by apache snow
You sell then. What did we think you would say. LOL

We sell them because we use them. Not the other way around.

We test thousands of products, and end up using and selling very few of them.

From our website-

As stated on our Home Page, since Day One- "We're dedicated to enhancing Your Riding Experience."

We do that by designing and manufacturing Quality Motorcycle Parts, right here in the USA.

From Concept to Production, our parts are Street Developed & Street Tested on our own Harley's.

If it's on our website, it's because it's a product we use ourselves and have confidence in recommending it!

We understand there are many companies that make/sell parts for Harley's that don't ride or really care about riding....we are not one of them.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Road_King_Rider (10-19-2021), skypeace (04-26-2019)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

I won't be using them. I have not had a problem with throw away filters in 58 years of automotive experience. Re usable filters are mostly marketing BS in my opinion. A solution in search of a problem.. As they say there is a sucker borne every minute.

Last edited by apache snow; 11-13-2018 at 06:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gravybiscuit (01-13-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reusable oil filters: gimmick, or. . . ?