Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusable oil filters: gimmick, or. . . ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

My concern would be on a big twin, the idle oil pressure is held by pump size and oil being proper weight (most under this but maybe viscosity). Harley's filter are 5 or 10. Plenty good enough. You do not want idle restriction. At upper RPM, the oil pump is relieved by a pressure release at 35.

Older bikes actually have a spring-loaded pressure release so the light does not come on at idle. These valves tend to sometime wear and leak and nothing is wrong except light worries you to death.
It's pretty. However, my 2004 still would not have broken even.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Gas mileage, oil consumption, maintenance ..... If your trying to save $$$ " not " . I didn't buy my bike to save $$$ I bought it for my pleasure. If it looks cool and does a better job than the OEM, and I can afford it, I'm gonna get it. Don't you care how your bike looks. It only enhances the look! JMO

Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

I bought one from DK about 4 years ago,transferred it from my last bike and put on the CVO in 2015, looks good, easy to remove with a socket, I think it is basically the same as the K and N but less expensive and gives me the opportunity to look at the oil and the small magnet that is part of the filter will show any metal that might be floating around.

The following 2 users liked this post by 68 XLCH:
DK Custom (10-20-2021), skypeace (04-26-2019)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
I think it is basically the same as the K and N but less expensive and gives me the opportunity to look at the oil and the small magnet that is part of the filter will show any metal that might be floating around.
The DK filter looks very similar to the Jagg filter. They both have the hex first (bottom) fin that looks like it might fit an oil filter wrench.
The bypass spring is different in the K&N

Jagg Filter picture-

Jagg filter picture-

DK Filter picture-

DK filter

K&N filter picture-

K&N filter

Old 11-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Oil filters have came a long way over the years ... I'm sure that many here can sight examples that would/will support their opinion on which one to use and why ... I remember being a kid there was a "system" that used a roll of toilet paper in a canister to supplement the existing oil filter ... They had significant problems with circulation ... Does anyone remember a time when an oil filter was an option on vehicles? :<(

The following users liked this post:
skypeace (04-26-2019)
Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,411 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Oil filters have came a long way over the years ... I'm sure that many here can sight examples that would/will support their opinion on which one to use and why ... I remember being a kid there was a "system" that used a roll of toilet paper in a canister to supplement the existing oil filter ... They had significant problems with circulation ... Does anyone remember a time when an oil filter was an option on vehicles? :<(
A J.C. Whitney special...

Uncle Larry (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:41 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Volkswagen engines just had a crude oil strainer, no filter. I remember those Frantz TP filters and the "superchargers" you could put on your VW. I did plumb an external conventional filter when I rebuilt the motor on my '71 van.

John

Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
No but i remember when the gas stations and even i think the dealers recommended changing the filter every other oil change.

That was before the Fram Pay me now or pay me later campaign.

Of course being **** from a very early age, i changed my own and always the filter every 2500 miles.

skypeace (04-26-2019)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:03 PM
monckywrench
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

I remember being a kid there was a "system" that used a roll of toilet paper in a canister to supplement the existing oil filter ... They had significant problems with circulation ... Does anyone remember a time when an oil filter was an option on vehicles? :<(
Those Frantz/Motorguard style filters are outstanding at keeping nasties from your shop air out of your plasma cutter but I'd not run them as an oil filter with a TP roll element. (Correct elements are available for that purpose). Oil filters were optional but that was because manufacturers would do anything to cut production cost. It was also the era of cars with ~100K miles being routinely scrapped because they weren't worth repairing. Not everything from the "good old days" was good in functional terms.

Uncle Larry (11-23-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts
Default DK props

Originally Posted by apache snow
You sell then. What did we think you would say. LOL
Not so fast sir. Over the years DK has always offered information about their products on these threads when asked to. They'll also post independent information so we can judge another's perspective, not just theirs. They don't come here pimping their stuff and start spewing a bunch of BS. I don't own any of their products yet, but I appreciate the info they share and the way conduct themselves here. They also contribute with comments and stories that make this place better.

The following 4 users liked this post by MikeBel:
Cotten (02-13-2021), DK Custom (11-25-2018), FranBunnyFFXII (12-06-2021), skypeace (04-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Reusable oil filters: gimmick, or. . . ?