Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also i got it to turn over as i jumped it but i heard a pop and the engine stopped

Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Valinsky
bought a new battery wont turn over still it wants to but it struggles. Check the spark plugs they seem fine not even a couple Months old. They do have black on the ends... it had a high idle problem so i took the intake mainfold and reinstalled to fix it. Fixed the high idle and Thats when my problems started to happen. What else can i check os. I checked the new battery just now and i realized that When I tried to turn it over the voltage dropped to 11.9 volts what could cause this significan drop
Read the last line in post 8 but add "When cranking, the battery voltage of a good battery should NOT drop below 9.6. If it does, the battery needs replaced." Sorry

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-14-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Read the last line in post 8
i replaced it but still wont turn over

Old 11-14-2018, 03:56 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

What is the battery voltage without draw i.e key turned off?

If you have a battery tender, charge your battery until it is fully charged. Hard to assess if you do not have a fully charged battery. Some new batteries are not fully charged when you get them....had that happen to me and a friend. My friends bike was new too and he couldn't get it to start. You can then test your VR/Stator when the battery is fully charged.

Popping could indicate an intake/exhaust leak but would lean towards an intake leak since you fussed with the manifold.

How did you test spark....did you pull each plug from the cylinder one at a time, reinsert plug into the spark plug wire, touch the plug on a ground source like the heads, then turn the motor....you should see spark on the plugs. Caution when doing this be sure to cover the plug holes because you don't want fuel shooting out while you are testing spark.

Last edited by hscic; 11-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 PM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hscic
What is the battery voltage without draw i.e key turned off?

If you have a battery tender, charge your battery until it is fully charged. Hard to assess if you do not have a fully charged battery. Some new batteries are not fully charged when you get them....had that happen to me and a friend. My friends bike was new too and he couldn't get it to start. You can then test your VR/Stator when the battery is fully charged.

Popping could indicate an intake/exhaust leak but would lean towards an intake leak since you fussed with the manifold.

How did you test spark....did you pull each plug from the cylinder one at a time, reinsert plug into the spark plug wire, touch the plug on a ground source like the heads, then turn the motor....you should see spark on the plugs. Caution when doing this be sure to cover the plug holes because you don't want fuel shooting out while you are testing spark.
spark is good checked it that way. Battery fully charged. Compression at front 180 rear 210 checked fuel line by dissconecting fuel line and the connection that goes to the mainfold good steady stream came out. What do i check next? Trying to upload a video but cant or audio

Last edited by Matthew Valinsky; 11-14-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Sorry did you say it turns over or it does not turn over?

Did you check the fuses and relays as suggested by Shanneba in post 4?

Another fuel check.....take off the air cleaner, turn on the key, and check if you see fuel shooting into the throttle body when twisting the throttle? If not, try shooting carb cleaner while starting to see if it starts.

Again, process of elimination.....but answer to the first question will kind of determine where to focus so you do not bark up the wrong tree..

Old 11-14-2018, 11:58 PM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

You have spark, fuel pump working compression. Check the injectors. I'm guessing that or low fuel pressure.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:18 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

A 2009 Sportster should be EFI and you will not see any fuel sprayed in the throttle body when twisting the throttle.
Seeing fuel come out of the line makes me wonder if maybe it was converted back to a carb.
The EFI fuel line has a check valve and fuel does not normally flow when it is disconnected.

Does your fuel line have a quick disconnect at the gas tank?

https://www.baggersmag.com/sites/bag...RGu1W&fc=50,50

EFI uses an increase in the fuel injector pulse width instead of an acceleration pump in a carbed bike.

Last edited by shanneba; 11-15-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shanneba
A 2009 Sportster should be EFI and you will not see any fuel sprayed in the throttle body when twisting the throttle.
Seeing fuel come out of the line makes me wonder if maybe it was converted back to a carb.
The EFI fuel line has a check valve and fuel does not normally flow when it is disconnected.

Does your fuel line have a quick disconnect at the gas tank?

https://www.baggersmag.com/sites/bag...RGu1W&fc=50,50

EFI uses an increase in the fuel injector pulse width instead of an acceleration pump in a carbed bike.
yes it does its the exact same one in the picture ill checked the fuses all good put some throttle body cleaner inside didnt start

Last edited by Matthew Valinsky; 11-15-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vonh12
You have spark, fuel pump working compression. Check the injectors. I'm guessing that or low fuel pressure.
how do i check the injectors? Loss fuel pressure equal bad fuel pump?

Last edited by Matthew Valinsky; 11-15-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about voltage regulator