Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Iron 1200- should there be a rubber gasket here

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:48 AM
daisy cutter
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2018 Iron 1200- should there be a rubber gasket here

Bought a 2018 Iron 1200 last week from Redstone Harley in Madison Alabama. When I got home as I was checking the bike out I pulled the side cover off that covers the fuses and battery and noticed that my main fuse was missing its cover. I went back and got a cover. That was an ordeal. The guy at the service department told me he'd have to order one even though there were about 12 bikes on the showroom floor that had the part that my bike should have left with. After a conversation with my salesman (great guy) a cover was pulled off another bike and I was on my way. Well I didn't think much about it after that until yesterday when I was back in the fuse panel straightening some wires and for whatever reason I pulled the cap of of the main fuse. Well turns out the jack leg (service dept guy) put it on backwards and bet the 3 fuses. I'm not sure how even managed it because the cap is made to only go on 1 way. My question is should there be a rubber gasket or oring for a lack of better term on this connector? Anyone out there with a newer sportster care to check theirs and let me know? Redsone is closed today or I'd go over and start pulling side covers off their bikes.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 954 Likes on 657 Posts

Indeed, there must be a rubber seal, usually a red one.

Will take a picture ....

Old 11-19-2018, 08:33 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Here you go...

Old 11-19-2018, 08:57 AM
daisy cutter
Advanced

Yep that's what I thought. Another reason I hate the service department.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:05 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Here's the part # for the seal. It's part of a loose parts package that comes with the bike from the factory. The package includes fobs, keys, owners manual, etc. The tech that originally prepped your bike for the sales floor dropped the ball. Prep fees suck, and in your case, they suck even more.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

The Stealership probably charged you extra to NOT install the gasket/seal; it makes your bike special and then they get to charge the MoCo extra for fixing what they screwed up. They save time, make a few extra dollars all the while you are inconvenienced.

It's probably not that devious but the sloppy, rush-it-out-the-door customer (non) care is the norm at most Stealerships.

When I bought my new Road Glide I explained to the dealer more than once that I was coming from 500 miles away (on my Road King) and wanted them to go over the bike extra carefully because once I pay for it - I've got a 500 mile day ahead of me with lots of traffic on I-95 in order to get back home. I also asked that they get all of the paperwork ready so that this cash/no-trade deal can happen quickly and smoothly.

I get there and notice a ding in one of the hard saddlebags. The salesman looks at it like he's never seen a ding or a saddlebag before. 15 minutes goes by and the sales manager comes over; I explained to him that I asked for the bike to be checked over "extra good." His reply was that it must have just happened. That's odd seeing as I was there before the dealership opened and was the first and only customer there. My bike was already in their Winner's Circle or whatever other nonsense they call the pace where fresh kill is celebrated. They realized after some time what I realized int he first two seconds ... it won't buff out. While they were changing the saddlebag to a bike that they very well may stick another customer with, then the service guy comes out and looks at it - they have a corporate strategy meeting I asked if I could get going on the paperwork, pay and get going while they swap out the saddlebag!!! They say that they have to figure out what they are going to do. I say, your going to swap out the saddlebag or sell this bike to someone else.

Well, over an hour and half later I was finally on the road - two hours or more after arriving at the place. The salesman reminded me to put five stars down on the survey I would be getting. I did not lie to him; I said that I would keep a lookout for the survey. When I got it, I was kind to him - I did not answer the survey.

My experience over many bikes and many years is that once they hook and book you - they couldn't care less if you lived or died. I've been a Harley guy for so long that I'm kinda used to the treatment - not liking it much, just have very low expectations to avoid disappointment.

Good on you and HD Forums for catching your missing rubber seal.

Last edited by Jehu; 11-19-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:10 PM
daisy cutter
Advanced

I've become used to this too and almost expect it. I hate to be that guy bitching about something so small but I paid for it so it better be on the bike. I will be the guy bitching about it in the morning when they open. If it takes them as long as it did to give me the plug's cap off of another bike I'll probably be headed to the nearest Triumph dealer and be done with any new Harley.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:54 AM
daisy cutter
Advanced

Got the seal today.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:46 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Nice to read it is oke now