Notices
Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines FP3.....

 
  #1  
Old 12-04-2018, 04:03 AM
JWCFatboy
JWCFatboy is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: RSA
Posts: 156
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Vance & Hines FP3.....

I had two Sportsters in the past... a 2005 883 and a year later the 1200. A week ago I bought a 2016 Forty Eight with only 3000 miles on the clock. I have forgotten the rubber mounted, shaking Evo engine.... also riding a Fatboy, it is now "getting used to the vibrations..." again 😃. The bike came with black V&H short shots pipes, a breather and the FP3 tuner from V&H. The FP3 tuner is really a cool piece of tech. I however do not find a good tutorial on the settings of the FP3 - lots of "how to install and auto tune" but no real user guide. Anyone that knows where to find it? I do not even see it on the V&H website..

When riding the Forty Eight it pulls very strong ( I was pleasantly surprised!! ) - the issue is when I am cruising in traffic in 2nd/3rd gear 1600- 1800 rpm the motor does not feel super smooth - there is a tiny bit of erratic ride, like a bit of hunting - the motor sounding like it has a slight misfire, or that is what I hear....

Maybe this how the Sportsters are?? I'd like to hear from you how smooth yours is in slow riding and lower revs before I delve deeper....

Regards.
 

Last edited by JWCFatboy; 12-04-2018 at 04:05 AM.
  #2  
Old 12-04-2018, 04:46 AM
firehawk6's Avatar
firehawk6
firehawk6 is online now
Road Warrior
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,648
Received 575 Likes on 339 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JWCFatboy View Post
I had two Sportsters in the past... a 2005 883 and a year later the 1200. A week ago I bought a 2016 Forty Eight with only 3000 miles on the clock. I have forgotten the rubber mounted, shaking Evo engine.... also riding a Fatboy, it is now "getting used to the vibrations..." again ��. The bike came with black V&H short shots pipes, a breather and the FP3 tuner from V&H. The FP3 tuner is really a cool piece of tech. I however do not find a good tutorial on the settings of the FP3 - lots of "how to install and auto tune" but no real user guide. Anyone that knows where to find it? I do not even see it on the V&H website..

When riding the Forty Eight it pulls very strong ( I was pleasantly surprised!! ) - the issue is when I am cruising in traffic in 2nd/3rd gear 1600- 1800 rpm the motor does not feel super smooth - there is a tiny bit of erratic ride, like a bit of hunting - the motor sounding like it has a slight misfire, or that is what I hear....

Maybe this how the Sportsters are?? I'd like to hear from you how smooth yours is in slow riding and lower revs before I delve deeper....

Regards.
I've got Rush slipons and a Screaming Eagle Stage 1 air cleaner on my '17. I reflashed it with the FP3, and it's dead smooth no matter what rpm I'm running. Sounds like maybe a lean condition in the 1800-2000 rpm range. I'm no expert though...

There is no manual for the FP3 from V&H, you might try reflashing the ECM again. I've never ran the Autotune on mine, several here have had problems using that feature. Mine runs so well I'm leaving it alone.
 

Last edited by firehawk6; 12-04-2018 at 04:49 AM.
  #3  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 AM
Andy from Sandy
Andy from Sandy is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: .
Posts: 1,202
Received 119 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

There is a demo mode in the 'phone app that will allow you to see pretty much all the FP3 can do.
I think my 2017 is much the same as yours but I wouldn't expect much from the engine in 3rd at less than 2000 to 2500rpm. If I am wrong then I would sure like to get my bike sorted to run at those low engine speeds in 3rd gear.
At 1600 you are not much over a fast tickover and at that engine speed I think I would still be running in 1st.
 

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 12-04-2018 at 06:15 AM.
  #4  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:10 AM
JWCFatboy
JWCFatboy is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: RSA
Posts: 156
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Thanks! Is it possible to share your map so that I can try that (share via the app?) Just asking.... I've tried leaner, richer, flashed a few times... Regards
 
  #5  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:12 AM
JWCFatboy
JWCFatboy is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: RSA
Posts: 156
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
There is a demo mode in the 'phone app that will allow you to see pretty much all the FP3 can do.
I think my 2017 is much the same as yours but I wouldn't expect much from the engine in 3rd at less than 2000 to 2500rpm. If I am wrong then I would sure like to get my bike sorted to run at those low engine speeds in 3rd gear.
At 1600 you are not much over a fast tickover and at that engine speed I think I would still be running in 1st.
Thanks! I'll check it out. 2nd gear at 1700 rpm... should be smooth?? Regards.
 
  #6  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM
FXDF Whiskey Throttle's Avatar
FXDF Whiskey Throttle
FXDF Whiskey Throttle is offline
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Delaware
Posts: 51
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

While your bike is connected to your phone upload your current map to support.
Give a description of your trouble spot. They'll examine your map, alter it, and send it back to you.

"View Edit Maps"/ Long press on your current map (it will be blue) / hit the icon that looks like a C with a speaker / hit upload.

Then you push a button to call V&H and it will show you a reference number to give the rep. You can also email them.

Once CS has updated your map you hit "Download" to download the revised map from V&H.'

AFAIK, the V&H FP3 support center is in Cali.
 

Last edited by FXDF Whiskey Throttle; 12-04-2018 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vanceandhines (12-05-2018)
  #7  
Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Andy from Sandy
Andy from Sandy is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: .
Posts: 1,202
Received 119 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

The maps are stored on the V&H server not on your phone so I don't think they can be shared.
I haven't played with any other map but the one I loaded that seemed closest to the Khrome Werks mufflers and SE air cleaner I have on my bike. I don't even know for example if a map for a pipe with baffles runs leaner or richer if run with pipes with no baffles.
 
The following users liked this post:
JWCFatboy (12-04-2018)
  #8  
Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM
tmac00333's Avatar
tmac00333
tmac00333 is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,651
Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

I always try to keep mine above 2,000 RPM no matter the speed
 
The following users liked this post:
bamboozer (06-01-2019)
  #9  
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 AM
misput
misput is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: St. Louis Mo.
Posts: 473
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Thank you, make mine pre 2007!!! : )
 
  #10  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 PM
JWCFatboy
JWCFatboy is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: RSA
Posts: 156
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FXDF Whiskey Throttle View Post
While your bike is connected to your phone upload your current map to support.
Give a description of your trouble spot. They'll examine your map, alter it, and send it back to you.

"View Edit Maps"/ Long press on your current map (it will be blue) / hit the icon that looks like a C with a speaker / hit upload.

Then you push a button to call V&H and it will show you a reference number to give the rep. You can also email them.

Once CS has updated your map you hit "Download" to download the revised map from V&H.'

AFAIK, the V&H FP3 support center is in Cali.
Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised tonight (other side of the world here!) to get a mail from V&H asking for the upload.... They will tweak and send it back. I hope to see a great improvement! Regards.

 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: