Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door/gate opener

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:17 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I used sticky backed velcro to attach one of these 3 button keychain size remotes to the top of my master cylinder cover, easy to pop off if you want but stays on securely and only cost 30 bucks.
I have it set so two of the buttons open either garage door and the third unlocks the digital deadbolt on the front door.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Thats cool. One of our problems is we are getting an ever increasing number of vehicles being stolen from and broken into, even at places like In and Out Burger. Cars with windos busted out, and this is no slo business place. It is always busy there and it happens in broad daylight, so I am not leaving anything out that can be easily seen and taken. Its druggies and homeless that are getting caught doing it. These people will steal ANYTHING that looks like it will get them a dollar.

Keep at it CA, great job. Stats tell us we have 2/3 of the nations entire homeless population here.

Rant over, just lettin ya know why I want nothing that might look like an easy steal.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:30 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

I only need one button (for garage door), so I added a momentary switch
to the guage mount, solidered a wire to a mini-remote thats hiding in the
battery compartment. Works well for me....

T.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:32 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea the gate opener is the kicker in my case. It is a dip switch type and the garage doors are the rolling codes. Not many opener remotes will do both. I was pleasantly surprised when the Homelink did.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:35 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Harper
I told you that a ramp would come in handy, and here we are.

John
LOL It's starting to look more inviting. Maybe I could have my neighbor pull his flatbed truck up to the fence for a landing platform. Probably having an ambulance there would make more sense.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:10 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok got my homelink device off ebay, and figured out the wiring for it.

I do have one disappointment though and that is it LOOKS like it will be more complicated than I thought, at least I think so. My electronic knowledge is very limited. The push button switches seem to have several legs on each side and not knowing what they do I am leery of trying to solder my leads onto them.

I may just end up finding a way to mount it in an accessible spot where I can access the buttons. Of course I will have to make sure the case is sealed against the elements.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:17 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is the inside, incase someone can show me an easy way to solder leads on them.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:14 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Maybe this video will help identify where to solder your switch leads? Good luck, and keep us updated.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:13 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Ha perfect. Will try to look closer at it tomorrow. Dental and Dr appointments and of course shopping to do. It IS that time of year. Thanks barnboy, will do.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well the saga continues. I had it in the house still so I took a look at the back side. Found out there are two layers, and the back of those switches are in between the layers, of course.

The board is sideways in this pic and the switches are in a verticle row along the right edge. There are a couple of solder "dots" behind each one and I hoped that was where I could solder, but no such thing.

I did find out looking at THIS pic at a closeup of a single switch, you see there are 2 connections at one end and 3 on the other.

I found out through trial and error, that the lower right corner connects to the upper left corner, when the switch is closed. The two right connections are joined, and the corners of the left side are joined.

I wondered if I can connect one pair diagonally through the handlebar switch. But I am not sure if I need to connect both pairs, and if so, can I gang them, or would I possibly short something if I did. If I don't gang them and have to do both, it would require a complex switch on the bars.

Almost as many questions as when I started. The pics inserted out of order but you can figure out which ones I am talking about. Doing this on an ipad can be a PITA.

Last edited by handirifle; 12-16-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Garage door/gate opener