Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 1200 Sportster--Slip-on Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 09:22 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by hammer6315
2012 1200 custom: I added Rush slip-ons, and made them quieter, & tuned with my Dyno Jet Power Vision & things are fine.
I added Rush slip-ons to my 2012 Custom, but didn't need to tune. I have a Power Vision, but it's engaged - not married - to my Fatboy S. I might end up tuning with my PV, but I'd have to buy a $200 license.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:24 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Well if things go to plan I’ll be getting rid of my 3” rushes both with the 1.75 and 1.5 baffles.
~ 300 miles on the pipes total with about 200 ish on the 1.75’s and about 75 miles on the 1.5’s.

Are they the 158’s in the picture?

Wiz 🥃
Why, too loud? Good sounding good performing muffs IMO.

Yes 158W TTI's from DK Customs. The 258W quieted down the pipes too much for my liking.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:28 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Well if things go to plan I’ll be getting rid of my 3” rushes both with the 1.75 and 1.5 baffles.
~ 300 miles on the pipes total with about 200 ish on the 1.75’s and about 75 miles on the 1.5’s.

Are they the 158’s in the picture?

Wiz ��

wait...didn't I just read your thread about you getting rid of your sporty because of a battery issue with the dealership? Did you change your mind?

A friend of mine had the same kind of issue...bad battery on a new bike but the dealership said it has to stay on the bike to be covered under warranty, but said they can't tow it because they don't have the resources (manpower) to pick it up. what is one to do...new bike that hasn't been ridden in months.

For me, I had warranty on my 2011 but I upgraded everything except the motor and trans since I did not want to void that part of the warranty. I sold the Sporty only because I wanted a Classic Harley...I sometimes regret that decision. IMHO it's not the bike that's faulty, it's the dealership...don't get rid of the bike, get rid of the dealership... of course, not all dealerships are alike. .I feel for you.

LAS VEGAS JIM - sorry did not mean to hijack your thread. Hope you find the pipes of your liking. Here is a thread I created a while back just to help those looking for an exhaust system like you....at least with respect to looks and sound..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nd-videos.html

Last edited by hscic; 12-31-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,731 Likes on 2,397 Posts

...but I also used DK Customs 158W TTI's to reduce reversion
Did you do dyno runs to see the difference the TTIs made?

I can't help thinking as this thread keeps bubbling to the top that there is a very large market of pipes that ruin the performance of the engine and DK have swooped in to save the day.

I am no expert and can only go by what I see and read.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
wait...didn't I just read your thread about you getting rid of your sporty because of a battery issue with the dealership? Did you change your mind?

A friend of mine had the same kind of issue...bad battery on a new bike but the dealership said it has to stay on the bike to be covered under warranty, but said they can't tow it because they don't have the resources (manpower) to pick it up. what is one to do...new bike that hasn't been ridden in months.

For me, I had warranty on my 2011 but I upgraded everything except the motor and trans since I did not want to void that part of the warranty. I sold the Sporty only because I wanted a Classic Harley...I sometimes regret that decision. IMHO it's not the bike that's faulty, it's the dealership...don't get rid of the bike, get rid of the dealership... of course, not all dealerships are alike. .I feel for you.

LAS VEGAS JIM - sorry did not mean to hijack your thread. Hope you find the pipes of your liking. Here is a thread I created a while back just to help those looking for an exhaust system like you....at least with respect to looks and sound..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nd-videos.html
“ Wait...didn't I just read your thread about you getting rid of your sporty because of a battery issue with the dealership? Did you change your mind? “

Yeah you did , was going to dump the rushs as I’ll use the stocker’s. My wife was saying the same thing, And calming down abit I think she’s right dumping the dealer and find someone in the area that has more customer service in mind rather the ***** I’m dealing with , She even said she’ll buy me a new battery she likes the bike that much , It just pisses me off the issues I’ve had with a brand new bike that’s not bloody 2 years old and the hoops you have to jump through just to get something fixed.
I brought the Harley cos of the coverage across the states and if I did have an issue, the dealership base is far and wide.

Soz for the hijack, just replying to a question .

Cheer to all. Happy new year 🎈🎊🎆

Wiz 🥳

The following users liked this post:
hscic (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 08:45 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,731 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Over here there has been quite a number of new and newish Sportsters with stator wire problems. It rubs on the crankcase and in the first instance it will be an intermittent connection until the wire rubs completely through.

Yes it looks like the battery is faulty but it is not being charged properly whilst the bike is running.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 12-31-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy

I can't help thinking as this thread keeps bubbling to the top that there is a very large market of pipes that ruin the performance of the engine and DK have swooped in to save the day.

Yes but not to test the TTIs. I wanted to compare my powervision tune versus a dyno tune both with TTI's. I used the top two lead techs at the dealership to do the dyno. To the OP, here is a thread I create which will give you some info of what the Powervision can provide with respect to a good tune.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...no-tables.html

TTI's were butt dyno'd. I've tested (butt dyno'd) all three sizes on these muffs including with no TTIs.. The 158 gave me the best results with respect to sound and performance (low-mid range torque and smoother thru the powerband). The 118W did nothing for the bike...too small. The 258W as stated quieted down the bike more than I like...I also could not turn/angle the TTI's enough to open it up (it hit the baffles).

WIZ - DK Customs I believe has the 258Q the quiet version of the 258W. Not sure what the different is...perhaps Kevin the K in DK can pipe in, but the 258W did quiet down the Rush alot IMO...perhaps the Q will do so even more. The Rush slip-ons are awesome. I would install them in a heartbeat on my shovelhead, but Rush does not manufacturer or offer products older than 86.....a waste to dump them.

Last edited by hscic; 12-31-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:36 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

A friend recommended that I look at Cobra 3" RPT Slip On mufflers (Part #6081). Does anyone have any experience with this muffler or Cobras in general?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:11 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy

“I can't help thinking as this thread keeps bubbling to the top that there is a very large market of pipes that ruin the performance of the engine “

Its not so much runing the performance of the engine, It’s more moving the power curve up the rev range so the engine performs better in the mid to upper revs rather than the low down toque a Harley’s renowned for.

Wiz 🎊

The following users liked this post:
Andy from Sandy (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 AM
LithiumZero
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
A friend recommended that I look at Cobra 3" RPT Slip On mufflers (Part #6081). Does anyone have any experience with this muffler or Cobras in general?
I run the 3” slash cut Cobras on my 48. Love the low note of them. A really high quality product at a great price. I’d buy them again

Quick Reply: 2017 1200 Sportster--Slip-on Muffler