Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New years bike.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 09:58 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well I’m going to bite the bullet and kick my Piece Of **** 17 sporty to the curb, Had enough of mother ship HD and the crap you have to deal with “Just “ to get a ****in new battery under warranty.

Looking at a new Kawasaki right now.

Thing is it’s not going to **** oil. Rattle. Sump all at @ 110 hp stock.

Wiz is Happy 🍦
Hope you're going to be happy.... I understand where u come from....

Old 12-30-2018, 12:49 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Wizardofaus good luck with your ride. At least you are still riding. I own a sporty custom and Kawasaki vaquero and love them both. Ride on

Old 12-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Good luck on your new ride, knees in the breeze is all that matters...

Old 12-30-2018, 11:48 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
The 1st World problems we have to deal with... Even if YOU had to pay for a new battery, isn't that cheaper AND less hassle than buying a new bike?

Enjoy the new Kawasaki.
Yeah but what’s the point of a warranty if it’s not honored, and I’d hate to think if I had 1/2 the problems the M8 guys have been having.

This company would have to have the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced in the 46 years of dealing with any of the brands.

Just hope I can get a half decent trade.

Wiz 🥃

Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I just came up on 28 years of happy ownership of my 1991 883 Sportster. Never had a serious issue whatsoever, and she rides much better today that when I picked her up. I ride for enjoyment, got the street racing out of my system before I bought her, so you have to expect what a Sportster is as a motorcycle. Now, it's like taking out a vintage classic for a ride. Enjoy your new Kawasaki, I'll still give the "low" wave if I see you!

John
Hey thanks man 👈

Wiz 🥃

Old 12-31-2018, 11:51 AM
halfmt1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

A lot of times it seems the dealers ruin the experience for people, and that's a shame. I've had friends that dealt with some that were real hacks. I am fortunate enough to not have to deal with them, once they get me the bike, they never see it again.
Have fun on that new bike.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:29 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

So what Kawasaki are you going with? And what 2017 sportster are you trading? Just wondering, I can say if the battery is the only reason you are upset, I would rethink the trade. Depending on the first 2 questions. The sportster is probably as good as any bike made for being dependable and inexpensive to maintane... if you don't go trying to make it into a drag bike that is.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:15 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

As mentioned in the other thread....don't get rid of the sporty, get rid of the dealership. Perhaps find another dealership in reasonable distance or an independent that will honor the warranty.....not all dealerships are alike. For me, I do not use the dealership since they no longer have the technical expertise to work on older bikes......they refuse to take my bike except for safety.check even for a tire change.

You can also DIY. Test the battery, the rectifier, and stator..,,,make sure battery if fully charged when testing. If battery is no good, replace then test if the rectifier/stator is charging the battery properly.....then ride on.

Last edited by hscic; 12-31-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:30 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Just for the record Wizardofaus, I've had simple claims on my Kawi. Warped front rotors, a known issues in the forums. First time they were replaced around 9k miles. Not horribly warped, but a vibration applying the brakes at highway speeds. No death wobble, but a felt vibration. Replaced, no questions asked. 8k miles later, same thing. Mother Kaw wanted to know if I had replaced the front pads and if I was abusing the brakes. I wasn't. Still the original pads, no track days, just easy riding. Replaced rotors and new pads under warranty, we are sorry for your trouble.

The known fix is to upgrade to ZX-14 rotors (slightly thicker). I even offered to pay the difference for the upgrade. Had a battery replaced under warranty as well. TPMS batteries don't work when its cold out until I get a few miles on the tires, dealer said they would replace those when I am ready.

I chalk this up to a great dealer (Lake City Honda/Kawasaki, Warsaw, IN) as much as anything, but I've never been hassled. Owner knows me when I walk in and goes out of their way to make me happy. Metric shops don't throw test rides like candy the way HD does, but my shop takes care of me.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,027 Likes on 871 Posts

Wow. I'd just give up riding dude. Dang batteries anyway.

Quick Reply: New years bike.