Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Energy One extra plate kit (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1267146-energy-one-extra-plate-kit.html)

mrhammer2u 01-11-2019 08:42 AM

Energy One extra plate kit

I installed this about a year ago. Def rips you through the gears with more authority. However I either have to launch hard or feather lightly. In between I get a bit of a chatter that I feel and hear. I don't think this is unique to me as I've read others make similar claims. The install was straight forward and I used the oil E1 recommended. Clutch was adjusted at both points.

Waiting for E1 to get back to me. In meantime wanted to see if anyone else has had this and what the cure was?

apache snow 01-11-2019 09:27 AM

The cure for me was to go to a Barnett clutch. No squeal on take off. Works great.

DK Custom 01-11-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u (Post 17952015)
I installed this about a year ago. Def rips you through the gears with more authority. However I either have to launch hard or feather lightly. In between I get a bit of a chatter that I feel and hear. I don't think this is unique to me as I've read others make similar claims. The install was straight forward and I used the oil E1 recommended. Clutch was adjusted at both points.

Waiting for E1 to get back to me. In meantime wanted to see if anyone else has had this and what the cure was?

I had the same experience, and did some additional adjustments. Also changed to syn3. These two things got rid of all the chatter.

It is still a very strong engagement, much more than stock, but I like that it is not mushy at all.

mrhammer2u 01-11-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by apache snow (Post 17952149)
The cure for me was to go to a Barnett clutch. No squeal on take off. Works great.

Yes,..that's the word I was looking for. Squeal. Thanks! Will try DK's suggestion before bailing on E1 tho.

Originally Posted by DK Custom (Post 17952405)
I had the same experience, and did some additional adjustments. Also changed to syn3. These two things got rid of all the chatter.

It is still a very strong engagement, much more than stock, but I like that it is not mushy at all.

Additional adjustments on the cable?
Maybe I'll try Syn3. I used Red Line 75/90. I called E1 and asked if this oil was ok and they said it was.

Thanks!!

apache snow 01-11-2019 01:05 PM

I use Red Line 75W90 GL5 gear oil. The Energy one made the squeal on take off with the Red Line. The Barnett clutch does not. The Energy One worked just fine with the exception of the squeal. I just got tired of it. I like the Red Line really well. Neutral is really easy to hit and the clutch locks up better than with SN3. Good luck with yours. Many drag racers use the Energy One with no problems.

DK Custom 01-11-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u (Post 17952504)
Yes,..that's the word I was looking for. Squeal. Thanks! Will try DK's suggestion before bailing on E1 tho.

Additional adjustments on the cable?
Maybe I'll try Syn3. I used Red Line 75/90. I called E1 and asked if this oil was ok and they said it was.

Thanks!!

Mine never squealed. Only fluid I've used is the syn3 and the HD primary.

Multiple adjustments were made from the primary forward. Unfortunately clutch adjustment on a Sporty is not a science...some have a better feel for it than me...it sometimes takes me a few goes to get it where I like...and as you've discovered the E1 is even more sensitive.

I love the positive engagement though. :)

Tileman2692 01-11-2019 02:05 PM

I run an Energy in my XL1200. Manufacture states not to use synthetic oil. So be sureits not synthetic, and don't over fill

WKNDS 01-11-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tileman2692 (Post 17952864)
I run an Energy in my XL1200. Manufacture states not to use synthetic oil. So be sure its not synthetic, and don't over fill

Yep - in BOLD print....
https://www.energyoneclutches.com/clutchinfo/BT11.pdf

T.

apache snow 01-11-2019 03:12 PM

I would never give up using Red Line 75W90 gear oil just to run an Energy one clutch, but that's just me.

mrhammer2u 01-11-2019 04:12 PM

I did see the no syn instructions. However I did call and ask specifically about my red line, which is syn, and they said it was fine. Maybe the person who answered did not know that? STILL,..waiting on them to write me back. Guess I gotta pick up the ole talking thing-a-magiggy. I'll update soon as I hear.