Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential move from a Triumph Bobber, need some advice..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 PM
bobberfettandco
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential move from a Triumph Bobber, need some advice..

Hi all,

I'm Matt, 26 and from Cambridgeshire in the UK. I'm new to the forum and currently in a bit of a dilemma, and thought I'd join up on here and seek some advice..

I currently have a Triumph Bobber Black and I love it. However, there are little things that just don't cut it.. I've always been a fan of Harley's, and the biggest thing for me, is customisation. I love the Sportster range, the 48 especially, and I know accessories wise, there are thousands of options out there. The Triumph Bobber is very limited.. My other half is expecting our first child in May, so once the little dude is out, the misses will want to ride, so being able to have the ability to carry a pillion will be great. Nothing out there is as warming for me, as the sweet idle of a Harley, a sound I only wish my Bobber could replicate, but a parallel twin doesn't have that tone sadly. There are other things but I won't bore you.

I can't test ride until March at my HD dealership, as they don't have demos available this time of year. I just wondered whether any of you guys and gals have experience of moving from a Triumph Bobber, or any Triumph from the Bonneville range, for that matter, over to HD? I'm on the fence with part exchanging, any tips or pointers, would be great to know. How are people finding the build quality on their Sportsters?

Cheers,

Matt

Old 01-15-2019, 08:42 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by bobberfettandco
Hi all,

I'm Matt, 26 and from Cambridgeshire in the UK. I'm new to the forum and currently in a bit of a dilemma, and thought I'd join up on here and seek some advice..

I currently have a Triumph Bobber Black and I love it. However, there are little things that just don't cut it.. I've always been a fan of Harley's, and the biggest thing for me, is customisation. I love the Sportster range, the 48 especially, and I know accessories wise, there are thousands of options out there. The Triumph Bobber is very limited.. My other half is expecting our first child in May, so once the little dude is out, the misses will want to ride, so being able to have the ability to carry a pillion will be great. Nothing out there is as warming for me, as the sweet idle of a Harley, a sound I only wish my Bobber could replicate, but a parallel twin doesn't have that tone sadly. There are other things but I won't bore you.

I can't test ride until March at my HD dealership, as they don't have demos available this time of year. I just wondered whether any of you guys and gals have experience of moving from a Triumph Bobber, or any Triumph from the Bonneville range, for that matter, over to HD? I'm on the fence with part exchanging, any tips or pointers, would be great to know. How are people finding the build quality on their Sportsters?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt!

I know it's not the same...but somewhat close...I had a Norton Commando 750. I also have a 48. I really, REALLY liked the Norton, but if I had to choose between the two it would be the 48.

Like you've noticed, the Sportster is a great blank canvas for you to do anything with it that you'd like. The Sportster is the most bullet-proof of all HD models. I have 3 of them and have had no quality issues with any of them.

Here's a pic of the 48, and below that a video that you may find interesting.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
bobberfettandco (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 PM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a 2012 Speedmaster parked alongside my Iron for a couple of years. Originally bought the Speedmaster for my wife when she started riding (not the greatest choice of bike for a very nervous new rider). After a couple of months she gave up and the Speedy became my bike. There were a lot of things I absolutely loved about the Speedmaster, but after about a year I ended up selling it for some of the reasons you mentioned. Compared to my Sportster, the aftermarket support for the Speedmaster was almost nonexistent. While the Speedy sounded great with the British Customs Bombers on it, it just wasn't the feeling I got from the sound of my Sportster. The biggest pull for me with the Sportster is that is a blank canvas with endless possibilities to customize.

Take a look at DK Customs website. I've used the reports and information there numerous times and purchased quite a few parts from them as well. Extremely knowledgeable staff and outstanding customer service.

Here's the Speedmaster that I sold.

Last edited by waterfordhunter; 01-15-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Add picture
The following 2 users liked this post by waterfordhunter:
bobberfettandco (01-15-2019), DK Custom (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Matt
I’m in the UK too, you will not regret the switch to a Forty Eight - here’s a link to a very short video of mine that might well convince you - just given it a winter service & wash.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi Matt, from the County next door! You can't be so very far from Black Bear H-D in Newmarket, my personal favourite dealer, who I've known since they first opened. It's well worth visiting them to see Sporties in general, but they are due to open new premises very soon, so do check their website for their move date.

As for riding 2-up, we have a number of members who do it, also some good threads on touring on a Sporty, which you may well find interesting and helpful. Do spend some time browsing around in here.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:32 PM
bobberfettandco
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Hi Matt!

I know it's not the same...but somewhat close...I had a Norton Commando 750. I also have a 48. I really, REALLY liked the Norton, but if I had to choose between the two it would be the 48.

Like you've noticed, the Sportster is a great blank canvas for you to do anything with it that you'd like. The Sportster is the most bullet-proof of all HD models. I have 3 of them and have had no quality issues with any of them.

Here's a pic of the 48, and below that a video that you may find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzC-pQWfHFo
Appreciate the feedback man, this is good to know. That's a nice build with that Sporty! Well done.

Originally Posted by waterfordhunter
I had a 2012 Speedmaster parked alongside my Iron for a couple of years. Originally bought the Speedmaster for my wife when she started riding (not the greatest choice of bike for a very nervous new rider). After a couple of months she gave up and the Speedy became my bike. There were a lot of things I absolutely loved about the Speedmaster, but after about a year I ended up selling it for some of the reasons you mentioned. Compared to my Sportster, the aftermarket support for the Speedmaster was almost nonexistent. While the Speedy sounded great with the British Customs Bombers on it, it just wasn't the feeling I got from the sound of my Sportster. The biggest pull for me with the Sportster is that is a blank canvas with endless possibilities to customize.

Take a look at DK Customs website. I've used the reports and information there numerous times and purchased quite a few parts from them as well. Extremely knowledgeable staff and outstanding customer service.

Here's the Speedmaster that I sold.
It's nice to hear from someone who shares the same stance on it, the customisation factor and sound alone, are what are almost winning me over with HD. When you read reviews or watch YouTube videos, from a critical perspective, yeah they may not have ABS, single disc brakes, air cooled engines etc.. but it's about the character of the bike. I did test ride the new Iron 1200 last year, before I settled on the Bobber, and it's always bugged me a little ever since, knowing I rushed into the Triumph without really thinking.. I enjoyed the Iron 1200, it was a good, honest and different experience. I loved it. It would be between the Iron 1200 or the 48.

Originally Posted by steveket
Hi Matt
I’m in the UK too, you will not regret the switch to a Forty Eight - here’s a link to a very short video of mine that might well convince you - just given it a winter service & wash.

https://youtu.be/T6_HPUPja1c
Dude, that's awesome, love the vibration and movement with the HD's, what a bike should feel like. I find the Triumph Bobber to be too refined and clean if that makes sense. Is that Stage 1 yeah?

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi Matt, from the County next door! You can't be so very far from Black Bear H-D in Newmarket, my personal favourite dealer, who I've known since they first opened. It's well worth visiting them to see Sporties in general, but they are due to open new premises very soon, so do check their website for their move date.

As for riding 2-up, we have a number of members who do it, also some good threads on touring on a Sporty, which you may well find interesting and helpful. Do spend some time browsing around in here.
Cheers for this grbrown, and yes! I'm familiar with Black Bear but yet to head there. I've only been to Sycamore in Uppingham. I'll keep an eye out on Newmarkets website, if any Iron's or 48's come up that take my fancy, I'll head out that way and check 'em out. Might see you there at some point! I've been scoping out the forum, lot of good stuff and solid advice here, so thanks!

Old 01-16-2019, 01:01 AM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Matt
Like most owners I went to stage one very early on - without stage one, your new Harley will not have the distinctive exhaust note that all Harleys should make and that we all love. If you’re not buying brand new try to buy a Forty Eight that’s already stage one as if not it’s the first thing you’ll be burning to do and will have to buy a new air filter, a new exhaust system & a remap or dyno-run. Buying all this done already will save you time and money. My air filter is a Rough Crafts unit, exhausts are Vance & Hines and I tune with my own Vance & Hines FuelPak3 (a great piece of kit). My bike also has new “old-school tyres” which are 2 inch taller than the standard OEM Michelin tyres. Much better for looks and ride believe it or not. My own design Side-mount plate and re-painted and new graphic raised tank & grill headlight. Heated Oxford grips too; great for the UK! The list goes on.
i think the Triumph is a good effort by Triumph but there is nothing like the rumble you see my Forty Eight demonstrate, and I found the whole Triumph Bobber too physically small for me, especially the feet position and I’m not that tall at 5ft 11. And whatever you do that parallel twin will never produce a sound anything like or as good as a Harley. Another point of interest is that I fit pillion pegs to mine and have a pillion seat pad and removable sissybar/backrest that allows my wife to ride too in our warmer months! Go test some Forty Eights; note the suspension is rubbish on many Harley models and I solved my frustration with the springer seat; it’s made the ride even on standard shocks amazingly better. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by bobberfettandco
Cheers for this grbrown, and yes! I'm familiar with Black Bear but yet to head there. I've only been to Sycamore in Uppingham. I'll keep an eye out on Newmarkets website, if any Iron's or 48's come up that take my fancy, I'll head out that way and check 'em out. Might see you there at some point! I've been scoping out the forum, lot of good stuff and solid advice here, so thanks!
A couple of the staff at Uppingham moved there from Black Bear. I've only seen the site plans for BB's new premises, haven't been there yet, so it is worth checking their website for details of if and when it is open. It is just off the bypass, to the north of the town centre.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:33 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I have no experience with any in th sportster line-up. Just know it's a small bike for a large individual like myself.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

There are some differences with the UK spec Sporties, compared with the US spec. For example we Brits are more delicate that our butch US cousins, so get longer shocks on the low riding models!

Matt, I recommend you get yourself a test ride asap, so you can size up the challenge you and Mrs M are setting yourselves up for! I've only owned Harleys since the '70s, but they are an acquired taste. Be warned, Mrs B and I have three of 'em at present.....

Quick Reply: Potential move from a Triumph Bobber, need some advice..