Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Straight Shots worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Jak_Rak
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky23
Thanks for all the replies. I know everyone complains about the stock exhaust systems being too quiet, sounds like a Jap bike, etc, But other than the reduction in volume, do the stock exhaust enhance the performance or restrict it?
The seat-of-my-pants dyno tells me that the stock exhaust is not a performance piece. The difference in the low to mid ranges between the stock pipes and the V&H Shortshots was very noticeable. It's still noticeable between the stock exhaust and the Rush slip-ons, and I'm guessing that's because the 2016 models had cats in the mufflers, making them more restrictive than usual. As I said in my earlier post, on a performance scale of 1 to 10, if the stock exhaust was a 2, and the V&H exhaust was an 8, I'd say the Rush mufflers are a 6½.

The Rush mufflers may be a little loud for some, but to my ears they are leagues better than the Shortshots. I feel the bike has a more accessible low end and mid-range with the slip-ons than with the stock exhaust. YMMV, just my two cents, etc., etc..

Again, I'm running the stock air cleaner and fuel map, and I'd bet with upgrades in these areas the 72 would run better than it does now.

The following users liked this post:
Saskrider (02-16-2021)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:16 PM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The pre-rubbers dont have a catalytic converter in them. They have a baffle plug that a lot of folks remove, but I think they flow a little free-er than the post-2004 mufflers. At least I think so(:

Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 AM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi ; just sharing my Forty Eight sound. Stock headers with V&H TwinSlash Slipons with baffles out. Hardly any volume change with baffles in/out, just a slightly raspier sound on decel with baffles out which presently I like. The overall stage one (aircleaner & Slipons & Fuelpak Tune-up) means the bike is far quicker and responsive than when I had it stock.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:53 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Anything will perform better than the stock restrictive exhaust. Cat or no cat.
I just picked up the straightshots myself. What makes them better than other drag pipes with baffles is the stepped header pipe. 1 3/4" to 2". This helps the exhaust escape out rather than cause reversion. No different than some slip ons on the stock 1 3/4 header really except the heatshield gives it the appearance of the same bigger pipe all the way rather than a bloated look at the end.
If I don't like the sound or want more low end, I'll replace the baffles with a 2" version of the HP+ baffle which I do like in my 1 3/4 drag pipes.
no 2-2 is optimal performance wise tho. That would mean a 2-1 which I don't care for sound and appearance wise.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

As noted the stock exhaust is restrictive. Getting a more open exhaust that has a good note usually gives more top end power, but is usually accompanied by reversion that robs low and mid-range torque.

They key is to find an exhaust that you like the sound of, then add some Thunder Torque Inserts. They do not take away from top end, and they add a very nice bump to low and mid range power. Added benefit is they drop the tone to a deeper note and reduce the decibels a bit (3-6).

So if the straight shots (or any other exhaust) are just a tad too loud, the TTI's may be the answer for dropping that volume a bit.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

lucky23 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:50 AM
lucky23
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Anything will perform better than the stock restrictive exhaust. Cat or no cat.
I just picked up the straightshots myself. What makes them better than other drag pipes with baffles is the stepped header pipe. 1 3/4" to 2". This helps the exhaust escape out rather than cause reversion. No different than some slip ons on the stock 1 3/4 header really except the heatshield gives it the appearance of the same bigger pipe all the way rather than a bloated look at the end.
If I don't like the sound or want more low end, I'll replace the baffles with a 2" version of the HP+ baffle which I do like in my 1 3/4 drag pipes.
no 2-2 is optimal performance wise tho. That would mean a 2-1 which I don't care for sound and appearance wise.
Im really curious about the supposed performance deficit caused by stock mufflers. I understand their more restrictive and quieter, but I wonder exactly how much power you're supposedly losing by running stock mufflers as say compared to Screamin' Eagle II's? I do know that my bike feels anemic and has low torque cruising at town speeds with the V&H's Straight Shots, even with the SE air cleaner.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:51 AM
lucky23
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
As noted the stock exhaust is restrictive. Getting a more open exhaust that has a good note usually gives more top end power, but is usually accompanied by reversion that robs low and mid-range torque.

They key is to find an exhaust that you like the sound of, then add some Thunder Torque Inserts. They do not take away from top end, and they add a very nice bump to low and mid range power. Added benefit is they drop the tone to a deeper note and reduce the decibels a bit (3-6).

So if the straight shots (or any other exhaust) are just a tad too loud, the TTI's may be the answer for dropping that volume a bit.
Those are pretty damn impressive!

DK Custom (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:05 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
I got rid of mine and glad I did. I think you're seeing a theme.
Wow really? 2 or 3 people here is a theme? There are a lot of people running them that sure seem to love them. No different than a lot of slip ons without the bloated look or clamps. It's all in a 1 piece pipe. It's a stepped pipe with a baffle that can be easily changed and as DK pointed out the TTIs can bring more low end and are adjustable.
Personally I like the HP+ baffles for the deeper sound and better low end torque and still have the great look the straightshots offer.
If you want the best performance tho and don't care so much about the sound and appearance go with a 2-1 like the patriot defender.

The following 2 users liked this post by 60Gunner:
DK Custom (01-27-2019), Ridetothehill (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Bama Lee
Road Warrior
Received 1,536 Likes on 677 Posts

I love the str8 shots on mine.....gutted........rattle windows and frighten old people

Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 PM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

We like the Long Shots on my wife's Dyna. They look kickin, sound great and she says she feels a little more low end torque. I jumped on for a blast and the bike just rips.

Quick Reply: V&H Straight Shots worth it?