Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Straight Shots worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:33 PM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Wow really? 2 or 3 people here is a theme? There are a lot of people running them that sure seem to love them. No different than a lot of slip ons without the bloated look or clamps. It's all in a 1 piece pipe. It's a stepped pipe with a baffle that can be easily changed and as DK pointed out the TTIs can bring more low end and are adjustable.
Personally I like the HP+ baffles for the deeper sound and better low end torque and still have the great look the straightshots offer.
If you want the best performance tho and don't care so much about the sound and appearance go with a 2-1 like the patriot defender.
I think what they meant was, theirs a growing demographic of Harley owners that don't want super loud pipes for noises sake, me being one of them. Ive owned 12 Harleys (Ironheads, Shovel heads, Rigid Evos and a Rubber-mount) over the past few decades and Im just tired of a bike being loud just to be loud. Im more interested in performance and riding comfort, and even with earplugs a loud bike is tiring after a couple hundred miles. Maybe its age, but I have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone, so I want my bike to be a bit more civilized. That being said, I plan on researching the HP+ baffles you mentioned. Hopefully they fit the pre-2004 bikes(:

The following users liked this post:
Jak_Rak (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky23
My 2000 883/1200 came with Vance & Hines Straight Shots. They obnoxiously loud even with baffles, but do they have any real performance benefits over the stock exhaust other than just being loud? I got a set of the early SE slip-ons I may try if the V&H have no real performance benefit. Comments?
They will give you a little more power at top rpm, which you will almost never be at, and they're loud AF.

They will, in all probability, give you less power than the stock exhaust at low to mid rpm.

Which won't really matter, because you'll hate riding it so much it will sit in the garage.

Plenty of sexy 2-1's out there, if you want the grunt that will put a big-*** smile on your face.

My dos centavos.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:03 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
They will give you a little more power at top rpm, which you will almost never be at, and they're loud AF.

They will, in all probability, give you less power than the stock exhaust at low to mid rpm.

Which won't really matter, because you'll hate riding it so much it will sit in the garage.

Plenty of sexy 2-1's out there, if you want the grunt that will put a big-*** smile on your face.

My dos centavos.
wayyy too much misinformation being given based soley on someone's dislike for pipes that are louder than he cares for.
less power than stock huh?
I don't care for raspy, obnoxious loud myself. Myself and DK gave you options for nice deep sound with WAYYY better performance than stock with pipes that are great in appearance as well (No 2-1 will even touch them in this dept. Or that nice deep rumble for that matter.) But if you want the best performance at the expense of sound and appearance, by all means.
Your choice.

Oh, and don't discount the TTIs or combination of the TTIs with the right baffle either. Both are inexpensive. You can have the great sound and appearance of a 2-2 exhaust and still have good performance across the board. Dont let him BS you.
I'm not out to BS you by knocking someone else's preference of every last ounce of performance. A 2-1 is the best. But if squeezing every last pony out of your bike isn't a priority, you can have all 3. Good performance, and the best in sound and appearance. Throw in a good set of cams and the sound and performance gets even better.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-27-2019 at 02:31 PM.
DK Custom (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:26 PM
lucky23
Cruiser

wayyy too much misinformation being given based soley on someone's dislike for pipes that are louder than he cares for.
less power than stock huh?
I don't care for raspy, obnoxious loud myself. Myself and DK gave you options for nice deep sound with WAYYY better performance than stock with pipes that are great in appearance as well (No 2-1 will even touch them in this dept. Or that nice deep rumble for that matter.) But if you want the best performance at the expense of sound and appearance, by all means.
Your choice.

Oh, and don't discount the TTIs or combination of the TTIs with the right baffle either. Both are inexpensive. You can have the great sound and appearance of a 2-2 exhaust and still have good performance across the board. Dont let him BS you.
The DK Customs TTI's looked really impressive, especially the dyno results. It really looks like they did their homework with regards to r&d. But more importantly, they demonstrated that you can get better performance and power with your modified stock mufflers and save a lot of money. I have an extra set of gutted stock mufflers Ill try the TTIs on and report back here.

DK Custom (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 PM
lucky23
Cruiser

I also have a set of stock slip-ons with a 1/2" hole in the plugs Im going to try out. Ill report the results of that also.

DK Custom (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:49 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

The DK Customs TTI's looked really impressive, especially the dyno results. It really looks like they did their homework with regards to r&d. But more importantly, they demonstrated that you can get better performance and power with your modified stock mufflers and save a lot of money. I have an extra set of gutted stock mufflers Ill try the TTIs on and report back here.
So has V&H in regards to R&D.
Hammer Performance has tested a multitude of exhaust systems as well and you don't have to give up on the the sound and appearance you want just to have good performing exhaust.
Don't drink the koolaide here!

Old 01-27-2019, 05:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Im really curious about the supposed performance deficit caused by stock mufflers. I understand their more restrictive and quieter, but I wonder exactly how much power you're supposedly losing by running stock mufflers as say compared to Screamin' Eagle II's? I do know that my bike feels anemic and has low torque cruising at town speeds with the V&H's Straight Shots, even with the SE air cleaner.

There's some good info in this little report on "Myths & Facts about How Harley Exhaust Works". Clicky

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
lucky23 (01-27-2019), Ridetothehill (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:30 PM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

You've got to be kidding me

Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 PM
lucky23
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
There's some good info in this little report on "Myths & Facts about How Harley Exhaust Works". Clicky
Great explanation of exhaust theory, thanks for the link. I installed the stock mufflers with a 1/2" hole in the baffles and rode it today. It hauls *** now on acceleration, way zippy-er than it was, but...They sound kinda lame.(: The engine noise is louder than the mufflers, and these engines make a lot of racket. Im gonna try the Thunder Torque Inserts next on my gutted stock mufflers next and see if I can get the low-end torque AND a fuller exhaust note.

Last edited by lucky23; 01-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.
DK Custom (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Jak_Rak
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't drink the koolaide here!
Or you could, you know, look at everything with an open mind. There's plenty of good information in this thread from a number of folks. Do the research, the info is out there. There is no- one-size-fits-all solution. If there was, we'd all be running the same setup, and the aftermarket manufacturers would have to find another way to feed their kids.

I don't see any information being peddled as "koolaide", nor anyone being forced to drink it. Aside from one post that I would consider inaccurate, most of what people have put forward is useful, and that includes informed opinions.

Quick Reply: V&H Straight Shots worth it?