Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sportster Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 AM
clydewilson4
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Street is ok as a starter bike but it's under powered, very squirrely on the above 55mph and because it doesn't sell well there are very few parts and accessories for it outside of India. I bought it because I hadn't been on a bike in about 8 years and thought it would be a starter bike. The Sporty is more comfortable, has more power and I'm already making a list of things I want to do to the bike.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (02-13-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:17 PM
priell3
Road Master
Received 1,800 Likes on 481 Posts

Looks good! Congrats!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:53 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Congrats....wow brand spanken new. Never had one of those. Enjoy your Sporty.....let the fun begin.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts

Before judging anything as a starter bike, find out what kind of rider is involved. I used to ride fast and aggressive and that would have been my muscle-bike (not crotchrockets but standard/naked frames with the muscle engines with explosive acceleration) era in which I considered the Big Twins as fat old loud wannabees. As I got older I leaned toward the fatter cruisers. Now that I'm well past retirement age, I've gone back a few steps and actually prefer the XL883 Standard with midcontrols because I prefer riding twisty country roads and definitely not Main Street or the interstate. So, I don't think of any kind of bike as a "starter" or a "finisher" bike.
I like all motorcycles of all styles and countries of origin, particularly ones with an interesting history. If it has 2 or 3 wheels (or 4 including the sidecart), I'm good with it.
I currently have a Honda and a Sportster sharing a garage as roommates and they get along very well. Heck, I even have shirts with different company logos. Just enjoy the ride.
By the way, my short legs limit me to the style of controls and the size of the bike. I hate it that I can't touch the ground on the great dirt bikes or reach the controls on the big cruisers. For comfort, I prefer the standard "sit-up-and-beg" position like on the old Brit bikes or my basic Sportster....and my lower back thanks me every time I ride. I am a proud member of the Sons of Arthritis riding club.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
Before judging anything as a starter bike, find out what kind of rider is involved. I used to ride fast and aggressive and that would have been my muscle-bike (not crotchrockets but standard/naked frames with the muscle engines with explosive acceleration) era in which I considered the Big Twins as fat old loud wannabees. As I got older I leaned toward the fatter cruisers. Now that I'm well past retirement age, I've gone back a few steps and actually prefer the XL883 Standard with midcontrols because I prefer riding twisty country roads and definitely not Main Street or the interstate. So, I don't think of any kind of bike as a "starter" or a "finisher" bike.
I like all motorcycles of all styles and countries of origin, particularly ones with an interesting history. If it has 2 or 3 wheels (or 4 including the sidecart), I'm good with it.
I currently have a Honda and a Sportster sharing a garage as roommates and they get along very well. Heck, I even have shirts with different company logos. Just enjoy the ride.

By the way, my short legs limit me to the style of controls and the size of the bike. I hate it that I can't touch the ground on the great dirt bikes or reach the controls on the big cruisers. For comfort, I prefer the standard "sit-up-and-beg" position like on the old Brit bikes or my basic Sportster....and my lower back thanks me every time I ride. I am a proud member of the Sons of Arthritis riding club.
Regarding the bolded parts, that is basically how I feel also. I also rode fast bikes before moving to cruisers. I have an Ultra and a Sportster, and the Sportster has the shifter and rear brake levers mid instead of forward. I prefer to do the standard sit up also, only in my case the affected area is the upper shoulders and neck instead. Although I'm capable of riding the Ultra on twisty country roads I prefer to use the Sportster for that, and I find country roads more enjoyable than riding fast riding down Main street or the Interstates. My legs tend to be a little shorter also, even though my overall height is average. I can ride dirt bikes and reach the controls of the big cruisers, but I'm more comfortable without using the front footrests most of the time. If I do use it at all it's just for a position change on a long steady ride, which I haven't had one of those in a long time. And I have Arthritis too, among other things. So just because I started out on smaller bikes doesn't make them just starter bikes anymore. They each have their + and minuses depending on what kind of riding you want to do. Although either can be used for whatever, one is clearly better than the other for certain situations.

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 02-12-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Mando1602
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent choice, my friend

Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 AM
762mm
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mando1602
What bars are those?

Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mando1602
Now that one I like , Doubt ever own another Sportster but might have considered that when was in the market and bought my FXD ..

Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

With the way that very nice looking bike is parked when you get off it you are stepping close to traffic coming up behind you.

Had you guys decided to drive on the "correct" side of the road as you get off your bike you step away from the traffic.

Just saying!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:31 AM
Mando1602
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 762mm
What bars are those?
They are the HD chizeled lo bars

Quick Reply: New Sportster Owner