Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screemin Eagle Performance II SE-585 cams for Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,051 Likes on 568 Posts

Im more concerned now that my dealer who’s going to install the new SE-585 isn’t going to the put the SE heavy duty tappets in, thinking stock tappets will be up to the job. I might have rectify that.

From my point of view. All I want is a noticeable improvement over stock. Be it stage 1 & stage 2 SE 585. If I achieve that Im happy. Yes I know Hammer would make me more happy.
stock lifters work just fine. 120hp later and they still work fine.

I think you’ll be disappointed with the lack of performance from the 585 emissions chickens. But, you’re hooked on the warranty wussy train so that’s what ya get. 🤷🏽*♂️

Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

California cams. Haha!

Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

I haven't looked it up but it wouldn't surprised me if the stock cams made more low end power. The stock cams are not bad down low.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
The following users liked this post:
WKNDS (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
California cams. Haha!
lmao Commiefornia Cams 🤦🏽*♂️

Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior

So what happened? Well, we lost a little power below 5500 rpm. This isn't some huge surprise. The stock "W" cams have a very early intake close event and that helps build a lot of cylinder pressure, which is why they perform well down low and into the middle. But on the big end, the early intake close timing hurts cylinder fill, and the power noses over. Enter the IMPACT 560's. Their later intake close timing helps top end substantially, but they also bleed off compression. Without a corresponding increase in compression ratio, they reduce cylinder pressure through the bottom and mid range. It's not a terrible loss, but it's there. The top end gain is mighty impressive, though, 14hp from a cam swap is a bunch!

Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM
xl1200x48
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update

Bike not back from dealer/workshop yet

Im told:-

Tuned with special map by dyno jet power vision

The SE-585 cams are in.

The heavy duty springs are in

The screemin eagle high capacity tappets/lifters are in

Dealer/workshop has ridden bike and are impressed with the bike's stage 2 performance but does not like how the new lifters sound. They are noisy and rattly apparently.

Dealer/workshop say they are going open bike back up and reinstall the original OEM lifters.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:37 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior

The quietest lifters on the market are S&S premium lifters. They are expensive though.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:12 PM
xl1200x48
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riders update on SE- 585 cams

Acknowledgements

Many thanks to all those that made positive & helpful comments and special thanks to those that made funny & sarcastic comments and thanks to all those reading this.

Please take everything below as a pinch of salt & god bless the Sportster,

Bike is back baby - so what’s been done?

The 2017 48 is back from dealer/workshop with the new 585 cams, uprated springs and stock tappets put back in, plus a stage 1 to compliment the stage 2.

It's now equipped with Vance and Hines mini grenades, screaming eagle heavy breather and a dyno jet power vision special map.

Exhaust weight saving

I think there has been some weight saving by swopping out the existing Vance and Hines slip on’s and headers for Mini grenades. Off the bike the slip on’s, headers and bracket feel very heavy.

Obseravation about theV/H slip ons

The slip on's produced a very nice sound, like a WW2 fighter plane. I liked the sound but I have moved on to V/H Mini Grenades and I like them too.

Early impressions with stage 2 585 cams

The 48 rides excellent and the sound is incredible, The stage 1 & 2 has definitely woken up the Sportster, so in that aspect, mission accomplished (chicken cam haters will not like this news)

585 cam test ride.
For all those doubters & for all the loyal hard core third party fans & for all those cam profile data reader experts

There is no problem blasting away from stop, no loss of power low down, good power through out the crisp throttle range but best of all, a fantastic boost of power at the top with that welcomed extra 2000 rpm.

So no more rev limiter kicking in early.

Conclusion

Happy days.

Project 585 cam fear put to bed.

What is a chicken cam?

It is my interpretation that a chicken cam is an approved Harley Davidson cam that someone puts in because of fear of losing their warranty on their brand new bike that has been bought out of their hard earned cash.

Opinion on the motive of chicken cam accuser

To promote third party cams?

It's unlikely but not impossible a chicken cam accuser will personally help you financially out of his own pocket to help pay to rebuild a brand new wrecked HD engine.?

So how about my 585 chicken cams

From todays ride out, the chicken cam rules its own roost, all be it, its the only chicken in the coop.(this comment may seem weird to those picking up the tread from here ,but please see above)

Ahh but there must be some negatives to the cams

The tappet sound is ever so slightly noisier, Im told this is as to be expected with a cam change but is no way embarrassing compared to the uprated SE tappets which the dealer said were very loud, although I never personally heard them.

There is a slight increase in vibes through the footpegs around 70mph which you can ride through or back off. This may improve as things bed in. But then again the EVO is not a Japanese inline 4. Its a mechanical experience, its what makes it special to ride in my opinion.

MPG

I haven’t really got enough miles under my belt yet to comment on MPG with the new cams, although Im sure I gave dealer a full tank and what with their test rides and mine, the dreaded fuel light came on at 56 miles today. With so many gas stations around, finding one is never a problem,

Previous mpg, stock, with just VH slips on’s, I got between 56 & 70 miles depending on riding style, so the early insight is that mpg is comparable to stock when ridden hard but with added HP with the stage 2.

Summing up

My feeling is the Sportster is not a cruiser but a Sportster designed to be ’sporty’. So pay the Harley tax and make it happen or forever keep your sporty leashed.

Would I do a 585 cam upgrade again

Yes I would

Would I use an alternative third party cam after warranty

Yes I would ( Especially if manufacture can give location of a local national distributor/installer when asked)

Why do I think a stage 2 cam upgrade is better than just doing a stage 1

Initially I thought all this staging up nonsense was some sort of posing recognition status, bragging rights, mines better than yours bullshit

I just wanted some power increase after riding new 114 Breakout and 114 Fat bob

On the 48 I bypassed stage 1 and went for stage 1 & stage 2 straight away

I felt a noticeable improvement over stock. Thats a result. !

I once had a 883 and did a stage 1 and that felt an improvement but not as noticeable as stage 2 on 1200cc 48

Of course power is not same as 114 but then again the agility of sportster compared to softail being about 50kg lighter is different again

So what have I learned

Ive learned that fear of opening up your engine prevents people taking risks to imprive performance.
Ive learned you can take risk with warranty.
Ive learned that some will risk without warranty and laugh at those that do
Ive learned that stage 2 is open heart surgery.
Ive learned that stage 1 is a safe bet
Ive learned that stock sucks
Ive learned that stage 1 and stage 2 are expensive
Ive learned that stage 2 puts a smile on your face
Ive learned that stage 2 585 cams produce a slightly different exhaust sound
Ive learned the modding will continue

Ive learned that I love Harley Davidson more now than ever.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:44 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

I remember my first beer 🍺 too lmao

I’m glad you’re happy, but some of your statements/opinions are just that, opinions lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Madnss:
apache snow (02-23-2019), JonnyBigRigSportster48 (12-10-2023)