Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screemin Eagle Performance II SE-585 cams for Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:40 PM
xl1200x48
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screemin Eagle Performance II SE-585 cams for Sportster

Hello Everyone - Im new to this forum and I love my Sportster.

I can’t seem to find anywhere on the net anyone who’s put SE-585 cams into their sportster.

SE-585 cams appear from what I can see, to be the only sportster cam offered in the 2019 HD catalogue (page 490)

I have my 2017 48 booked in for some work very soon.

I’d ideally like to do stage 1 & stage 2 at the same time.

Ive seen on this forum some theoretical computations on how the SE-585 may behave, appearing to favour higher rpm at the expense of loss of torque low down. Having only read this, I am contemplating cancelling the cam work, if there is a potential for a noticeable loss of, off the line acceleration, which I currently enjoy stock.

Assuming I still had the SE-585 cam work done, do you think coming from stock, with the new addition of stage 1, there would still be an improvement of, off the line acceleration, that would help to counteract any loss from the stage 2 SE-585 cams, which primarily appears to favour higher RPM’s?

Part of me thinks just do it and report back but the cam work ain't cheap.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 520 Likes on 260 Posts

You're looking in the wrong catalog, check out page 108 of the 2019 Screamin Eagle catalog instead. Here are their current offerings:

The 585's are the second line down. It's important to understand that the 585's are an emissions legal cam grind. Notice how they have a mile of exhaust duration as compared to their intake duration. That's to work well with restrictive emissions-legal exhausts. They also have moderate overlap (33 degrees), and a mild 45 degree intake close point. Bottom line, despite their high lift, they are not a particularly hot set of cams. Both the 575's and the 536's are quite a bit hotter cams. They're a set of cams you use if you have a very restrictive exhaust. Also, be aware that they are not bolt-ins, they require new valve springs.

The 551's are a very similar grind to the 585's, but without the long exhaust duration. So if you have a good exhaust, these would be a better choice. An exhaust lobe that's too long will dump power right out the exhaust pipe, especially on the lower end of the rpm range, because the exhaust valve opens while there's still cylinder pressure. Also, the 551's are bolt-ins for your bike.

But any of these cams is going to lose significant power on the left side of the chart as compared to the stock "W" cams. The W's have the earliest intake close timing (25 degrees) of any Evolution XL cams you can buy anywhere. Early intake close timing biases the power down the rpm scale. If it's bottom end and mid range you care about, leave the cams alone.

The following 3 users liked this post by aswracing:
tmac00333 (02-06-2019), tomcatg (02-08-2019), WKNDS (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hello old chap and welcome to HDF. You will find that a favourite source of Sportster tuning info in this forum is Hammer Performance. I recommend you visit their website, where you should be able to feast on tuning info, including cams and a whole lot more besides. We even have build threads in here on installing and tuning their products.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:24 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hello old chap and welcome to HDF. You will find that a favourite source of Sportster tuning info in this forum is Hammer Performance. I recommend you visit their website, where you should be able to feast on tuning info, including cams and a whole lot more besides. We even have build threads in here on installing and tuning their products.
Hammer has the 570s that give a boost to mid and high with No loss to low end. The 56° of overlap will make them somewhat picky about the exhaust. They're also a bolt in on 04 and up 1200s. Just put them in my 05 1200C. An excellent choice imo.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-05-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:59 PM
xl1200x48
2nd Gear

Thank you all for your replies everyone. I love Hammer but this might ruin my warranty, So Im stuck with scremin Eagle until this expires.

What spurred me on to book my stock cams in to be replaced this week with SE-585 cams was this video below.

I'm led to believe SE-585 cams were used, along with stonger springs and high capacity tappets.

The dyno run data looks good in comparison to the theoretical cam data. Even low end.

Also the HD website for Sportster SE-585 cams quote "The high-lift” Full Throttle” cam kit provides significant horse-power gains with a HIGH-FLOWING EXHAUST and intake components '

ASWRACING has an interesting conflicting quote "They're a set of cams you use if you have a very restrictive exhaust" in comparison to HD sales spiel for the SE-585 cams.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...se-585-cam-kit

The vid is intresting for the SE-585 cam.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

And there lies the theorectiacal conclusion vs the Dyno

Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

I'll go with Hammer every time. Those guys are the best in the business. They know what they are doing and put every thing on the dyno as well. They don't steer you wrong.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 520 Likes on 260 Posts

Trust me, I'm very well aware of how they're marketed. I also know how to read cam specs.Hyping the **** out of things is not unusual in this business. You need to look past it.

The dyno sheet you're looking at in that video is not just from the cams, they also changed the exhaust and air cleaner and they tuned it. Those things make a bigger difference than the cam swap. 83hp is not a particularly impressive result on an EFI 1200. I've made more than that with the stock cams.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:39 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by apache snow
I'll go with Hammer every time. Those guys are the best in the business. They know what they are doing and put every thing on the dyno as well. They don't steer you wrong.
To add to that, great bunch of guys that wont sell you something you dont need. Tell them what you're looking to do, your expectations, what your future plans might be, etc. They wont bs you down the wrong path.
If it were me, I'd just hang tight til the warranty is up if that's a concern.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:47 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by xl1200x48
....snip....
ASWRACING has an interesting conflicting quote "They're a set of cams you use if you have a very restrictive exhaust" in comparison to HD sales spiel for the SE-585 cams.
...snip...
Please let me know your thoughts.
Just a FYI, You have heard from HammerPerf.
aswracing = Aaron from Hammer Performance
http://www.hammerperf.com/hpcrew.shtml#hpcrew

hth,

T.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:43 PM
xl1200x48
2nd Gear

Honestly, Im honoured to hear from you Aaron

I’ve watched Hammer Dan’s technical teardown videos on YouTube and they are simply brilliant.

I would love to try some superior Hammer gear but as I said, in order to maintain warranty on my relatively newish 48, I don’t think HD would take to kindly to some Hammer time.

Therefore my only options appear to be the SE-585 cams offered on page 490 of the 2019 HD catalogue and no matter how crap or good these cams really are, in essence my hands are tied until my warranty expires after summer riding season.

I couldn’t help but laugh, quote 83hp is not a particularly impressive result on an EFI 1200. I've made more than that with the stock cams.I don’t doubt you’re right that your cams would blow away the competition and yes I would naturally being changing air filter & exhaust too in order to reach those not so massive SE HP figures.!

Im more concerned now that my dealer who’s going to install the new SE-585 isn’t going to the put the SE heavy duty tappets in, thinking stock tappets will be up to the job. I might have rectify that.

From my point of view. All I want is a noticeable improvement over stock. Be it stage 1 & stage 2 SE 585. If I achieve that Im happy. Yes I know Hammer would make me more happy.

On a side note Aaron do you have UK distributors for Hammer gear and what tuners do your use ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Screemin Eagle Performance II SE-585 cams for Sportster