Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "unstable" issue I cannot seem to cure

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:16 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Is there on this forum or on YouTube info on adjusting the Forty Eight neck bearings?? I do not see it.... yes some other Harley models etc. but not the same adjuster nut etc. Regards! (Noooo I do not have a manual - not because it costs 14 times more here but because it is hard to find - fake news here is free all day, all year round! Ebay?? - go see how much there says "do not ship to your country"... and to be honest I do not blame them!!)

Old 02-06-2019, 05:04 AM
kernow
Advanced
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

With regards to the pre -16....48's although they are fitted with 16" front and rears, they are of course wires as opposed to the cast alloy and also fitted with 39mm forks as opposed to the 49mm forks fitted to the latter. So if they don't suffer with the same problem as the later 48's it does sort of look as though the change could well have some bearing on it.!!!

Old 02-06-2019, 05:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

I have been a Harley owner since the '70s, but only bought new ones. The original tyres throughout have never been very good, sometimes border-line dangerous. Living in the UK I routinely replace with European brand tyres, to ride my American bikes on European roads. I have mostly used Avon tyres, now owned by Cooper Tires - British designed and made, but American owned, so a marriage made in heaven!

I strongly recommend you bin your current tyres and fit a better brand. Until you do that you will be forever chasing your tail IMHO. Use proper front and rear treads. If you change brand, do check the manufacturer's website for the correct pressures, as Avon especially are often different to the Owners Manual. I currently have Avons on all three of my V-twins.

The following users liked this post:
JWCFatboy (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have been a Harley owner since the '70s, but only bought new ones. The original tyres throughout have never been very good, sometimes border-line dangerous. Living in the UK I routinely replace with European brand tyres, to ride my American bikes on European roads. I have mostly used Avon tyres, now owned by Cooper Tires - British designed and made, but American owned, so a marriage made in heaven!

I strongly recommend you bin your current tyres and fit a better brand. Until you do that you will be forever chasing your tail IMHO. Use proper front and rear treads. If you change brand, do check the manufacturer's website for the correct pressures, as Avon especially are often different to the Owners Manual. I currently have Avons on all three of my V-twins.
A word of wisdom spoken!! My thoughts too in one of my previous replies. And yes, I grew up with Avon and used them for many years. However with the radical negative political changes over here, Avon does not supply us with tires any more.... we are screwed! I'll have to check what else is available. Maybe Bridgestone? I know we have very little to choose here.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

This morning I lifted the 48 once more. The neck bearings feel 100%. I do not think adjusting them will help. I then inflated the tires to just above the recommended pressure to see if this will make a difference. On the road the bike is stable till 80km /h - from there the "search and rescue dog" personality creeps in. It may be imagination but it feels more stable above 120km /h ... (I took it to 150 km / h).

So far it may be 1. the 16" wheels, 2. aerodynamics, 3. turbulence, 4. tire compound....

The cure is coming....

Old 02-06-2019, 07:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JWCFatboy
A word of wisdom spoken!! My thoughts too in one of my previous replies. And yes, I grew up with Avon and used them for many years. However with the radical negative political changes over here, Avon does not supply us with tires any more.... we are screwed! I'll have to check what else is available. Maybe Bridgestone? I know we have very little to choose here.
Perhaps you're searching for the wrong thing - they definitely make them as tyres over here!!!!

Joking aside, it seems that Avon on their own website only refer to supplying the UK market, which suggests they now rely on the Cooper distribution network for foreign markets - and Cooper have no distributers in the whole of Africa!

Let us know what brands of tyres you can get and we'll offer suggestions of the most suitable ones. I was in Capetown and Western Cape a couple of years ago and there were plenty of bikes around, so there must be some available!

Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I love my Pirelli Night Dragons. Completely different bike with good tires.

John

Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Hard to believe and most don't but setting the fall off for the torque on the neck bearings to the minimum on a Softail give the most stable filling and livens it up in the twisties. (You might say on the first few minutes..I don't know??..but at speed, bet you change your mind)
Not sure what it does to a sporty..

Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

I have a 2014 Forty, now with Shinko's on it no issues at all what ever speed I go and I also have a 1200 Iron and exept the quicker turning with the 16" I feel no difference.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:44 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Perhaps you're searching for the wrong thing - they definitely make them as tyres over here!!!!

Joking aside, it seems that Avon on their own website only refer to supplying the UK market, which suggests they now rely on the Cooper distribution network for foreign markets - and Cooper have no distributers in the whole of Africa!

Let us know what brands of tyres you can get and we'll offer suggestions of the most suitable ones. I was in Capetown and Western Cape a couple of years ago and there were plenty of bikes around, so there must be some available!
None AVONS available! TracMac is our main tire supplier - none - zero - nothing .... which is a pity! Will let you know of other tires.... When you come here again - let me know!

Last edited by JWCFatboy; 02-06-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: The "unstable" issue I cannot seem to cure