Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "unstable" issue I cannot seem to cure

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:15 PM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I’ve read this thread and I don’t think I can offer too much to what has been said. What I can say is I’ve ridden a few Forty Eights on hire and on demos and eventually bought a new one in 2015 - last of the spoke wheels. None of the bikes I’ve ridden have presented what you describe. My own has been on various tyres but now on 5x16 Victory TT Classics; larger in height than OEM. Again, no unusual behaviour other than the usual and wonderful shakes and vibrations you get with Sportsters. I am though thinking that at 6ft 6” tall your own physique might be something to do with your issues. I’m
5ft 11” and I find the reach, footpegs, seat height are all just about right. No unusual buffering at motorway/autoroute speeds etc as my head is not a great height above the bars/speedo. As you have found your experience on all the Forty Eights you’ve tried I think “common factor is...”. My son in law is 6ft 7” and he just doesn’t look right sat on my Forty Eight; he loves the look but both me and him are thinking he is better suited to the Softtail Slim option instead.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

It will be interesting to hear if a problem is found. Im sure there is a issue in one way or another.
I have owned a crossbones, Fat Bob and a couple of the fat front tired Sportsters over the years. I have always found them to ride very nice in terms of stability.
My experiance has always been the opposite. It has always been the skinny 21 inch tires that seem to give me fits with feeling unstable by following rain grooves and uneven roads.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by steveket
I’ve read this thread and I don’t think I can offer too much to what has been said. What I can say is I’ve ridden a few Forty Eights on hire and on demos and eventually bought a new one in 2015 - last of the spoke wheels. None of the bikes I’ve ridden have presented what you describe. My own has been on various tyres but now on 5x16 Victory TT Classics; larger in height than OEM. Again, no unusual behaviour other than the usual and wonderful shakes and vibrations you get with Sportsters. I am though thinking that at 6ft 6” tall your own physique might be something to do with your issues. I’m
5ft 11” and I find the reach, footpegs, seat height are all just about right. No unusual buffering at motorway/autoroute speeds etc as my head is not a great height above the bars/speedo. As you have found your experience on all the Forty Eights you’ve tried I think “common factor is...”. My son in law is 6ft 7” and he just doesn’t look right sat on my Forty Eight; he loves the look but both me and him are thinking he is better suited to the Softtail Slim option instead.
Brings me to the point of aerodynamics again.... I have two Fatboys to and they are 100% stable!

Old 02-12-2019, 07:48 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by whylee
It will be interesting to hear if a problem is found. Im sure there is a issue in one way or another.
I have owned a crossbones, Fat Bob and a couple of the fat front tired Sportsters over the years. I have always found them to ride very nice in terms of stability.
My experiance has always been the opposite. It has always been the skinny 21 inch tires that seem to give me fits with feeling unstable by following rain grooves and uneven roads.
If it were grooves etc on/in the tar road It would have been OK... I'm talking smooth surface. I'll have to settle for aerodynamics with me on the bike.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

If this helps at all...

I have a SuperLow 2017 XL1200T with 7000 miles on the clock fitted with 120/70 18 front, 150/70 17 rear and I have a windshield. I am a short **** at 1.65m and weigh 63.5Kg.

Today I was riding with speeds up to 135kph and the bike was totally stable.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:15 PM
It'sAJ
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exact same feeling

I have a 2018 forty eight and it has felt like this since day 1, even after it's first service. My dad was a bike dealer for 30 years and I tried describing it to him and he thought it was the faster speeds having less downward pressure on the rear tyre but I'm going to let him try it.
When I drive over 65mph I suddenly feel like the bike is on a tightrope and is ready to fall over either way every so often, it has a similar feeling to wind buffeting from the sides but it's not actually there, or the back giving way slightly and yet it's good straight clean road and weather perfect. Bike just doesn't like going over 65mph. It's a horrible feeling that genuinely has me wondering about trading in apart from that I love my bike.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:25 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

Just a thought , nobody's looking at the back end of this bike . I have seen reports of early wheel bearing failure on modern Sportsters . In my experience of other bikes , a rear end handling issue can often present itself as a front end issue because that's where your fighting it . I've also noticed that new Sportsters in the dealerships are displayed with their drive belts adjusted very very tight . I've never quite understood how a Sportster swing arm can be mounted to the engine when that engine is rubber mounted to the frame . So maybe the pulling to one side effect has its origins in this area .

The following users liked this post:
Longplay (12-08-2019)
Old 03-27-2021, 05:26 PM
Chris Pane
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever resolve the handling issues on your sporster 48 ? your thread described the exact experience i have had since i purchased new in 2016 and im beyond frustrated with Harley the company !

Old 06-25-2023, 05:11 PM
dgerman
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2022 Sportster 48 and have the EXACT same problem. It seems to struggle to track straight at Highway speeds and sometimes even slower. As I describe it, it "squirrels around". It's annoying at best and a bit disconcerting at worst. I can handle it but it does make me nervous at highway speeds. The Dealership refuses to acknowledge the problem. "Feels fine to us!" I'm sure they are aware of it but can't figure out how to correct it. If anyone comes up with a cure I would love to hear it. By the way, they dealership adjusted front fork tension and balanced the tires. No effect on the "squirrelyness"

JWCFatboy (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 06:43 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by dgerman
I have a 2022 Sportster 48 and have the EXACT same problem. It seems to struggle to track straight at Highway speeds and sometimes even slower. As I describe it, it "squirrels around". It's annoying at best and a bit disconcerting at worst. I can handle it but it does make me nervous at highway speeds. The Dealership refuses to acknowledge the problem. "Feels fine to us!" I'm sure they are aware of it but can't figure out how to correct it. If anyone comes up with a cure I would love to hear it. By the way, they dealership adjusted front fork tension and balanced the tires. No effect on the "squirrelyness"
I have a ‘21 48. Right around the 5K service I noticed the bike would get really wobbly if I went over 70mph. I mentioned this to them at the 5K service and it turned out the neck bearings needed to be adjusted. After that it wasn’t a problem.

dgerman (06-25-2023)

Quick Reply: The "unstable" issue I cannot seem to cure