Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does a 1200 Sportster do for 2 up riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 PM
traxi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How well does a 1200 Sportster do for 2 up riding?

I'm considering getting a dyna or a sportster and one of the factors will be two up riding. The longest I'd realistically ride with my girlfriend is 50-75 miles. How well does a early 2000's/late 90's 1200 do for that? What can be done to make it a better experience for both of us? Thank you!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:40 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

in for comments.

FWIW, if your Spouse/GF plans to be part of the bike experience, HER comfort will rule the day.

the wheelbase on a sporty is so short, it beats you up a bit, and a Dyna's seating/pegs position is pretty cramped

buy an old softail.
if you are SERIOUS, take a MSF course on a beginner bike, they buy an old Road King or EG/Ultra, and then do the MSF again on the big bike.

you will FINALLY end up on a bagger (it's inevitable) so you may as well buy an old Evo or Twin Cam from the start, and save time & money swapping around.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 PM
traxi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04ctd
in for comments.

FWIW, if your Spouse/GF plans to be part of the bike experience, HER comfort will rule the day.

the wheelbase on a sporty is so short, it beats you up a bit, and a Dyna's seating/pegs position is pretty cramped

buy an old softail.
if you are SERIOUS, take a MSF course on a beginner bike, they buy an old Road King or EG/Ultra, and then do the MSF again on the big bike.

you will FINALLY end up on a bagger (it's inevitable) so you may as well buy an old Evo or Twin Cam from the start, and save time & money swapping around.
Should have been a bit more clear in my post, I already ride. I've got a old 500cc jap standard bike (college kid on a tight budget when i got it) so I'm not worried about taking the MSF or anything. Riding 2 up happens a few times a week for quick trips around campus if she needs to get dropped off anywhere, and just around the city. The longer hauls will happen fairly infrequently. I also want something that is able to keep up with all my buddies through the canyons which is why I'm leaning more towards a sporty/dyna. Also on a budget of around 6k all in, since I'm a slightly less broke college kid now. Thanks for the advice and insight though, I'm definitely going to be looking into baggers sometime post college.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

just upgrade the rear suspension and get her a good 2 up seat, those short trips, she will be fine.........

Old 02-14-2019, 03:11 PM
normannewguy
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

1200 will be fine for 2 up. My girlfriend and I ride 100 mile stretches no issues. Bought a nice touring seat, new rear shocks (most harley riders never change shocks, just looked at 89 today and it had original shocks?) new front springs, progressive ones. Spend about 4k on bike rest on 1k accessories. Ive ridden as long as guys on baggers with no issues. She can too

The following users liked this post:
traxi (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,574 Likes on 9,799 Posts

Depends, if you are in your 20's 30's go for it on a Sporty, if you are 40's 50's The Dyna or bigger. you need to physically be able to take a beating to ride a Sportster two up...also helps if your combined weight is 300 or under.

04ctd (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

A lot depends on your physical size, a sporty puts you in close quarters. I had a street Bob that did not feel much different, however with my switchback, floorboards, a touring seat, and backrest we were quite comfortable. On a sporty, stock shocks really are poor quality (2016 not too bad). Some HD 412 progressive 12.5." Shocks and a mustang touring seat will make a big change, (I've done it before). I'm 52, wife and I have newer Roadster sporties and have no problem riding 250+ mile days.

normannewguy (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,436 Likes on 612 Posts

I love Sportys, but they much better solo then two up. Sure you can do it, and less then 100 miles is nothing, but if you start going further or always ride two up, I would probably lean towards the Dyna.
either bike a sissy bar and a seat made for two up is really all you need, the older stuff you will probably be scrounging EBay

04ctd (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I'm 6'3", 245-250 lbs, and my daughter is 5'7", around 140, and I thought my '04 1200C rode and handled pretty good in the Black Hills last summer with both of us. I put a Harley "pillow look" seat on it and used Road King airshocks, and compared to most metrics it's far more comfortable and can still grind the back muffler. Avon tires gave it a lot better traction and handling than the Dunlops you see on most of them. I haven't done anything to the front suspension, thought I would until I put the air shocks on, quite happy with it as is now. I also changed the air shock oil to 10 weight and only used 9 ounces, floats over tar strips now that would lift me off the seat before. Another thing important with two up is brakes; I thought I needed to find a dual disk setup for the front until I tried Lyndall Gold pads, huge improvement and quite adequate on the single disk, and I really worked them in the Black Hills. A 1200 set up this way would be a major comfort increase over any metric in your 500cc class. I've ridden some big twin Harleys that didn't ride as well. Not as well as my old Tour Glide or Electraglide, of course, but then you're talking a bit more money.

"Sportster" implies a better handling Harley, and a lot of people think it would be the one in front through the twisties, but a well set up Dyna... would depend more on the riders than the bikes. Still a fun bike, would miss it if I just stuck with my big twins.

Almost forgot, sportsters got the rubber mounted motor in 2004, and that makes a significant improvement in vibration (I have a 2000 883 also, affectionately call it the paint mixer, a bit of exaggeration of course). 2004 through 2006 also have carbs; I like those better for reliability, but admit a fuel injected model running good starts and runs better. Till it doesn't, and then it probably won't run at all...

If you find a Dyna and think part of the higher cost would be recovered by not having to replace the seat and rear shocks, don't, if it's stock, you'd probably want a more comfortable seat and replace the rear shocks on that, too. Although for rides under 100 miles, it would seem a big improvement over your current 500. But fixed up nice and comfy, you might find that 100 miles down the road, you're not ready to head back yet.

Last edited by Imold; 02-14-2019 at 04:44 PM.
kobie (04-21-2020)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:44 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by traxi
I'm considering getting a dyna or a sportster and one of the factors will be two up riding. The longest I'd realistically ride with my girlfriend is 50-75 miles. How well does a early 2000's/late 90's 1200 do for that? What can be done to make it a better experience for both of us? Thank you!
A Sporty can be made to ride pretty comfortable 2 up for the distances you're talking about.

Budget mod of some take off touring air shocks make a big improvement, or going all the way with some quality shocks can really transform the ride quality.

See Report HERE.

I'm 60 and would not hesitate to ride my Sporty coast to coast. Longest ride I've done on it is around 2500 miles. I've done a few comfort mods to it and it can make all the difference. One thing that will have a pretty major factor in comfort for you and her is getting a rubber mount, which means a 2004 or later model. You should be able to do that, and have $ left over for some nice mods, for your $6k budget.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: How well does a 1200 Sportster do for 2 up riding?