Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipes on Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:48 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Yeah in America you have the right to be loud and obnoxious no matter what it does to your bike. LOL

The video above from S&S tells it all. S&S is a long time performance parts supplier as well as engine builders. Same with Hammer performance. Not only do they design and engineer performance parts but are performance engine builders. They hold titles in drag racing as well as land speed records. They have tested almost every pipe and muffler on their dyno and is posted on their web site. I tend to listen to them as they wont guide you wrong.

Last edited by apache snow; 02-17-2019 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

The man asked about straight pipes.

There is no doubt that the Patriot Defender or a disc style pipe (like the SuperTrapp) is the close to the best you can do for performance, and it is not really loud...but he did not ask about that.

Regarding straight pipes, which is basically what the Short Shots are....

You can look at the dyno results over at Hammer Performance. The reference pipe was the Patriot Defender. You can compare that against the Short Shots.

http://hammerperf.com/ttxlexhaust.shtml#shortshots

@ 3.5k RPM:
SS: 69 ft-lbs
PD: 73 fl-lbs

@ 4k RPM:
SS: 76 ft-lbs
PD: 78 ft-lbs

@ 4.5K RPM:
SS: 80.5 ft-lbs
PD: 82 ft-lbs

The HP graphs are overlaid on the same scale so it's easier to see (ignoring the red no baffle graph)...

So... Just looking at the graphs presented, they seem to look pretty close going up with the Short Shots actually having a slight advantage between 2.75k and 3.4K, and again at 4.25k to 5.7k RPM. At 6K the PD takes over.

The question is... How much riding do most folks do above 6K RPM?

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Bama Lee (02-18-2019), RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Bama Lee
Road Warrior
Received 1,536 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by apache snow
Yeah in America you have the right to be loud and obnoxious no matter what it does to your bike. LOL

The video above from S&S tells it all. S&S is a long time performance parts supplier as well as engine builders. Same with Hammer performance. Not only do they design and engineer performance parts but are performance engine builders. They hold titles in drag racing as well as land speed records. They have tested almost every pipe and muffler on their dyno and is posted on their web site. I tend to listen to them as they wont guide you wrong.

these companies would also show their Mothers pushing the bikes as a better option IF it increased sales............

they sell a product

btw.....seems to me that you folks jumping the OP for asking about str8s are the "obnoxious" ones.......

Last edited by Bama Lee; 02-18-2019 at 11:53 AM.
RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

My 883 had the baffles removed when I got it, and my 1200 had straight drag pipes. The 883 had a serious case of backfiring when letting off the throttle or trying to cruise at low rpm. The 1200 had already had a larger low speed carb jet installed and the mix adjusted so it ran ok. I got stock pipes for both, and both had better low and midrange and smoother throttle response then.

Your '06 is the last year for carbs, and if runs ok with the screaming eagles, the carb has probably already had a larger low speed jet installed, and/or been tweaked the complicated way (that's for someone unafraid of modifying their carb). Even if has, you'll probably need to tweak the mixture screw with a pipe change to get it's sweet spot. You can tell if it's been worked on usually by the absence of the lead plug over the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. From the factory, carbed Harleys run very lean and reducing backpressure often results in lean backfires. I've found even with stock mufflers, the bike runs better with a size larger low speed jet, and with straight pipes, you'll probably need it. Even if you like the bike barking when you let off the throttle, running that lean is going to make it run hotter, too, not what you want with an air cooled motor.

Flat out high rpm gets more power with lower backpressure, but to get good all around performance out of straight pipes you need more than just carb work. I doubt I've ever redlined my sportsters and not really concerned with acceleration over 90, so the better mid range does better for almost all my riding, just depends what you want and how you ride as far as choosing louder pipes.

RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 01:38 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Congrats on your new bike.

I'm willing to bet most people yammering about "low end torque" and how awesome their opinion is, couldn't tell the difference between a rutabaga and a turnip if it was jammed up their tailpipe.

How many of the readers/posters have driven their bikes to the edge of it's performance potential, and have the expertise to criticize it? I'm willing to bet its.........zero. It ain't a freakin' race out there.

Find what you like, tune it properly, and enjoy it.

The following 2 users liked this post by TStephen:
Bama Lee (02-20-2019), RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:31 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior

Mines 110 HP and I have used it all on several occasions. I am an old hot redder, engine builder, and drag racer since the 1960s. Your crystal ball is flawed.

Last edited by apache snow; 02-19-2019 at 03:33 PM.
RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Mines 110 HP and I have used it all on several occasions. I am an old hot redder, engine builder, and drag racer since the 1960s. Your crystal ball is flawed.
I did qualify it by saying "most."

Either way, do what you want. If you enjoy it, who gives a rat's *** about all the naysayers and "experts" who have a better opinion than you?

Last edited by TStephen; 02-19-2019 at 03:42 PM.
RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 04:00 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior

I need to get my glasses, I fail to see most in this statement. Sorry.

How many of the readers/posters have driven their bikes to the edge of it's performance potential, and have the expertise to criticize it? I'm willing to bet its.........zero. It ain't a freakin' race out there.'

Maybe I'm a little Ill today. My rheumatoid arthritis is acting up. Have a good one.

Last edited by apache snow; 02-19-2019 at 04:07 PM.
RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

How many of the readers/posters have driven their bikes to the edge of it's performance potential, and have the expertise to criticize it? I'm willing to bet its.........zero. It ain't a freakin' race out there.'

Maybe I'm a little Ill today. My rheumatoid arthritis is acting up. Have a good one.
You're a regular keyboard commando aren't you?

"I'm willing to bet most people yammering about "low end torque" and how awesome their opinion is..."
There's the "most" you failed to see.

Anyone on the internet can be an "expert," on a forum, and every expert has another "expert" that explains why "expert" number 1 is wrong. It's futile to argue.

​​I don't claim to be an expert.

Either way (in my opinion), the average person (me) wants a responsive ride that's fun, and maybe sounds good too.

Trying to eke out the last ft lb of torque on the low end is not something we (mere average humans) concern ourselves about too much.

Have a good one.

RezDuane (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Anyway. My apologies. I'm the one acting like a keyboard commando.

Have a good night sir.

RezDuane (02-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Straight pipes on Sporty