Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new jiffy stand

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:24 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Installing new jiffy stand

Public service announcement-

I installed a new jiffy stand on my 2011 xl1200c. Piece of cake. Strapped it to garage center post and followed the manual.

If anyone has to do this, when you order the jiffy stand be sure to order a new pretzel clip and spring. I always carry a spare spring, but forgot to order the clip. Fortunately, the dealer had them in stock.

The old stand broke right at the end of the foot. So, the stand was usable, but very hard to grab with your heel. I was surprised as the part that broke off never has any weight on it. It’s the part that sticks up in the air when the bike is leaned over. Broke at/near the weld.

Last edited by JerseyDoug; 03-10-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Isn't the part that sticks up in the air the jiffy stop?

Your description of what broke is a little confusing ....When you say "broke right at the end of the foot" and then say the part that broke off was the part that sticks up in the air when the bike is leaned over.

....perhaps periodic maintenance and/or pre-ride checks would be in order and would have prevented such occurrence.

pics would be nice...

For me, if something doesn't look or feel right, I address it right away. My jiffy stand could go out and stop ...it could also come back to the up position... but sometimes when extended out, the stand did not seem to catch and engage the locking plate consistently (BT not Sporty). So I am replacing the entire mounting assembly and hardware. Closer inspection seems to look like metal fatigue were the stop catches the mount.

Last edited by hscic; 03-10-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer

Originally Posted by hscic
Isn't the part that sticks up in the air the jiffy stop?

Your description of what broke is a little confusing ....When you say "broke right at the end of the foot" and then say the part that broke off was the part that sticks up in the air when the bike is leaned over.

....perhaps periodic maintenance and/or pre-ride checks would be in order and would have prevented such occurrence.

pics would be nice...

For me, if something doesn't look or feel right, I address it right away. My jiffy stand could go out and stop ...it could also come back to the up position... but sometimes when extended out, the stand did not seem to catch and engage the locking plate consistently (BT not Sporty). So I am replacing the entire mounting assembly and hardware. Closer inspection seems to look like metal fatigue were the stop catches the mount.

You seem to be making a whole lot of assumptions. The purpose of my post was to remind folks to order the pretzel clip as it is not included with the jiffy stand. Obviously I included more information than needed. Lesson learned.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,724 Likes on 2,394 Posts

If you are requiring a new spring then why not add the bushings as well. In fact go the whole hog and get a new clevis pin. Do the lot.

After washing my bike I always put some oil on the spring. Mine is only 18 months old so relatively new. I have had the Jiffy stand off and there is rust where the stand makes contact with the frame so I put some anti seize grease on those areas.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:39 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
If you are requiring a new spring then why not add the bushings as well. In fact go the whole hog and get a new clevis pin. Do the lot.

After washing my bike I always put some oil on the spring. Mine is only 18 months old so relatively new. I have had the Jiffy stand off and there is rust where the stand makes contact with the frame so I put some anti seize grease on those areas.
I didn't need a new spring, but, since I had the stand off I figured I'd replace it. If the spring fails, that's a problem, so I always carry a spare. Preventative. The pretzel clip is a required replacement (should probably get a spare one of those as well). The clevis pin and bushings? No worse for the wear. I inspected them, cleaned them up and they are good to go. Put anti-seize lubricant on everything and put it all back together. Good to go.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

No assumptions...just clarifying information posted as it was not clear. My bad if your intent was just to notify forum members you need a pretzel clip.

A couple years back, I posted a how-to thread that included this information. The forum has a wealth of information....a search before you do something on your bike may save you some time..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...or-spring.html

Glad you got it fixed and back on the road.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,724 Likes on 2,394 Posts

I was able to do the same as BensonUK. It didn't take a great deal of effort either. Spring is 18months old and kept well oiled.

I have to wonder what happens to the pretzel clips that they can only be used once. I took mine off very carefully and couldn't see any difference to the new one I put back on.