Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Sportster 72, running rich!!!!

Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Sciencediet66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shanneba
Check around your O2 sensor connections. Nightrider offers a device that plug into the O2 sensor connectors to change the O2 sensor voltage reported to the ECU.
http://sales.nightrider.com/vied.htm....com/vied.html

This is the adjustable ViED that can intercept the O2 voltage and adjust it to make the ECU think it needs to add more fuel:

This is the older XL 883/1200 type.

I did a wire tuck on it and I definitely did not notice any of those large connectors I do have the small white and purple blue cables but they were very minimal and did not have the large end bits. No clue how my days going but as soon as I’m able to get home and take some photos I’ll definitely put them up about the speedo what lights I currently have on and if I’m able to find any codes thank you all for your help really it’s awesome to be in a community where you can get some advice and not have to pay for it out right y’all are rock stars.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:17 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

The bike could still have a tune on it without finding a tuner installed. If the last owner used a fp3 to tune it then you will not have the device hooked to the bike. Im betting at one time or another the bike was tuned rich for some reason, and never retuned after mods were removed, or just someone with a fp3 that tuned it too rich for oem parts.

The following users liked this post:
Sciencediet66 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Sciencediet66
Novice

Originally Posted by whylee
The bike could still have a tune on it without finding a tuner installed. If the last owner used a fp3 to tune it then you will not have the device hooked to the bike. Im betting at one time or another the bike was tuned rich for some reason, and never retuned after mods were removed, or just someone with a fp3 that tuned it too rich for oem parts.
That is one thought I have about it, which is why I’m trying to find out how to reset the ECM to factor tune.
Some posted a how-to on it for models before 2015, mine is 2016. Someone did mention draining the ECM by taking out the battery which I will try.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:51 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Taking out the battery will not reset the tune.
A dealer might be able to flash the original tune to your ECU.
Replacement ECUs come blank (and the same part number usually fits several models).
They should be able to tell if it has different tune (Like a HD Stage 1 tune)

Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Sciencediet66
Novice

Originally Posted by shanneba
Taking out the battery will not reset the tune.
A dealer might be able to flash the original tune to your ECU.
Replacement ECUs come blank (and the same part number usually fits several models).
They should be able to tell if it has different tune (Like a HD Stage 1 tune)
Understood but there is a way on at least the 2015 and down models to reset the ECM to stock from factory setting and trim levels. Without needed the bill from an HD service rep.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

The only way to reset the tune on my 2014 is to reflash the ECM.

Last edited by apache snow; 03-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Sciencediet66
Novice

Originally Posted by apache snow
The only way to reset the tune on my 2015 is to reflash the ECM.
Well the info is from a How to page listed on the forum, perhaps it's mistaken.

https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...set-ecm-412798

Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

I think that is to reset them to stock to wipe out learned settings while riding. When an ECM is flashed with a high performance tune you cant wipe it out that way. A stock tune will have to be flashed at a dealer or use a Power Vision tuner. Say if some one uses a power vision tuner and reflashes to a performance tune they save the stock tune in the power vision tuner and then add the performance tune to the ECM and remove the tuner from the bike. So the stock tune is not in the ECM to change back to.

Last edited by apache snow; 03-11-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Sciencediet66
Novice

Originally Posted by apache snow
I think that is to reset them to stock to wipe out learned settings while riding. When an ECM is flashed with a high performance tune you cant wipe it out that way. A stock tune will have to be flashed at a dealer or use a Power Vision tuner. Say if some one uses a power vision tuner and reflashes to a performance tune they save the stock tune in the power vision tuner and then add the performance tune to the ECM and remove the tuner from the bike. So the stock tune is not in the ECM to change back to.
Oh I see that makes the most tragic of sense but I guess I understand can I have people Undoing work on a bike. Well right now from what I’ve been able to obtain from some talkative Harley service people. The sending unit on the gas pump may be bad causing too much gasoline to be sent, the ECUs code might be bad from the previous owner, the ECU might be Fragged, or The bike may have codes that I’m not able to see because of a defect in the speedometer. My speedometer works however the gas light on the speedometer does not which another person on the form said this can be due to somebody messing with it to avoid the check engine light coming on. I’m gonna ride around again this weekend see what my MPG is then see if anything is gotten better or worse I am considering just taking it to Harley to see if they can do a flash to stock and see if that fixes The current issue which would be great.If not I move into the round of more expensive options.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Sciencediet66
Novice
Default Codes I found

All right y’all bear with me I’m new to this so I just found out how to check for codes on the bike I thought it was like a car and the light stays on when it has a code and I was wrong. So I’m going to list the codes I have if you guys have any advice on what this code might be from I’m also going to be googling but Maybe somebody has had this combination of codes on their bike and can offer some insight.

EMC P0131
BCM 62141, 62146, 62151, 62156
SPDO 62272

When I was in the diagnostic table my gas light does come on so there’s nothing wrong with the instrument panel however I feel there may be something wrong with the gas pump not sending the signal I’ve yet to check any of these codes probably one of them tells me exactly that or maybe not. Further I got some PN codes after the long code so maybe those help figure out what these are Ill list them.

EMC pn001253-01
BCM pn69994-128
SPDO 70900221A

once more im going to be looking these up now but maybe someone who has had them on a 2016 knows what they relate to quicker then a google search.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Sportster 72, running rich!!!!