Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Harley 48 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 PM
jpkroken
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 170 Rear Tire Conversion!

Finally got everything needed to convert the rear tire to a 170/70-16.

Used the original wheel hub and spokes and laced it to a new 16" x 4.5" width rim.
Laced it and trued it myself which didn't prove to be that difficult.

Popped the bead off the old rim with an old piece of aluminum extrusion laying around the garage. Leverage is definitely your friend

These tire irons sucked - but got the job done

Labeled all of the spokes and placed the tape right where the spoke nipple was seated - might have helped keep the rim close to true but probably an unnecessary step

The labeled spokes did help when truing the rim (ex// I knew if I had a bump between the 5th and 12th spoke that I needed to tighten)

Currently just mounted it up after the tire was back on the rim. It looks off center but I stupidly put the wheel on backwards because I was rushing just to see what it looked like. The offset of the rim should be right in the middle as I was pretty particular with measuring before and after on the truing stand.

The 4.5" rim really makes for the full effect of the 170 width. Loving the look so far!

I will definitely post more pictures once this project is fully complete!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

looks like my old crotch rocket now, i still dont get the Big dog or OCC or show bike look fat tire look on a Sporty.......how far can you lean it over now compared to stock, not far i think

still looks good tho, we all have a vision

Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 PM
jpkroken
Intermediate

I'm just building the bike the way I like. The 48 has a wider front tire than other Sportster models when stock - I haven't seen anyone complain about its handling comparatively. I went with a wider tank (couldn't stand he 2.2 gallon tank), fatter front headlight, wider bars, fork boots to make the front end look bigger. Since I was due for new tires it only seemed right to go with the 170mm which is only increased from a 150 stock. Same outer diameter of the tire as the stock. Some people go with the 17 x 5" wheel and 180 rear which I could definitely see throwing off the dynamics of the bike.

Still not ready to ride though, I need to balance the wheels but I'm waiting on weights.. I will definitely report back on the difference in how the bike handles!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:35 PM
jpkroken
Intermediate
Default Installed an Extra Plate Clutch Kit

Decided to install an extra Plate clutch kit on the bike since all of the parts, replacement gaskets, and tools were included by the previous owner when I purchased the bike. Also put on a new Kuryakyn derby cover a week ago. Matching points cover and drive pulley cover should be coming tomorrow!

This whole project started because I needed a new Derby cover gasket - you can see the evidence of my last one leaking by how oily the bottom of the primary cover is

The previous owner also gave me the clutch compressor tool

Only took about an hour from start to finish with all new gaskets, new primary case oil and new engine oil/filter

Last edited by jpkroken; 06-13-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Iron X
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nicely done. Looks really good.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Zateeva
looks like my old crotch rocket now, i still dont get the Big dog or OCC or show bike look fat tire look on a Sporty.......how far can you lean it over now compared to stock, not far i think

still looks good tho, we all have a vision

The lean angle makes no difference, I have had this configuration on my 48 for a year now.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:51 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

The bike looks good so far

Old 06-14-2019, 08:10 AM
NPV288
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The tire swap is awesome! I have a few questions:
  • The tire looks a bit baloonish on the small sporty, is there a way to get a lower profile or is it just the angle of your picture?
  • Which 4.5" rim did you use?
  • Do you have prior experience truing rims or could a novice take this on?

I am also in NY, NYC to be specific!

Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 AM
jpkroken
Intermediate

I will take more pics at some point and post. I just got a few new parts so Ill throw them on and get a few different angles of the rear wheel.
The tire I used is a 170/70-16 - the 70 refers to 70% sidewall height compared to the width of the tire. Looking from the side its exactly the same circumference as the stock 150/80-16 and also the same as the stock front tire at a 130/90-16.
I believe the circumference would also be the same with a 180/65-16, but then you would run into issues with belt clearance and have to do a chain conversion or mess with pulley spacers.
I used https://tiresize.com/calculator/ before deciding which tire size to go with.

That being said you could look for a 170/60-16 or different ratio but I am unsure of the availability.

I used a 4.5 x 16" wheel that was from Germany on Ebay. Shipping took about 2 weeks to Rochester NY. NYC would be a bit quicker for international shipments. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253487692149

I don't have any prior experience with lacing and truing wheels but I do have a lot of experience with working on cars and bikes so my confidence was high. The whole process probably took me 5 hours and 6 beers. Lots of patience and slowly tightening each spoke to minimize wheel hop and lateral movement. Mine is dialed in to less than 1mm out of true, then I ran out of beer and patience haha. Feels extremely smooth when on the highway even at higher speeds and around curves. Lots of youtube tutorials with good information on truing

Old 06-15-2019, 04:49 PM
jpkroken
Intermediate

New Derby cover, Points cover, and Front pulley cover with a steel mesh look that matches the mesh on the chin spoiler. And a few more pics of the new 170 rear tire from a few different angles.

The following 2 users liked this post by jpkroken:
Bryan83taco (01-11-2020), Threeheadedshadow (12-04-2020)

Quick Reply: 2013 Harley 48 Build Thread